Harrison Out for Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Osushawn »

212A222E2B2A317472053C242D2A2A6B262A450 wrote: Dog-please excuse my interruption, but I've seen you mention SRod as a possible 2nd base alternative to Harrison in 2017 more than once recently. As far as I know he'll be a free agent this offseason. Do you know something I don't know about his status?
Just curious.

Sorry. I thought he signed a two year deal last year. You are correct.

I would advocate signing stod to a two yr deal and plug him in at second full time. Move jhay back to super sub.
Bobster21

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Bobster21 »

596563657E776178160 wrote:
I would advocate signing stod to a two yr deal and plug him in at second full time.   Move jhay back to super sub.

Interesting idea but it's also possible that Rodriguez--just like Harrison--performs better as a super sub than a regular. Rodriguez is having a career year and still has only 263 ABs-about half of what a starter would have. He's got a track record with nearly 2,400 PAs and a career line of .233/.302/.390. IMHO, it would be taking a huge chance that he would have another season like this one while playing every day. He never before had a season like this and never played every day.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree with Bobster, to a point.

Rodriguez is having a very good year. Can he do it again? If he is back and is playing this good, he should get more starts over Harrison (or anyone). Play the hot bat.

Also, $30 million isn't going to the bench. That is a big pill to swallow for any team.
thessy

Harrison Out for Season

Post by thessy »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote:
I would advocate signing stod to a two yr deal and plug him in at second full time.   Move jhay back to super sub.

Interesting idea but it's also possible that Rodriguez--just like Harrison--performs better as a super sub than a regular. Rodriguez is having a career year and still has only 263 ABs-about half of what a starter would have. He's got a track record with nearly 2,400 PAs and a career line of .233/.302/.390. IMHO, it would be taking a huge chance that he would have another season like this one while playing every day. He never before had a season like this and never played every day.

I think Bob Walk brought this up during the TV broadcast just very recently.  Sean Rod is having a fantastic year, but before Harrison got hurt, a large portion of Rodriguez's playing time was during favorable situations - pinch hitting with runners already on base, starting against a favorable pitching matchup, etc.  I thought it was a really good point, but the same 'favorable matchup' theory should also apply to seasons past where he filled the same role but didn't perform to near this level.  It really seems like he has figured something out, but is it enough to swap roles with Harrison?  Who knows.

I would like to see Rodriguez back next season but don't see it happening unless they are able to unload Jaso and find another Joyce-type corner OF bench bat they can sign for peanuts.
Ecbucs

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Ecbucs »

I don't think the Pirates can afford to take a chance on bringing back S-rod or Joyce.

Both are going to get big raises and both are candidates to under perform their contracts (especially if they get 2 or 3 year deals).

S-Rod is probably going to get over 5 million a year, maybe even 7 million for a 2 or 3 year deal. The Bucs cannot afford that unless the payroll is going to go up to 120 million a year.

The Bucs need to concentrate on pitching and utility infielders and back up catchers and outfielders shouldn't get major portions of the payroll.

I've seen reports (I think on MLB Trade Rumors) that Joyce could get 5 million a year or a 2 year 11 million dollar contract. Those numbers are ok for teams with big payrolls but the Bucs should not go anywhere close to that.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

I assume Joyce will get a starting gig or at least a shot at one. I am not so sure Rodriguez will. Rodriguez is so good at some many positions.

The Pirates did pay Barmes $4.5 million, but Mercer was a minimum guy then. I see the Pirates extending Mercer or at least he gets a much bigger raise.

Rodriguez might be worth a $5 million deal next year, but he will probably shoot for a two year deal. It might come down to winning. Does he want to play for a winner in a Clubhouse he knows or start for a loser but get paid/security. Freese chose the Pirates.
Osushawn

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Osushawn »

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: I don't think the Pirates can afford to take a chance on bringing back S-rod or Joyce.

Both are going to get big raises and both are candidates to under perform their contracts (especially if they get 2 or 3 year deals).

S-Rod is probably going to get over 5 million a year, maybe even 7 million for a 2 or 3 year deal.  The Bucs cannot afford that unless the payroll is going to go up to 120 million a year.

The Bucs need to concentrate on pitching and utility infielders and back up catchers and outfielders shouldn't get major portions of the payroll.

I've seen reports (I think on MLB Trade Rumors) that Joyce could get 5 million a year or a 2 year 11 million dollar contract.  Those numbers are ok for teams with big payrolls but the Bucs should not go anywhere close to that.

I don't get this line of thinking. We have a guy that has 17 jacks in a part time role and you want to let him roll? Give him the extra money,let him play full time, and see what you get. Not necessarily directed at you EC, but some people complain that the team isn't doing enough to win, and will then complain when they pay for someone that is performing. Give him 5 mil per contract for two years and have him take second from JHay. The extra 4 mil per year given to SRod isn't going to sink this club, but the potential of losing even more offense sure doesn't help.
Ecbucs

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Ecbucs »

6F5355534841574E200 wrote: I don't think the Pirates can afford to take a chance on bringing back S-rod or Joyce.

S-Rod is probably going to get over 5 million a year, maybe even 7 million for a 2 or 3 year deal.  The Bucs cannot afford that unless the payroll is going to go up to 120 million a year.

I've seen reports (I think on MLB Trade Rumors) that Joyce could get 5 million a year or a 2 year 11 million dollar contract.  Those numbers are ok for teams with big payrolls but the Bucs should not go anywhere close to that.

I don't get this line of thinking.  We have a guy that has 17 jacks in a part time role and you want to let him roll?  Give him the extra money,let him play full time, and see what you get.  Not necessarily directed at you EC, but some people complain that the team isn't doing enough to win, and will then complain when they pay for someone that is performing.  Give him 5 mil per contract for two years and have him take second from JHay.  The extra 4 mil per year given to SRod isn't going to sink this club, but the potential of losing even more offense sure doesn't help.

that is fine, I think he is tremendously risky (I also think Freese will never repeat this season offensively during his Bucco contract). S-Rod will be 32 next April. He has never been a regular. He strikes out 1/3 of the time (this season) he only walked 5 times in 2015 and has increased that to 31 so far this season. Maybe he has morphed into a Bill Robinson but I think the odds are strong that he will regress. His ops this year is 871 which has lifted his lifetime to 692 (it was 642 in 2015).

The Bucs traded Liriano because they didn't want to pay him next year and take the chance he could rebound. I don't want to take that money and gamble it on S-Rod. I want them to spend it on someone who has a better track record. I see no reason to think that this isn't his career year.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

If they are truly looking for a player to take over for Harrison at 2B, I don't think Rodriguez is the answer either.

But if they want him for the bench, I am ok with bringing him back.

Quail

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Quail »

SRod is having a remarkable year. I was unhappy when the Pirates announced that they had signed him last offseason. I liked his defense, but he was just terrible offensively. His OBP was .281, SLG was .362 and OPS was .642. He had 17 rbi in 240 plate appearances. He was a rally killer.

This year he's hit like never before. He's hitting for power, driving in runs, and even taking walks regularly. Amazing transformation! But everything about his past performance says this season is an aberration. I still love his defense and versatility, and even if he can perform offensively at an average of his 2015 and 2016 seasons he'd be a great utility guy to have. I would not want to overspend or give too many years to him but for a reasonable salary and term I'd be all for bringing him back.