The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: The Departed

Post by Bobster »

Reliever Robert Stephenson, traded to TB in June for Alika Williams, has a 2.93 ERA in 30 games for the Rays. In 27.2 innings, he has given up only 13 hits and 7 walks along with 42 strikeouts for an amazing WHIP of 0.723. He leads the Rays' staff with an average of 13.7 strikeouts per 9 innings. Even better than Tyler Glasnow's 11.8 Ks/9 IP. But the Pirate BP was so strong, they didn't need Stephenson as much as they needed another light-hitting middle infielder. :roll: Of course just like Glasnow, Stephenson had to leave the Pirates to become a better pitcher. I guess it's time to give Oscar Marin a contract extension.

Speaking of Glasnow, he's got an ERA of 3.12 in 86.2 innings with only 64 hits and 27 walks and 114 Ks.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Stephenson had a sore elbow this season. He pitched very well last season. Nothing to do with Marin. The Pirates were looking to promote Gonzales, Peguero at some point, Marcano was injured, cruz was injured, Bae eventually was injured, Triolo can only play third, Mathias was a statue in the field. Williams was just going to be organizational depth, I highly doubt there was any intention of him being with the Pirates this season, but things go awry. The Pirates also had issues down the line in the minors with injuries and supsensions. Matt Gorski had to be used to play second base one night in Altoona.

Yes, the ORGANIZATION needed someone, and they needed someone versatile. He's a former 37th round pick. Just because Stephenson is finally healed up and pitching well again like he did for us last season, doesn't mean it's a bad trade.

Take in a bigger picture.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

When Hedges was traded the stories were that the Rangers appreciated his defensive skills and had a strong lineup that was able to compensate for his lack of hitting. But Hedges has been with Texas the entire month of August and started 2 games. He's only appeared for late inning defense in 5 others. The Rangers have the highest team BA in the AL and 2nd in MLB only to Atlanta. Yet they don't value Hedges' defense enough to use him. Makes you wonder why the Pirates thought he was so valuable behind the plate that they had to suffer his lack of hitting in a lineup that struggled mightily to score runs.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Rodolfo Castro is tearing it up for the Phillies. With his 0 for 2 last night against the Angels, he has now had a whopping 4 at bats since August 18th. Evene though bailey Falter hasn't done as well as I would have hoped, it still is a clear advantage for the Bucs on that trade.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:11 pm Rodolfo Castro is tearing it up for the Phillies. With his 0 for 2 last night against the Angels, he has now had a whopping 4 at bats since August 18th. Evene though bailey Falter hasn't done as well as I would have hoped, it still is a clear advantage for the Bucs on that trade.
He reminded me of Jose Castillo, Javy. Both showed potential early but then, for whatever reason, never got better. In fact, both regressed. The Pirates got much better when they rid themselves of Castro and the Phillies have probably already concluded they will be, too, when they do the same.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Choi hurt again. Broken Lis Franc in foot.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Osushawn wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:03 pm Choi hurt again. Broken Lis Franc in foot.
That happened in a rehab game in AAA after he was on the IL with a rib injury. He's only been in 7 games for SD. (0 for 11).
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I would say hat thge bucs got the better of the deal
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I had forgotten about Chad Kuhl. He was released by the Nats in late June with an ERA of 8.45. Doesn't appear he was picked up by anyone.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Padres put Rich Hill (9.27 ERA) on waivers.