old rules question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

old rules question

Post by Ecbucs »

I don't think this is accurate but I saw a post on another board about the dead ball days. The claim is that players got credit for a stolen base when advancing on a fly ball.

I do seem to remember that there was some sort of rule that inflated Sliding Billy Hamilton's stats but can't remember any details.

I'm pretty confident that more than one person on Only Bucs knows about old time rules and scoring decisions. Don't be modest and keep this info to yourself.
Surgnbuck

Re: old rules question

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc is pretty old, he should know. IDK how old, but when he was a young man, there were no women, had to make one from his rib or something.

Yes that was a rule. There were some pretty crazy rules regarding balls and strikes that kept changing. A ball that bounced over a fence was a home run, not a ground rule double.

That's why I find it interesting where people draw the line about the rule or rules changes that makes someone say that it's no longer baseball to them. Baseball has always tinkered with the rules. I hate artificial surfaces, ghost runner, banning shifts. I'm okay with larger bases and pitch clocks. Not a fan of replay outside of catch/no catch or force out calls. I'm completely okay with robotic balls and strikes. I'm okay with the DH, but hate the Ohtani rule and 3 batter minimums.

But it's still baseball to me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with change, I love how everyone has their "I'm okay with this" or their "No way, no how." Love the discussions, seeing the passion
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:39 pm I don't think this is accurate but I saw a post on another board about the dead ball days. The claim is that players got credit for a stolen base when advancing on a fly ball.

I do seem to remember that there was some sort of rule that inflated Sliding Billy Hamilton's stats but can't remember any details.

I'm pretty confident that more than one person on Only Bucs knows about old time rules and scoring decisions. Don't be modest and keep this info to yourself.
I'm certain there have been no rule changes abouts SBs since Billy Hamilton made his debut in 2013. His are legit. Never heard anything about a SB on a fly ball but who knows what the rules were in the early 1900s?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:00 pm Doc is pretty old, he should know. IDK how old, but when he was a young man, there were no women, had to make one from his rib or something.

Yes that was a rule. There were some pretty crazy rules regarding balls and strikes that kept changing. A ball that bounced over a fence was a home run, not a ground rule double.

That's why I find it interesting where people draw the line about the rule or rules changes that makes someone say that it's no longer baseball to them. Baseball has always tinkered with the rules. I hate artificial surfaces, ghost runner, banning shifts. I'm okay with larger bases and pitch clocks. Not a fan of replay outside of catch/no catch or force out calls. I'm completely okay with robotic balls and strikes. I'm okay with the DH, but hate the Ohtani rule and 3 batter minimums.

But it's still baseball to me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with change, I love how everyone has their "I'm okay with this" or their "No way, no how." Love the discussions, seeing the passion
Love that Surg. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's Go Bucs
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I figured I would ask on Only Bucs as I know there are some posters that know a lot about the history of the game. I didn't come around until some games were televised.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:00 pm Doc is pretty old, he should know. IDK how old, but when he was a young man, there were no women, had to make one from his rib or something.

That’s just so much BS! I was never a young man.

Regarding baseball always tinkering with its rules: it’s accurate to say that in the latter half of the 19th Century, those overseeing the game made adjustments regularly in an effort to improve it but, pretty much from the inception of the American League in 1901, the rules stayed virtually the same until 1969 when the mound was lowered. Then over the next 50 years came the DH, Interleague play, the replay system, and then the handful of changes that have come in the past couple of years. So for a large part of its history, especially during the professional era, baseball hardly changed.

My issue, and I’d bet with many others, with the changes that have come beginning with the inception of the DH is that they’ve changed the game in a way that was too altering, and unnecessary in my view. Those changes haven’t driven me away, like the changes made in the NFL did, but I haven’t learned to like any of them, either.