Rules Question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Rules Question

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just watched a video of a recent walk off win by the Pirates Bradenton single A team. The hitter singled into the outfield he touched first, the runner from third touched home. As I looked at the video the runner who was on second base ran towards third base, but never touched the base, and ran over to celebrate with his teammates. If there were two outs shouldn’t he touch third base before he goes to celebrate the win ? I am thinking he should touch the base before celebrating.
Doc

Re: Rules Question

Post by Doc »

Yes, he was forced to run to third base and touch it. If the defending team threw the ball to third and touched the base, he would’ve been ruled out because the force play rule is in effect, even with the apparent winning run scoring. The game would’ve then moved to the 10th inning. If there were no outs or one out, he wouldn’t be required to touch third because, if he didn’t, and the defending team touched third, the inning wouldn’t be over, but the game would be because the runner originally on third would’ve scored, thus ending the game.

If you’ve not heard of Merkle’s Boner, I suggest you Google it. It’s one of the great game-changing and, ultimately, pennant-deciding plays in baseball history. It happened in 1908, probably the year of the greatest pennant race ever. I recommend a book called, “Crazy ‘08” about that season. It was indeed crazy.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

You mentioned runners at 2B and 3B but didn't say if there had been a runner at 1B before the game winning single. If the runner at 2B had to go to 3B on the hit because there was also a runner at 1B, then the defense could have thrown to 3B and got a force out. If there were already 2 outs, that would be a force out and negate the run from scoring. But if the scenario was only runners at 2B and 3B before the walk off single, then the runner at 2B was not forced to advance to 3B. It would be no different than if he had remained at 2B while the winning run scored from 3B. Once the run scores, it's irrelevant whether the runner at 2B advanced to 3B if he was not forced to advance.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:52 pm You mentioned runners at 2B and 3B but didn't say if there had been a runner at 1B before the game winning single. If the runner at 2B had to go to 3B on the hit because there was also a runner at 1B, then the defense could have thrown to 3B and got a force out. If there were already 2 outs, that would be a force out and negate the run from scoring. But if the scenario was only runners at 2B and 3B before the walk off single, then the runner at 2B was not forced to advance to 3B. It would be no different than if he had remained at 2B while the winning run scored from 3B. Once the run scores, it's irrelevant whether the runner at 2B advanced to 3B if he was not forced to advance.
Good catch, Bobster. I assumed there was also a runner at 1B but, in rereading the post, he didn’t write that. So you’re correct, the runner on second was not required to touch 3B. I no longer wonder why I spent my school years in remedial reading class.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:10 pm
Bobster wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:52 pm You mentioned runners at 2B and 3B but didn't say if there had been a runner at 1B before the game winning single. If the runner at 2B had to go to 3B on the hit because there was also a runner at 1B, then the defense could have thrown to 3B and got a force out. If there were already 2 outs, that would be a force out and negate the run from scoring. But if the scenario was only runners at 2B and 3B before the walk off single, then the runner at 2B was not forced to advance to 3B. It would be no different than if he had remained at 2B while the winning run scored from 3B. Once the run scores, it's irrelevant whether the runner at 2B advanced to 3B if he was not forced to advance.
Good catch, Bobster. I assumed there was also a runner at 1B but, in rereading the post, he didn’t write that. So you’re correct, the runner on second was not required to touch 3B. I no longer wonder why I spent my school years in remedial reading class.
Thank you both for your comments. There were only runners on second and third base with two outs. When I saw that runner who was on second base just run past third base I thought what was he thinking. I appreciate comments from you both.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:10 pm
Thank you both for your comments. There were only runners on second and third base with two outs. When I saw that runner who was on second base just run past third base I thought what was he thinking. I appreciate comments from you both.
The only way that situation would have been a problem is if the runner from 2B, who left his base and never went to 3B, would have been tagged by the defense for the 3rd out before the runner from 3B had scored.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Doc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:47 pm Yes, he was forced to run to third base and touch it. If the defending team threw the ball to third and touched the base, he would’ve been ruled out because the force play rule is in effect, even with the apparent winning run scoring. The game would’ve then moved to the 10th inning. If there were no outs or one out, he wouldn’t be required to touch third because, if he didn’t, and the defending team touched third, the inning wouldn’t be over, but the game would be because the runner originally on third would’ve scored, thus ending the game.

If you’ve not heard of Merkle’s Boner, I suggest you Google it. It’s one of the great game-changing and, ultimately, pennant-deciding plays in baseball history. It happened in 1908, probably the year of the greatest pennant race ever. I recommend a book called, “Crazy ‘08” about that season. It was indeed crazy.
Haven't heard of Merkle's Boner in years. Funny thing was, John McGraw defended Merkle after that play, blaming someone else, but a few years later he cut Merkle for failing to catch a pop-up that cost the Giants a close game in another pennant race.