JollyRoger8

Re: Another Tank job ?

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Doc is right
Without a salary floor a salary cap in meaningless
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

and if the cap is say 250 million and the floor is even 100 million it really doesn't help the Bucs.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:54 pm and if the cap is say 250 million and the floor is even 100 million it really doesn't help the Bucs.
I think in order for a cap/floor to work, both numbers need to be the close to the same. In other words, every team would have to spend between, say, $145-150 million. The union would never agree to it even though more players would make more money.

The stars would be crushed under this system, which is why the union would be opposed. Their argument would be that, under the current contract, the high wages earned by the best players helps to drag up salaries for everyone. One solution might be that players in their first three years would be paid a minimum, like now, but then, for all other players, salaries would be determined by negotiations. (That might get the union to agree.) As now, players would continue to reach free agency in their sixth year.

The hard part would be deciding what the cap and floor numbers would be. The small market teams would need help in reaching the number but they’re getting help now so that should be able to be worked out.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:18 pm
Ecbucs wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:54 pm and if the cap is say 250 million and the floor is even 100 million it really doesn't help the Bucs.
I think in order for a cap/floor to work, both numbers need to be the close to the same. In other words, every team would have to spend between, say, $145-150 million. The union would never agree to it even though more players would make more money.

The stars would be crushed under this system, which is why the union would be opposed. Their argument would be that, under the current contract, the high wages earned by the best players helps to drag up salaries for everyone. One solution might be that players in their first three years would be paid a minimum, like now, but then, for all other players, salaries would be determined by negotiations. (That might get the union to agree.) As now, players would continue to reach free agency in their sixth year.

The hard part would be deciding what the cap and floor numbers would be. The small market teams would need help in reaching the number but they’re getting help now so that should be able to be worked out.
What ended up happening is the mid tier vets lost money, teams don't want to pay them, opting for youth instead. It's like the playoffs last season, when the Dodgers non-roster guys made more money than the Pirates entire team. It just ruins the game IMHO when teams can spend on guys that they have no qualms about paying not to play if they don't work out. All that does is drive up salaries needlessly. Low revenue teams can't afford to miss on a 100 million dollar contract.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I think for the players to be interested the total payroll across baseball can't go down. So a starting figure for a cap would be whatever the total payroll is for all the teams (perhaps average it over a few seasons) and then add a percentage to cover increases. Then the cap increases as revenue increases. Of course this basically assigns the players a percentage of revenue and they don't want to agree to that. Not sure that I blame the players for that I don't know if I would trust owners to report revenue correctly.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:54 pm

I think for the players to be interested the total payroll across baseball can't go down. So a starting figure for a cap would be whatever the total payroll is for all the teams (perhaps average it over a few seasons) and then add a percentage to cover increases. Then the cap increases as revenue increases. Of course this basically assigns the players a percentage of revenue and they don't want to agree to that. Not sure that I blame the players for that I don't know if I would trust owners to report revenue correctly.
Not trust the owners?!? :o I don't think even their wives and children trust them.