5/31 Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

5/31 Game Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

I wonder why Santana and Rodriguez were not available. Santana threw 15 pitches Tuesday and didn't pitch Wednesday. Rodriguez threw 3 pitches Tuesday and didn't pitch Wednesday.
steve49

5/31 Game Thread

Post by steve49 »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: People were against signing him long term?  The cheap Pirates locked up one of the best Closers and Relief Pitchers of 2017.  I don't recall people being against that move when it happened?

I don't know what is wrong with Vasquez.  His last two outings were pretty good after he blew three in a row.  He was throwing 100 mph in those two innings. 

Imagine if Vasquez wasn't used and the game was blown.  You would hear the complaints on why he can't pitch three days in a row.  Hurdle gets beat up for resting players, now a player is over worked.  Hard to have it both ways.

Players blow saves.  Vazquez has had a very bad week.  Overall, if he (or any player) has blown four saves since the start of the season probably wouldn't be so many complaints or concerns.  Blowing four of five is alarming.  Vasquez's ERA has jumped from 2.41 to 4.84 in his last six outings.  Maybe a DL stint is in the works (mental health)?  I am just not sure of that strengthens the bullpen.   

Next time I think think Hurdle is nuts , I will enter it into the forum immediately. Pitching him 4 times in 5 days is excessive . Besides the guy complains of a sore elbow ? Ridiculous.These "old time managers" like Hurdle , Baker and Scioscia often blow pitcher's arms up. Middleton was a great example. Scioscia brought him in for a 3rd game in a row when the team was down 2-3 runs. Threw 21 pitches and woke up the next day with a sore right elbow. He's on the DL now.
MaineBucs

5/31 Game Thread

Post by MaineBucs »

Santana was warming up in the pen after the Cards tied the game and before the HR.

Vasquez is a mess right now. A 10 day stint on the DL may be the best option with him. Not sure anyone at AAA can contribute much, but the team will need to bring in another pitcher.

Last night's loss was really painful. Didn't get to watch the last 3 innings until this morning. Everyone appeared to be feeling great after Cervelli's unexpected blast. Not much to do or say after the 9th.
Ecbucs

5/31 Game Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: Rodriguez was used as a pinch runner and stayed in the game.  I wouldn't have used Freese and wasted two players for one spot.

Santana wasn't available.  Rodriguez was semi-available (??).  Crick was only going one inning.  Hurdle stated that after the game.

Vasquez had two bad defensive plays behind him (and bad defensive placement).  He was only one ground ball or pop fly away from getting out the inning.  He did walk a guy and was behind in the counts.  It was bases loaded, no outs really quickly.  Vasquez is the team's best pitcher, his velocity was up.  I don't blame Hurdle for leaving him in.  Vasquez blew the game.

When would you have pulled him?  Are you bringing in Brault?  Feliz's last two outings were very poor (5 ER in his  last 1.1 IP, 9 ER in his last 3 IP).  No way Feliz gets the call if you are going on the last few outings, right?

Why was Crick only available for one inning? He only threw 13 pitches? He pitched the day before and only threw 12 pitches.

I can understand bringing Vazquez in but he should not have pitched to the fifth batter for certain and maybe not the 4th.
skinnyhorse

5/31 Game Thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

454C44555B210 wrote: People were against signing him long term?  The cheap Pirates locked up one of the best Closers and Relief Pitchers of 2017.  I don't recall people being against that move when it happened?

I don't know what is wrong with Vasquez.  His last two outings were pretty good after he blew three in a row.  He was throwing 100 mph in those two innings. 

Imagine if Vasquez wasn't used and the game was blown.  You would hear the complaints on why he can't pitch three days in a row.  Hurdle gets beat up for resting players, now a player is over worked.  Hard to have it both ways.

Players blow saves.  Vazquez has had a very bad week.  Overall, if he (or any player) has blown four saves since the start of the season probably wouldn't be so many complaints or concerns.  Blowing four of five is alarming.  Vasquez's ERA has jumped from 2.41 to 4.84 in his last six outings.  Maybe a DL stint is in the works (mental health)?  I am just not sure of that strengthens the bullpen.   

You care way, way too much about fan complaints Dog.   "People were against....?""imagine the complaints if ..."   "fans were complaining when...?"  "Nobody was complaining when..."   None of that means anything.  This isn't a PR firm, its a baseball team and you don't work for it (that I'm aware of). 

Vasquez has blown 4 of 14, you're right he's been a mess lately.  Even when he's been successful, there have been baserunners and luck.  His velocity has been all over the place this year, he came out of a game holding his elbow a week ago after getting banged up.    His velocity nosedives after about 15 pitches every outing.   It did last night too.

Do you think it's a fair guess to say that there's something wrong with this dude's arm?  Just going out on a limb here...

Something wrong with this dudes head.  He's not the first and he won't be the last.  These contracts are ridiculous that these bums can get a long term contracts then just go crazy and you have no recourse.  It's going to get where we need to get a psycho eval before offering a contract. Surely someone new he had a screw loose, other than the Nationals management, had NH not ever visited with him.
RichD

5/31 Game Thread

Post by RichD »

Just put the guy on some Bupropion. In 2 weeks he will be feeling like a champ :D.

I have just started on it (3 weeks ) and damn ....I feel like a million bucks . Cant drink tho, beer tastes awful , like metalic .

Been getn up at 5 am and working out . Its crazy. Sleeping like a champ.So much energy. 8-)