Pirates HOF game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Pirates HOF game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Does anyone know when the ceremony starts? I'm going with my dad.
Possum

Re: Pirates HOF game

Post by Possum »

The actual ceremony will take place before the game and will not be televised. For those fans who do go to the game, there will be an on-field ceremony to recognize the players and allow the fans to cheer for them.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

The game is on Fox. On one hand, it would seem better to hear the Pirates announcers for this HOF game. But on the other hand, it would be Joe Block. Just as well.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

SammyKhalifa wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:54 pm Does anyone know when the ceremony starts? I'm going with my dad.
Gates open at 5:30. I'd get there NLT 6. IDK if the ceremony pre-empts the normal pregame stuff, which starts a half hour before the game.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

It should be noted that for undisclosed reasons that Nutting was absent
for the Hall Of Fame Ceremonies. Not surprised.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:02 am It should be noted that for undisclosed reasons that Nutting was absent
Nobody went there wanting to see Nutting. I'm glad he wasn't there. It was a nice ceremony, btw, except Teke talked a little too long, but I get it. He is the alumni president, and speaking on behalf of those who couldn't. Kudos to the Cobra for being there, I'm sure doing this sort of thing isn't easy for him.

I'm glad Mister Man was there to watch the ceremony. There isn't a single guy he knows, and I only knew one. But I had some tears in my eyes thinking of my mom, who would have loved to have been there. She is the reason I'm a Pittsburgh fan in all things. She would talk about those guys on the 1960 team constantly. Too bad guys like you, Doc, and all the other old timers couldn't be there. It was really cool seeing a bunch of older folks in the stands, who were there for no other reason than that ceremony, because many of them around us didn't stay too long.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

The first year I went to a Pirates fantasy camp was 2000 and my team's coaches for the week were Groat and Teke. At that time Nellie Briles was head of the Alumni Assoc and ran the camp. Briles had a great personality, a great storyteller, funny and lobbied the HOF Veterans Committee to get Maz into the HOF. Teke eventually took over the Alumni Assoc. Groat and Teke were amazing to spend a week with. They couldn't be nicer and Groat told me some interesting things about his career. In another year, my coaches were Face and Frank Thomas. Thomas was quite a character, the gruff but lovable type. Face was quiet but I had a great conversation with him at the hotel bar talking about has 18-1 season. He was very candid about vulturing a lot of those wins. Glad to see those guys honored this weekend.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:14 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:02 am It should be noted that for undisclosed reasons that Nutting was absent
Nobody went there wanting to see Nutting. I'm glad he wasn't there. It was a nice ceremony, btw, except Teke talked a little too long, but I get it. He is the alumni president, and speaking on behalf of those who couldn't. Kudos to the Cobra for being there, I'm sure doing this sort of thing isn't easy for him.

I'm glad Mister Man was there to watch the ceremony. There isn't a single guy he knows, and I only knew one. But I had some tears in my eyes thinking of my mom, who would have loved to have been there. She is the reason I'm a Pittsburgh fan in all things. She would talk about those guys on the 1960 team constantly. Too bad guys like you, Doc, and all the other old timers couldn't be there. It was really cool seeing a bunch of older folks in the stands, who were there for no other reason than that ceremony, because many of them around us didn't stay too long.
I was eight years old in 1960, already a budding baseball fan, but that team turned me into a baseball nut, as much as a little boy could be. Since I played SS on my pre-Little league team, Groat became my instant idol. I was so upset when he was traded to St. Louis that I became a Cardinals fan and remain one to this day. I had a chance to meet him a couple of times at his golf course where he was always so kind and gracious. I would’ve liked to have gone yesterday but, without Groat being there, and having met Face, Friend, and Tekulve in the past, I wasn’t as compelled. Perhaps I’ll come to regret it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It was really nice. I went with my one brother and my Dad. He was at Game Seven, as he likes to contstantly tell everyone. :D He'll also tell you that it was the only time he was allowed to skip school.

I know some people look down on this, but the fireworks were really great too. Other than the game it was a good night put on by the Pirates.

Obligatory cellphone pics:

Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Great pics, Sammy!