Re: Official Game Thread - 9/29 - Pirates vs. Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

306670646B71616A677042656F636B6E2C61020 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 

I can see that but, all through the minor leagues, Contreras has had English-speaking teammates.  I'm guessing he's even pitched to English-speaking catchers before where a form of communication was established.  I feel he'd have been fine with Stallings.

I feel that this is a special situation last night. Also, how many times did he need an interpreter while talking with the English speakers?

I do feel that if he is going to make it in MLB he will absolutely have to learn to work with English speakers behind the plate.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

55747C557E76110 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 

I can see that but, all through the minor leagues, Contreras has had English-speaking teammates.  I'm guessing he's even pitched to English-speaking catchers before where a form of communication was established.  I feel he'd have been fine with Stallings.

I feel that this is a special situation last night.  Also, how many times did he need an interpreter while talking with the English speakers?

I do feel that if he is going to make it in MLB he will absolutely have to learn to work with English speakers behind the plate.

I'm asking because I don't know but, does he speak English? I read some quotes by him in today's Post-Gazette regarding the game last night and it didn't state that he was speaking through an interpreter. Usually that's indicated by the writer of the story.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

396F796D627868636E794B6C666A626725680B0 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 

I feel that this is a special situation last night.  Also, how many times did he need an interpreter while talking with the English speakers?

I'm asking because I don't know but, does he speak English?  I read some quotes by him in today's Post-Gazette regarding the game last night and it didn't state that he was speaking through an interpreter.  Usually that's indicated by the writer of the story.

I am sure that he does speak some basic English, but does he understand all of what he hears. I think BC and the Bucs should find a way to teach these Latin players to speak and understand English as a second language.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

08292108232B4C0 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 

I'm asking because I don't know but, does he speak English?  I read some quotes by him in today's Post-Gazette regarding the game last night and it didn't state that he was speaking through an interpreter.  Usually that's indicated by the writer of the story.

I am sure that he does speak some basic English, but does he understand all of what he hears. [highlight] I think BC and the Bucs should find a way to teach these Latin players to speak and understand English as a second language. [/highlight]

I’ve always thought that would be a good idea. It would help them immensely as they move about this country for seven months each year. And it could lead to opportunities here after they’re done playing, whether that’s in or out of baseball.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I think BC and the Bucs should find a way to teach these Latin players to speak and understand English as a second language.

They do this at the facility in the DR for the kids they sign.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

2A2F282E262C352821323439400 wrote: I think BC and the Bucs should find a way to teach these Latin players to speak and understand English as a second language.

They do this at the facility in the DR for the kids they sign. 

That's nice to know but I think they should continue with it so they can be semi-fluent in English by the time they reach AA. Neither you nor I took a quick course to learn English. They should learn enough English so they can communicate with the catcher and other teammates during the game. In fact, I would go so far as recommending they do the reverse and teach English-speaking players some basic Spanish, especially the catchers.