Moroff Optioned

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Moroff Optioned

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Has Osuna started / played any 3B this spring?

I know he has been taking grounders in practice, but not sure about an actual game. His glove at 1B is very good. His arm is very good. This should have been tried last year. If he is sent down, I hope he plays 3B at Indy.
SCBucco

Moroff Optioned

Post by SCBucco »

6B626A7B750F0 wrote: Dumb decision.   Freese should be released to pursue other options.   Stockpiling AAA middle infielders is stupid

If we screw around enough with Moroff, we will end up still not knowing if he can hit ML pitching 365 days from now.  Newman is close (and not very promising) and Tucker is getting close. This is Moroffs year to go for it.

Stop stockpiling players who need ML at bats in AAA so David Freese or SRod can be rostered.   Or for that matter a 29 year old rookie (Brentz)

1. Sending Moroff down is nothing to get upset about. I'm laughing at those who do.

2. Pittsburgh has always collected middle infielders.

3. Moroff is at best third on the depth chart at second. He isn't taking the gig from Harrison and to me he is behind Frazier.

4. Freese, though I'm indifferent with him, serves more of a purpose. Moran is starting. He is a rookie. Freese is the top backup there. We need one.

So, this is nothing to get upset about, a guy that hit .200 in over 100 at bats last year in the majors. Let him go down; play every day and if he produces, he will be back up. Pretty simple to me.
Bobster21

Moroff Optioned

Post by Bobster21 »

2328202C2928337670073E262F2828692428470 wrote: Has Osuna started / played any 3B this spring?

I know he has been taking grounders in practice, but not sure about an actual game.  His glove at 1B is very good.  His arm is very good.  This should have been tried last year.  If he is sent down, I hope he plays 3B at Indy.
He's been playing 3B in Grapefruit League games.
Bobster21

Moroff Optioned

Post by Bobster21 »

10080A0D0D1A0B0C111006630 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 
That's the thinking but we saw that play out lastyear and he was a miserable failure, you know what they say about, doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

I would rather have  Osuna in that position if Moran fails and I have to say I'm not convinced Moran will be any good at all.

I'd like to see more production this year from 3B. But I wouldn't go as far as to say he was a "miserable failure." The Pirates were in the middle of the pack in the NL for 3B production last sason. Considering Freese was penciled in as a bench player and had to start out of necessity when Kang was unexpectedly lost, I think he did ok.
notes34

Moroff Optioned

Post by notes34 »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 
That's the thinking but we saw that play out lastyear and he was a miserable failure, you know what they say about, doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

I would rather have  Osuna in that position if Moran fails and I have to say I'm not convinced Moran will be any good at all.

I'd like to see more production this year from 3B. But I wouldn't go as far as to say he was a "miserable failure." The Pirates were in the middle of the pack in the NL for 3B production last sason. Considering Freese was penciled in as a bench player and had to start out of necessity when Kang was unexpectedly lost, I think he did ok.
Absolutely, he held his own. He had a nice .OBP, played above average defense and had 2 WAR. I'm not sure you could've expected more than that at this point. Moran is the starter and Freese needs to stick around as the backup. If an opportunity to deal him for anything at all arises sure go ahead and get something. To call Freese a failure for his play in 2017 makes no sense.
SammyKhalifa

Moroff Optioned

Post by SammyKhalifa »

47465D4C5A1A1D290 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 

Absolutely, he held his own. He had a nice .OBP, played above average defense and had 2 WAR. I'm not sure you could've expected more than that at this point. Moran is the starter and Freese needs to stick around as the backup. If an opportunity to deal him for anything at all arises sure go ahead and get something. To call Freese a failure for his play in 2017 makes no sense.

Yeah, I wouldn't. Now I would say he is a bit superfluous to the team at the moment. Even if Moran fails, I think there are other players that could do 3rd. If you're looking at making room in a roster crunch he could be the place.

That doesn't mean I want him gone immediately though, and it doesn't mean I think the management sucks because they didn't cut him right away.
notes34

Moroff Optioned

Post by notes34 »

30020E0E1A280B020F0A0502630 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 

Yeah, I wouldn't.  Now I would say he is a bit superfluous to the team at the moment.  Even if Moran fails, I think there are other players that could do 3rd.   If you're looking at making room in a roster crunch he could be the place.

That doesn't mean I want him gone immediately though, and it doesn't mean I think the management sucks because they didn't cut him right away. 

Yeah I agree. If Freese gets released S-Rod can easily be the backup at 3rd. I don't think its a big deal either way. Would I like to see Moroff get some at bats, yep. I do like the pop in his bat, but either way this isn't really anything to get upset over.
SCBucco

Moroff Optioned

Post by SCBucco »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Freese is also insurance against Moran not performing up to expectations. 

Agree. I too would like to see more production at 3B ... and at C and from two of our OFs too.
dmetz

Moroff Optioned

Post by dmetz »

7767665147474B240 wrote: Dumb decision.   Freese should be released to pursue other options.   Stockpiling AAA middle infielders is stupid

If we screw around enough with Moroff, we will end up still not knowing if he can hit ML pitching 365 days from now.  Newman is close (and not very promising) and Tucker is getting close. This is Moroffs year to go for it.

Stop stockpiling players who need ML at bats in AAA so David Freese or SRod can be rostered.   Or for that matter a 29 year old rookie (Brentz)

1. Sending Moroff down is nothing to get upset about.  I'm laughing at those who do.

2. Pittsburgh has always collected middle infielders.

3. Moroff is at best third on the depth chart at second.  He isn't taking the gig from Harrison and to me he is behind Frazier.

4. Freese, though I'm indifferent with him, serves more of a purpose.  Moran is starting.  He is a rookie.  Freese is the top backup there.  We need one.

So, this is nothing to get upset about, a guy that hit .200 in over 100 at bats last year in the majors.  Let him go down; play every day and if he produces, he will be back up.  Pretty simple to me.

You should sticky this thread then so it can be revisited.  Maybe you're right?  We need more sample.

Something unique and rare is going on with him. First,

His batting average doesn't interest me much.  Hes a high K, high walk, and recently high power kind of hitter.   His average especially doesn't interest me because his first 50abs were sub .100. But his last 15 games he OPSd over .800 with 3 hrs.

What should interest you and anyone else who is interested in developing a good offense is his unique combination of skills and that can and does play short

Second Base and batting average is not what's on my mind with him.   I need to see if he's really able to hold his walk rates and power vs ML pitching.   He looked like a lost kid in his first 50 AB and like a potential allstar in his last 84ab. He also played 108 innings at short in Sept without an error.

What also on my mind is that Kevin Newman is not someone I'm interested in.   His empty bat and good glove will soon be "ready" to cut into time at SS.  To me, that's a path to nowhere. A run-of-the-mill ho-hum pirates shortstop who (like all the others before him) are offensively challenged at best, Raffy Belliards, at worst.   We need to find unconventional value and skills at these traditional no-hit positions.

So while people are correct that moroff isn't going to be getting a ton of bats, I don't care if he's playing 2b, SS 3b or OF in the bigs, it's better for him and for us than facing AAA pitching and playing 2b because Newman is at short.

So someone should sticky this thread.  Maybe he can't hold the walk and HR rates?  I just want to know if he can.  Sending him down so Freese and SRod can get 350abs between them, and we only lose 76 instead of 73 is Dave Littlefield 2
Quail

Moroff Optioned

Post by Quail »

Very compelling argument Dmetz, especially concerning his possibly unique skill set. Sign me up as wanting Moroff to get his chance sooner rather than later.