Colin Moran

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

Why is is impossible for him to supplant
or take time from Bell at 1b?    If he can field 1b league average, he's better than Bell right now since Bell has comparable offensive value to Moran and huge negative defensive value himself. Also if Morans bat improves as some suspect it will and the defense is league average, are we not better off with him at 1b if he can field it and a real 3bman playing third?

As of this moment, only Freese is better at 3b and it's very marginal vs RHP. I would say yes because of defense, others I know would say Moran is better so it's not an issue.   The situation is coming to a head soon, however.

Ecbucs

Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

2D242C3D33490 wrote: Why is is impossible for him to supplant
or take time from Bell at 1b?    If he can field 1b league average, he's better than Bell right now since Bell has comparable offensive value to Moran and huge negative defensive value himself. Also if Morans bat improves as some suspect it will and the defense is league average, are we not better off with him at 1b if he can field it and a real 3bman playing third?

I do wonder if it's just name and former prospect status with some of these guys, or does what they're actually doing and likely to do  (particularly defensively) come into play at some point?

As of this moment, only Freese is better at 3b and it's very marginal.  So it's not an issue.   The situation is coming to a head soon however.

If Bell doesn't get his power back Moran could get time at first. right now I think the team needs to see if Bell can start hitting homers. He needs to homer about every 25 at bats to have enough power for first.

Only one homer in June and July for Bell.
SCBucco

Colin Moran

Post by SCBucco »

72535B725951360 wrote: Gotta say this about Moran.  He has one All-Star and near MVB* quality!  The beard guys!   

*  Most Valuable Beard!   ;D

Again, he needs to be told the Pens were out of the playoffs a few months ago.
SCBucco

Colin Moran

Post by SCBucco »

735554435545360 wrote: Why is is impossible for him to supplant

I do wonder if it's just name and former prospect status with some of these guys, or does what they're actually doing and likely to do  (particularly defensively) come into play at some point?

As of this moment, only Freese is better at 3b and it's very marginal.  So it's not an issue.   The situation is coming to a head soon however.

If Bell doesn't get his power back Moran could get time at first.  right now I think the team needs to see if Bell can start hitting homers.  He needs to homer about every 25 at bats to have enough power for first. 

Maybe its just me, but Bell is hitting. His average is up from the low .250s to .270 in a short period of time. Yes, homers are cool and you expect that from corner infielders, but the fact he is putting the ball in play with hits is very encouraging.
Ecbucs

Colin Moran

Post by Ecbucs »

1A0A0B3C2A2A26490 wrote: Why is is impossible for him to supplant

If Bell doesn't get his power back Moran could get time at first.  right now I think the team needs to see if Bell can start hitting homers.  He needs to homer about every 25 at bats to have enough power for first. 

Maybe its just me, but Bell is hitting.  His average is up from the low .250s to .270 in a short period of time.  Yes, homers are cool and you expect that from corner infielders, but the fact he is putting the ball in play with hits is very encouraging.

yes, he has hit 353 over last 28 days which is 79 plate appearances. (24-68) with 1 triple, 6 doubles. 10 walks and 11 strikeouts.
RichD

Colin Moran

Post by RichD »

Yeah Moran is kinda starting off like Jeff King and Jose Bautista.

So we better give him a chance and see it through. He is not hurting the team batting lower in the order. >:(
RichD

Colin Moran

Post by RichD »

As far as Bell goes he is not a power hitter .Last year was a fluke and he had big strikeout numbers too for him.

He is more Mark Grace …..300 + Avg and 40 2B with 15 hr . Just look at his MILB history.

I bet you by season end he will be 290 / 37 2b and 13 hr with less than 100 strikeouts . He is a 2 or 3 or 5 hitter in order. Always has been . years to come he will be hitting 300 plus and 370 + obp .
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

1E38392E38285B0 wrote: Why is is impossible for him to supplant

Maybe its just me, but Bell is hitting.  His average is up from the low .250s to .270 in a short period of time.  Yes, homers are cool and you expect that from corner infielders, but the fact he is putting the ball in play with hits is very encouraging.

yes, he has hit 353 over last 28 days which is 79 plate appearances. (24-68) with 1 triple, 6 doubles.  10 walks and 11 strikeouts.

Don't want to nitpick it, because it's a good stretch of hitting and some good signs, but the XBH rate is still under 1/10 ABs even in that stretch. He needs to keep improving and get that ball elevated.
dmetz

Colin Moran

Post by dmetz »

96 wRC+, .314 wOBA , .128 ISO, -0.1 WAR

There are 9 qualifying 3bman in the national league. the #8 is 110 wRC+ and .337wOBA.

As of today about 2/3rds of the way through the season...we have the worst hitting qualifying 3bman in the NL by a large margin. Defense being left out of it.
notes34

Colin Moran

Post by notes34 »

6C656D7C72080 wrote: 96 wRC+, .314 wOBA , .128 ISO,  -0.1 WAR

There are 9 qualifying 3bman in the national league.    the #8 is 110 wRC+ and .337wOBA. 

As of today about 2/3rds of the way through the season...we have the worst hitting qualifying 3bman in the NL by a large margin.   Defense being left out of it.
Yuck!