Moroff Optioned

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

I just don't think the Pirates think Moroff is a long term answer at SS. Most of his starts at SS in the minors were in his first two years (back in '12 & '13).

Can the same thing be said about Frazier? People want to see his bat on the field too. Moroff is behind Frazier too. Along with Kramer and Newman, there are four players for two positions going forward. Can one of them play 3B? Is Frazier an Outfielder?

More playing time can figure this all out. If Freese has to play a lot, that means something went wrong. If there is a spot for more playing time on the Pirates, I would think Moroff would be the first call up. I just don't see a reason to sit Moroff on the end of the bench when he can get more at bats, more innings at different positions in the minors.
PMike

Moroff Optioned

Post by PMike »

2D262E2227263D787E093028212626672A26490 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

I just don't think the Pirates think Moroff is a long term answer at SS. Most of his starts at SS in the minors were in his first two years (back in '12 & '13).

Can the same thing be said about Frazier? People want to see his bat on the field too. Moroff is behind Frazier too. Along with Kramer and Newman, there are four players for two positions going forward. Can one of them play 3B? Is Frazier an Outfielder?

More playing time can figure this all out. If Freese has to play a lot, that means something went wrong. If there is a spot for more playing time on the Pirates, I would think Moroff would be the first call up. I just don't see a reason to sit Moroff on the end of the bench when he can get more at bats, more innings at different positions in the minors.

The thing that will go wrong is Hurdle. If you leave Freese and SRod on the roster, Hurdle will play them. He can't help himself.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

55486C6E60050 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

The thing that will go wrong is Hurdle.  If you leave Freese and SRod on the roster, Hurdle will play them.  He can't help himself.

The key word was "has" as in if Freese has to play, it will be trouble. That would mean someone got hurt (Moran, Bell) or is playing very poorly. The Hurdle Affect was factored in already.
SCBucco

Moroff Optioned

Post by SCBucco »

5F4266646A0F0 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

The thing that will go wrong is Hurdle.  If you leave Freese and SRod on the roster, Hurdle will play them.  He can't help himself.

and in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? We are talking people upset about Mad Max being shuffled down to the minors. I don't get the angst. He isn't a long term solution to anything. Play Moroff instead of SRod or Freese, we still lose. If Freese is playing a lot, it tells me Moran probably isn't the answer. We know why SRod will be on the roster and play.
PMike

Moroff Optioned

Post by PMike »

0818192E3838345B0 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

and in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?  We are talking people upset about Mad Max being shuffled down to the minors.  I don't get the angst.  He isn't a long term solution to anything.  Play Moroff instead of SRod or Freese, we still lose.  If Freese is playing a lot, it tells me Moran probably isn't the answer.  We know why SRod will be on the roster and play.

The next person I see that's "upset" about Moroff being sent to the minors will be the first. That said, I don't think there is any problem with questioning that move or the roster composition. After all, that is what this forum is all about.

To the point, I like Freese and SRod being on the roster as long as they are fall back options. I wouldn't be surprised to see them starting on opening day somewhere (particularly Freese) and getting 4-5 starts a week. That would be a waste. If they aren't going to win, they need to not win with young players to find out what they have.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

I would be very surprised if Freese and Rodriguez (especially, Freese) start opening day and get 4-5 starts a week.

If Moroff proves he is a player in the minors again, he will be back up. There is also speculation that Mercer and Harrison won't be on the team all year.
dmetz

Moroff Optioned

Post by dmetz »

0E1E1F283E3E325D0 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

and in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?  We are talking people upset about Mad Max being shuffled down to the minors.  I don't get the angst.  He isn't a long term solution to anything.  Play Moroff instead of SRod or Freese, we still lose.  If Freese is playing a lot, it tells me Moran probably isn't the answer.  We know why SRod will be on the roster and play.

How on Earth do we know that?  Because of his name?  Because scouts didn't like him until last year?  He's a middle infielder with decent defense who as a 24 year old...hit 16 homers in his last 300 pro at bats.   After he snapped out of ihis atrocious ML start, the kid kept up his minor league BB and HR rates through the month of September...while playing error free shortstop mostly, and 2nd.

Why does he have no future?  How can you tell? There's something there. We will have to come back later and see if it's something or nothing.

dmetz

Moroff Optioned

Post by dmetz »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: I would be very surprised if Freese and Rodriguez (especially, Freese) start opening day and get 4-5 starts a week. 

If Moroff proves he is a player in the minors again, he will be back up.  There is also speculation that Mercer and Harrison won't be on the team all year. 

You mean between them, or 5 starts a week each? It's about as certain as death and taxes that hurdle will start them somewhere 4 times a week between them.

Like I said, there's 450 at bats between them this year that could be going towards figuring out if someone who can help us become winners again is legit or just another suspect.
INbuc

Moroff Optioned

Post by INbuc »

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: I certainly agree that the Pirates need those plus bats at historically weak hitting positions. Finding those players puts teams over the top.

While I certainly don’t object to Moroff being sent down at this point, I do object to the notion “ he isn’t a long-term solution to anything”.

Upon what do you base that conclusion? I think he shows the attributes to indicate he could potentially be a very viable solution.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

666F677678020 wrote: I would be very surprised if Freese and Rodriguez (especially, Freese) start opening day and get 4-5 starts a week. 

If Moroff proves he is a player in the minors again, he will be back up.  There is also speculation that Mercer and Harrison won't be on the team all year. 

You mean between them, or 5 starts a week each?   It's about as certain as death and taxes that hurdle will start them somewhere 4 times a week between them. 

Like I said, there's 450 at bats between them this year that could be going towards figuring out if someone who can help us become winners again is legit or just another suspect.

Freese might DH the opening series, but I don't see him getting 4-5 starts a week.