Official Game Thread - 8/27 - Bucs vs Cubbies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wildwoodcoach

Re: Official Game Thread - 8/27 - Bucs vs Cubbies

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I found it hard to believe to prior to today's game, Ian Happ was only batting .242
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just tuned in. The Bucs just love giving up multiple runs in innings.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Walked away for awhile and just came back to check the box score. I see we’ve managed three hits and have 10 strikeouts through the eighth. Seems about right.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I turned it off at 6-1. Just checked the score and it's 9-1. At least I didn't miss any Pirate hits. What a pathetic team.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Glad the wife talked me into turning off the game and getting back to my crochet project while she worked on making a beef roast. My granddaughter will be happy with the bedspread project I am working on.
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Really disappointed to get home, check the score, and see the Cubs dismantled the Pirates once again. IDK what it is about the Cubs this season that not only have they beaten us all but once this season, but it seems they've beaten in our brains every single time too.

Glad I went and watched Oppenheimer instead of suffering through another blowout.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

This Cub Series is a primary example of the difference between a club
heading to the playoffs and one that can only dream about it.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I’ve always loved baseball in September but this season has worn on me perhaps more than others. It’s going to be a struggle to pay attention next month. Maybe it was the fast start in April and then the migration of all the rookies to Pittsburgh that had me excited. But the months since, and then the mostly disappointing play of the youngsters, combined with the loss of Cruz so early, has crushed my spirit.

Something has to happen, some sort of miracle, to help turn this franchise around and set it on a path to winning. Maybe it’ll be Paul Skenes. But I’m losing faith that any player drafted or acquired by this organization can be a Ronald Acuna or Julio Rodriquez kind of talent. It seems like we’re doomed to inhabit the baseball depths for eternity.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

A rather sobering message from doc :x
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:29 pm I’ve always loved baseball in September but this season has worn on me perhaps more than others. It’s going to be a struggle to pay attention next month. Maybe it was the fast start in April and then the migration of all the rookies to Pittsburgh that had me excited. But the months since, and then the mostly disappointing play of the youngsters, combined with the loss of Cruz so early, has crushed my spirit.

Something has to happen, some sort of miracle, to help turn this franchise around and set it on a path to winning. Maybe it’ll be Paul Skenes. But I’m losing faith that any player drafted or acquired by this organization can be a Ronald Acuna or Julio Rodriquez kind of talent. It seems like we’re doomed to inhabit the baseball depths for eternity.
I feel the same way, Doc. We've been sold for several years on the idea that the organization had a strong system and we would begin to see signs of better times ahead with so many prospects making it to the MLB roster this year. Losing Cruz was a big blow. And then we find out they can't rust Davis to catch so they make him a butcher in RF and he hits .213. Nick Gonzales was optioned hitting .216. Castro washed out. Neither Bae, Rodriguez, Peguero nor Marcano have been able to reach .240. Then they trade for Williams to play SS and he can't even get to .230. Suwinski, who batted .202 last year is still hitting .202. Priester got a chance to pitch and it was a disaster. Ditto for Ortiz.

We don't expect these young guys to begin their careers like gangbusters. But none of the young guys has even flashed signs of being average. Every single one of them seems mired in their struggles. So how much improvement in upcoming years should we realistically expect. Are any destined for stardom or should we be happy if they just stop sucking? The law of averages was in their favor that somebody would have been a standout in their first chance in MLB. I find it hard to put faith in the organization when they can't point to a single prospect who made it to the MLB roster as an example of the improved talent that's supposedly being developed. And when 100% have difficulty adjusting to MLB, maybe the problem runs deeper, like in how they're being developed in the minors and handled in the majors.
There's no basement in the Alamo.