Re: Official Game Thread - 9/29 - Pirates vs. Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It would be one thing if Greg Brown was funny. But he spends most of the broadcast trying to be funny and only amusing himself.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Two triples for Reynolds! :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Mears being Mears. 3-2 Cubs.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Let's Go Bucs!!!
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

3A6C7A6E617B6B606D7A486F65696164266B080 wrote: Geez.

Why not have him pitch to Stallings instead of Perez.  Time to help a pitcher out in his first major league game. 

After being out for a week, it’s inexcusable that Stallings isn’t starting, especially tonight.  Shelton is remarkably bad at this managing thing.

I'm with ya, Doc. But the inexcusable tactic was allowing Perez to face the lefty with one out and runners on second and third, leaving the reliable Stallings on the bench. Predictably, Perez struck out, and we lost by one. It seems as though Shelton does not care about winning.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

654F447443555559360 wrote: Geez.

Why not have him pitch to Stallings instead of Perez.  Time to help a pitcher out in his first major league game. 

After being out for a week, it’s inexcusable that Stallings isn’t starting, especially tonight.  Shelton is remarkably bad at this managing thing.

I'm with ya, Doc. But the inexcusable tactic was allowing Perez to face the lefty with one out and runners on second and third, leaving the reliable Stallings on the bench. Predictably, Perez struck out, and we lost by one. It seems as though Shelton does not care about winning.

He does not. Right now we are playing draft position baseball and trail the Rangers by one game for third place. Forget the AL WC race, which is dramatic, as Bucco fans our attention should be on if we can lose enough to the Reds this weekend (who seem to own us) to catch the Rangers who have the Indians at home and win that third draft spot. We're only one game back!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case. I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

103139103B33540 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 
That seems reasonable. They had decided before the game that Contreras was only going to pitch a few innings even if he was doing well, which turned out to be the case. So exposure to MLB was the priority more so than winning the game. And since that was the case, why not give him a Spanish speaking catcher even if Stallings gave them a better chance to win. Just another in a long series of examples of winning not being a priority but at this late stage of the season, I'm ok with taking a brief look at Contereas and giving him the catcher he might be more comfortable with language-wise.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

0C262D1D2A3C3C305F0 wrote: Geez.

IMO the inexcusable tactic was bringing in Mears in when he did. I'm all for allowing Mears to pitch, but he's not ready for high-leverage situations.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

72535B725951360 wrote: I think Perez got the starting assignment because he is a Spanish speaker and would be able to communicate with Contreras better than Stallings in this one case.  I think the idea as on Shelty's part was to make Contreras' 1st big league start an enjoyable one for him and any help that Perez could do with the language part would do that. 

I can see that but, all through the minor leagues, Contreras has had English speaking teammates. I'm guessing he's even pitched to English-speaking catchers before where a form of communication was established. I feel he'd have been fine with Stallings.