Extra Innings Rule

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Extra Innings Rule

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I guess I am old school being 70 years old, but I don’t like the current extra innings rule. Since they adopted the rule during the Covid season I wonder what the percentage is that the home team has won the game. It just appears that if the visiting team fails to score the runner from second base and possibly an additional run, the advantage goes to the home team. I think I heard that the Pirates are now 2-6 in extra inning games this season. Someone said a while back that the league should play at least two or three extra innings, before placing the runner on second base. I know the league wants to promote shorter games, but I feel this rule favors the home team more than the visiting team.
Doc

Re: Extra Innings Rule

Post by Doc »

There isn’t a single thing I like about the extra-inning rule. It’s as if we’re in gym class and the teacher has to end the game quickly so that everyone won’t be late to their next class. Besides, there’s little to be said for anything that’s contrived. It’s simply not baseball.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

This is the only new rule that I can't find anything positive about. I agree, I think it favors the home team more. I still don't get why teams (depending on the part of the order) especially at home, don't intentionally walk the first guy to set up a possible double play, thereby increasing the chances the visiting team can't just use two productive outs to score a run, it would require two solid fly balls in a row.

I think about how poor bunting is in general. If it were better across the board, I think these games would go on just as long, because everyone would be bunting the guy to third, than a sac. Over and over and over.

The worst part is, there's an advantage to one team quite often depending on who the ghost runner is. If MLB truly wants to use this to speed up the ending of a game, allow the teams to place whoever they want at second, providing there's no chance his spot in the order doesn't come up while he's on base, if the player is still in the game. This would also include anyone that was substituted during the game. I mean, if you're going to do something incredibly stupid, let's go full Monty on it. By potentially putting your fastest guy on second, the chances of a potential steal to get to third with no one out adds another element of strategy/risk.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I hate the rule and rarely watch games after 9 innings. But if we must have this abomination of a rule, then start it after the 12th inning. That allows for 3 normal extra innings and the lineup to turn over before changing the rules just to get the game over.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:36 pm I hate the rule and rarely watch games after 9 innings. But if we must have this abomination of a rule, then start it after the 12th inning. That allows for 3 normal extra innings and the lineup to turn over before changing the rules just to get the game over.
I agree if Baseball wants to play extra innings with a runner on second base to begin an inning, first play 3 innings of regular baseball to see if one of the teams could win the game under the normal rules. If the game is still tied, begin the 13th inning with the runner on second base.