Official Game Thread - 9/8 - Bucs @ Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 9/8 - Bucs @ Braves

Post by Doc »

Finally, the real Braves show up. Forget a single, Rosario homers. 7-0 Braves.
Doc

Post by Doc »

This game really shows the difference between the haves and the have nots. The Braves have seven players with 20 or more home runs. Four of those guys have 30+ HRs. The Pirates have one player with 20 or more.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I just lost the MLB Feed. There is a God :lol: :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

I’m old enough to have seen Willie Mays play many games, both in person and on television. He was, without question, the best player of his time. No one compared. He did everything better than everyone else.

But I’m looking at Ronald Acuna and I’m wondering if he’s Mays’ equal. This guy is other-worldly. Acuna plays RF as opposed to the premier outfield position as Mays did, but I’m not sure that disqualifies him.

There were great players who were contemporaries of Mays, like Henry Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Willie McCovey, Stan Musial, Reggie Jackson, but none of them had all of what Mays had.

Acuna also plays against current players who are amazing. But other than Mike Trout, I’m not sure anyone else can do all of what he can do. He’s freakishly good. Maybe even as good as Willie Mays?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nice to see the Bucs get off the mat and score two on a HR by Suwinski. 8-2 Braves.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I watched a lot of Braves games back in the 80`s -90`s. Could of been a fan ? :?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Well, except for the third and fourth innings, the Bucs played great. This could be a really long weekend.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Doc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:55 am I’m old enough to have seen Willie Mays play many games, both in person and on television. He was, without question, the best player of his time. No one compared. He did everything better than everyone else.

But I’m looking at Ronald Acuna and I’m wondering if he’s Mays’ equal. This guy is other-worldly. Acuna plays RF as opposed to the premier outfield position as Mays did, but I’m not sure that disqualifies him.

There were great players who were contemporaries of Mays, like Henry Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, Willie McCovey, Stan Musial, Reggie Jackson, but none of them had all of what Mays had.

Acuna also plays against current players who are amazing. But other than Mike Trout, I’m not sure anyone else can do all of what he can do. He’s freakishly good. Maybe even as good as Willie Mays?
I’m old enough to have seen Mays, Aaron, Clemente etc.
I have yet to see anyone rival Clemente’s arm.
With regards to Mays he was a “5 tool player” but players today are bigger, stronger and more fit. Todays players are also facing pitchers that regularly throw 100+ MPH. In addition Mays would see the starting pitcher 3-4 times a game which is a huge advantage over todays batters that are lucky to see the same pitcher twice. If Acuna continues to put up these ridiculous stats, I have to give my nod to him. I don’t think Mays would have those numbers in todays game.
Another player I find to be amazing is Mookie Betts. I cannot believe the amount of power he generates from his small frame. Altuve is short but he is stocky and has a strong lower body. Betts is simply a freak!
Doc

Post by Doc »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:48 am
Doc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:55 am I’m old enough to have seen Willie Mays play many games, both in person and on television. He was, without question, the best player of his time. No one compared. He did everything better than everyone else.

I’m old enough to have seen Mays, Aaron, Clemente etc.
I have yet to see anyone rival Clemente’s arm.
With regards to Mays he was a “5 tool player” but players today are bigger, stronger and more fit. Todays players are also facing pitchers that regularly throw 100+ MPH. In addition Mays would see the starting pitcher 3-4 times a game which is a huge advantage over todays batters that are lucky to see the same pitcher twice. If Acuna continues to put up these ridiculous stats, I have to give my nod to him. I don’t think Mays would have those numbers in todays game.
Another player I find to be amazing is Mookie Betts. I cannot believe the amount of power he generates from his small frame. Altuve is short but he is stocky and has a strong lower body. Betts is simply a freak!
Interesting that you point out Betts. He's another guy who can do everything really well. In fact, the Dodgers can bring him into the infield and he'll play shortstop (shortstop for crying out loud!), without missing a beat. He's an incredibly complete baseball player.