Pirates vs Nats 4/12

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by Bobster21 »

Last week CH put out a lineup with Martin leading off in his MLB, debut, Newman and Stallings all in the lineup. It looked awful but those guys combined to go 5 for 10 and they won. Yesterday's lineup looked more pitiful. But Shuck had 2 hits, Reyes made a game saying catch and Stallings looked good behind the plate and they won. Still, I hope to never see last night's lineup again but I could understand if it was made out of frustration as CH's "better" lineups had been shut out 2 of the 3 previous games. Turned out to be a good win and a good way to start the series.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by Bobster21 »

Shuck's 1-out triple in the 9th was squandered (aw, shucks! :)) thanks to the Pirates ridiculous "strategy" of running from 3B against a drawn in infield. "Running on contact" only means the runner has to go regardless of whether the ball is fielded instead of hesitating to see if it gets past the fielder. The purpose of the drawn in infield is to get the batter out at home if he runs. Unless it's Billy Hamilton running, the runner is in all probability going to be out. So why automatically send him? The runner can see if the ball gets past the fielder and then could walk home. But running regardless practically guarantees the out if the ball is fielded. We see this every season with the Pirates.
SyrBucco

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by SyrBucco »

745954454253440407360 wrote: Shuck's 1-out triple in the 9th was squandered (aw, shucks! :)) thanks to the Pirates ridiculous "strategy" of running from 3B against a drawn in infield. "Running on contact" only means the runner has to go regardless of whether the ball is fielded instead of hesitating to see if it gets past the fielder. The purpose of the drawn in infield is to get the batter out at home if he runs. Unless it's Billy Hamilton running, the runner is in all probability going to be out. So why automatically send him? The runner can see if the ball gets past the fielder and then could walk home. But running regardless practically guarantees the out if the ball is fielded. We see this every season with the Pirates. 
Just wanted to say "Amen" to Bobster's post!
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Kang needs to get it going he is really struggling now. He is barely hitting over .100 now and is 4 for 37 on the season. Gotta get more out of him with the bat. Just one of many reasons that I am amazed this team is 7-5 with the guys they currently have out of the lineup and Kang being as bad as he has so far these first 12 games.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: Kang needs to get it going he is really struggling now. He is barely hitting over .100 now and is 4 for 37 on the season. Gotta get more out of him with the bat. Just one of many reasons that I am amazed this team is 7-5 with the guys they currently have out of the lineup and Kang being as bad as he has so far these first 12 games.
Yes. Any player can have a slump where the ball just doesn't fall in. But Kang isn't giving himself a chance. He's flailing at pitches way out of the strike zone. The few times he's made good contact (two 2Bs and a HR) show his swing is still intact after the 2 year layoff. But he's struggling mightily with pitch recognition. Looks like that will take a while longer to return and it's not something that can be regained in batting practice, driving grooved pitches. I think he can be valuable to the Bucs but he needs time to see pitches and adjust. Maybe a stint in Indy (phantom injury rehab?) is needed.
Tintin

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by Tintin »

0B3935352113303934313E39580 wrote: I’m at the game.  They aren’t missing on Trevor tonight.  Every out is a rocket.

Good job with the win tintin.

You have to go to every game now.

I’ll be there today. Unfortunately the last Saturday game I went to, Max no hit us.

Had a good time last night. Caught a ball and gave it to a young Nats fan. Nats fans around me bought my buddy and I beers.

I hate that we are having trouble getting guys home from third with less than two outs. Moran’s homerun was on time.
DemDog

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by DemDog »

516C6B716C6B050 wrote: I’m at the game.  They aren’t missing on Trevor tonight.  Every out is a rocket.

Good job with the win tintin.

You have to go to every game now.

I’ll be there today.  Unfortunately the last Saturday game I went to, Max no hit us.

Had a good time last night.  [highlight]Caught a ball and gave it to a young Nats fan[/highlight].  Nats fans around me bought my buddy and I beers.

I hate that we are having trouble getting guys home from third with less than two outs.  Moran’s homerun was on time.

You deserve more than a beer for that great thing you did. That young fan will cherish that ball for a long, long time.
johnfluharty

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by johnfluharty »

Were you in pirates gear? That generous act might make the buccos is second favorite team. ?
Tintin

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by Tintin »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: Were you in pirates gear? That generous act might make the buccos is second favorite team. ?
Was indeed in Bucs gear. We were on the first base side and I was giving this little girl in front of me the business about her “snauzer” shirt. She was shy but threw me dirty looks, as me and her dad started talking.

After every top of the inning, we would point to her and try to get Zimmerman to throw her a ball. He never did, but after the sixth inning Difo had the ball from the last out, he threw it to a guy a section over who bobbled it into the empty row in front of him and it rolled into the aisle where I was waiting. I grabbed it and handed it to her before she knew I had it. She lit up like a Christmas tree and I have been on cloud nine since.

A couple of bud lights came a few minutes later and since they were 9 bucks each, some Nats fan (per the per guy) appreciated by gesture around 20 bucks worth.

After Moran’s home run, we had a lot of Nats folks high five us.... and I got couple of positive remark about giving the ball to an enemy fan, but I just thought she was a cool ten year old gear who would go to the game with her dad when there was an 80% chance of rain.

This was the first time in seven games (and we lost today) that I’ve seen us win in DC and being from NC, I doubt I’ll see them play again this season, but this will likely be my favorite game I’ve attended in a long time.

If you’d like to see my new pal, Sabine and I, my Twitter is @Sample049
rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates vs Nats 4/12

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5C61667C6166080 wrote: Were you in pirates gear? That generous act might make the buccos is second favorite team. ?
Was indeed in Bucs gear.  We were on the first base side and I was giving this little girl in front of me the business about her “snauzer” shirt.  She was shy but threw me dirty looks, as me and her dad started talking.

After every top of the inning, we would point to her and try to get Zimmerman to throw her a ball.  He never did, but after the sixth inning Difo had the ball from the last out, he threw it to a guy a section over who bobbled it into the empty row in front of him and it rolled into the aisle where I was waiting.  I grabbed it and handed it to her before she knew I had it.  She lit up like a Christmas tree and I have been on cloud nine since. 

A couple of bud lights came a few minutes later and since they were 9 bucks each, some Nats fan (per the per guy) appreciated by gesture around 20 bucks worth.

After Moran’s home run, we had a lot of Nats folks high five us.... and I got couple of positive remark about giving the ball to an enemy fan, but I just thought she was a cool ten year old gear who would go to the game with her dad when there was an 80% chance of rain.

This was the first time in seven games (and we lost today)  that I’ve seen us win in DC and being from NC, I doubt I’ll see them play again this season, but this will likely be my favorite game I’ve attended in a long time.

If you’d like to see my new pal, Sabine and I, my Twitter is @Sample049

TinTin, that’s the way baseball is suppose to be played! Great job representing pirate fans!

I was at both games as well. Just got back home. Lots of Pirate fans. Nats fans are mostly very cool. A great place to catch the Pirates on the road.