5/7 Game 2 game thread vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Daniel Vogelbach scoring from first on a double might be the greatest highlite all year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

437D7870637B7B705075627126140 wrote: Keller making sure the Cincinnati faithful don’t leave early.Next time they have to DFA someone I hope they throw his name in the hat too.

He’s a big reason why our players apparently need so much rest.

Where did all this power come from?

I think it has more to do with that ballpark than the Pirates hitters. I can't imagine how many HRs the Reds of the 1970s would've hit in that place.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

After using 7 relievers in the D/H, it should be interesting today after Thompson pitches his 3 innings (if he makes it that far).
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

193F382D24283F29214A0 wrote: Daniel Vogelbach scoring from first on a double might be the greatest highlite all year.
They ran out of Oxygen tanks!
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Yesterday's twin-bill was hard to watch.

The umpiring was disgustingly bad. Electronic pitch calling can't come soon enough.

Poor fielding (Marisneck excluded) in game 1.

Watching Keller not rise to the occasion once again.

Not scoring in the 8th in the first game.

Perez's injury, after watching him shake his head while catching immediately after it happened.

Shelton being a ghost of a manager during a game.

Game 1 was still close in the 8th and Crowe melts down and Shelton adds to the pain by bringing in Suise.

In game 2 when the Bucs are nursing a slim lead, we are treated to watching Kranick (who wasn't that good last year) see his first action of the year. I still don't get why Shelton didn't bring in one of the better relievers.

Not being able to feel good about some good things that happened yesterday; Tsutsugo's first (I don't expect many more), Castillo's 2nd, Suwinski's double, and Gamel having what could be a career week.

Conclusion --- At least they won one.

P.S. While I am not a Vanmeter fan, I admire him being willing to strap on the catching gear for an inning.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

547870777C5B6C7A6A190 wrote: Yesterday's twin-bill was hard to watch.

The umpiring was disgustingly bad.  Electronic pitch calling can't come soon enough.

Perez's injury, after watching him shake his head while catching immediately after it happened.

Game 1 was still close in the 8th and Crowe melts down and Shelton adds to the pain by bringing in Suise.

In game 2 when the Bucs are nursing a slim lead, we are treated to watching Kranick (who wasn't that good last year) see his first action of the year.  I still don't get why Shelton didn't bring in one of the better relievers.

Not being able to feel good about some good things that happened yesterday; Tsutsugo's first (I don't expect many more), Castillo's 2nd, Suwinski's double, and Gamel having what could be a career week.

P.S.   While I am not a Vanmeter fan, I admire him being willing to strap on the catching gear for an inning. 

Shelton should have stormed home plate when the ump refused to call two clear called third strikes and a third could have been to that second batter in the 8th. Seems like the ump couldn't qualify to get behind the plate at the local senior fastpitch league. And the announcers are talking about how catchers need to be still and how they practice it so much and this shows the great the skill of major league catchers and poor Van Meter just doesn't have that skill. Good h*!!, shouldn't a major league ump know what a strike is, even if a 15 year old kid was behind the plate? I was furious and wondering if Shelton had his team's back at that point.

And it didn't help that Knapp got tossed by the home plate ump for barking at the third base ump about a check swing. Shelton should have had an epic meltdown at that point. Totally scorched earth on that pathetic collection of men in black.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

64455059615843504554310 wrote: Yesterday's twin-bill was hard to watch.

The umpiring was disgustingly bad.  Electronic pitch calling can't come soon enough.

In game 2 when the Bucs are nursing a slim lead, we are treated to watching Kranick (who wasn't that good last year) see his first action of the year.  I still don't get why Shelton didn't bring in one of the better relievers.

P.S.   While I am not a Vanmeter fan, I admire him being willing to strap on the catching gear for an inning. 

Shelton should have stormed home plate when the ump refused to call two clear called third strikes and a third could have been to that second batter in the 8th. Seems like the ump couldn't qualify to get behind the plate at the local senior fastpitch league. And the announcers are talking about how catchers need to be still and how they practice it so much and this shows the great the skill of major league catchers and poor Van Meter just doesn't have that skill. Good h*!!, shouldn't a major league ump know what a strike is, even if a 15 year old kid was behind the plate? I was furious and wondering if Shelton had his team's back at that point.

And it didn't help that Knapp got tossed by the home plate ump for barking at the third base ump about a check swing. Shelton should have had an epic meltdown at that point. Totally scorched earth on that pathetic collection of men in black.

Shelton's managing consistently demonstrates an indifference toward winning. Either he's under orders to tank or he's totally incompetent. I guess either is possible.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: Yesterday's twin-bill was hard to watch.

Shelton's managing consistently demonstrates an indifference toward winning. Either he's under orders to tank or he's totally incompetent. I guess either is possible.

I think both are possible.  I’m convinced that tanking is the priority again this year (the roster indicates that), but I think it’s the last year for it.  The young guys who are expected to lead the team to greater heights are going to begin arriving later this year.  Better to get the highest draft pick possible to support that group.

Whether Shelton has instructions to field all of these questionable line-ups, or he really doesn’t know what he’s doing, is certainly up for discussion.  Either way, BC has the right guy to carry out his plan.