Gio Gonzalez To Sign With Yanks

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I'm not a millennial, but I am a cord cutter. I just moved back to Pittsburgh after 20 years away,. I would gladly pay twice the rate for mlb.tv, but would be blacked out on streaming. It's as if I'd moved next door to the ballpark, but can't get a ticket:

Me: I'd like a ticket, please.

"Bob": We don't sell tickets here anymore. You have to go to the hotel across the street.

Me: And they'll sell me a ticket?

"Bob": No. They'll sell you a hotel package.

Me: But I don't want a hotel package.

"Bob": Nobody does. That's why they bought all the tickets.
PMike

Post by PMike »

073428292A221429322E3532232F28460 wrote: I'm not a millennial, but I am a cord cutter.  I just moved back to Pittsburgh after 20 years away,. I would gladly pay twice the rate for mlb.tv, but would be blacked out on streaming.  It's as if I'd moved  next door to the ballpark, but can't get a ticket:

"Bob": We don't sell tickets here anymore.  You have to go to the hotel across the street.

"Bob": Nobody does.  That's why they bought all the tickets.

This is exactly my situation.  We still have cable simply for the Pirates (and Penguins) because a. we, fortunately, have enough money to have cable and online streaming services, and b. I'm unwilling to give up on watching the Pirates.  However, that is not the norm for more people.  Most friends look at me like I'm crazy for keeping cable just to watch the Pirates.  People like the Pirates, but they aren't paying $100-200 per month to continue to have cable when you can pay $30 per month for Hulu and Netflix.  Baseball's lack for foresight here is what is keeping them from a huge potential fanbase.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

190420222C490 wrote: I'm not a millennial, but I am a cord cutter.  I just moved back to Pittsburgh after 20 years away,. I would gladly pay twice the rate for mlb.tv, but would be blacked out on streaming.  It's as if I'd moved  next door to the ballpark, but can't get a ticket:

"Bob": We don't sell tickets here anymore.  You have to go to the hotel across the street.

This is exactly my situation.  We still have cable simply for the Pirates (and Penguins) because a. we, fortunately, have enough money to have cable and online streaming services, and b. I'm unwilling to give up on watching the Pirates.  However, that is not the norm for more people.  Most friends look at me like I'm crazy for keeping cable just to watch the Pirates.  People like the Pirates, but they aren't paying $100-200 per month to continue to have cable when you can pay $30 per month for Hulu and Netflix.  Baseball's lack for foresight here is what is keeping them from a huge potential fanbase.

Yeah, I was paying for cable just for the Pirates games and then realized how many games a month I could go to in person for the same price. I never really watch TV otherwise, and they won't even sell the Pirates channel a la carte with a cheaper cable package--it's bundled with one of the bigger ones. I would have paid for regular cable+$20 a month for att or whatever, but instead they get nothing and I'll find *ahem* "alternate methods" to watch the game on-screen when I choose.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

4C517577791C0 wrote:

Stupidly, I'm thinking the best answer for me is to get the streaming service and then just putting on the last few innings of the archived game the next morning.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

242829727B727A77706F75420 wrote: This salary stuff is crazy. The Bucs paid Eric Bedard 4.5 million in 2012 and he wasn’t as good as Gio. Bedard won 7 games for them that season. If, and we will never know, if they passed on Gonzalez for 3 million bucks plus incentives this ownership group should decide whether to remain owners or take on additional investors in order that this fanbase can enjoy an extended playoff run. Actions speak louder than words!

At the time, I thought the Bedard deal was awesome for Pittsburgh. Didn't he start the season strong but fall totally apart by mid season?

Aren't we paying Lyles something in the vicinity of 2 or 2.1 million? another 900K you get a much better pitcher who can at least get a .500 record and is a need for the rotation. Gio is an enigma, but he is a better enigma than Nova and certainly better than anything else we have save Taillon, Williams for starters.

So, 8 million combined gets you Galvis and Gio?
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Gio's contract has massive escalators. I think something like $300K per start. So it's a 7 figure deal if he is a regular in the rotation.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

15082C2E20450 wrote: I'm not a millennial, but I am a cord cutter.  I just moved back to Pittsburgh after 20 years away,. I would gladly pay twice the rate for mlb.tv, but would be blacked out on streaming.  It's as if I'd moved  next door to the ballpark, but can't get a ticket:

Yeah I still have dishnet because of watching the Pirates. I am really considering dropping it and going to HULU. $192.00 a month for tv and internet.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

at 25 starts, he will earn 10.5 30 starts 12 mil. No 2nd year. Very team friendly terms If he stinks, he doesn't get paid.

If Jordan Lyles works out, he will give us Nova production for 6 million less than Nova. If he doesn't work out, he will stink for 6 million less than Nova.

Lets go payroll! I mean.. bucs!

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

44455E4F59191E2A0 wrote: I'm not a millennial, but I am a cord cutter.  I just moved back to Pittsburgh after 20 years away,. I would gladly pay twice the rate for mlb.tv, but would be blacked out on streaming.  It's as if I'd moved  next door to the ballpark, but can't get a ticket:

Yeah I still have dishnet because of watching the Pirates. I am really considering dropping it and going to HULU. $192.00 a month for tv and internet.

we get cable for Hallmark channel. I deserve some sympathy.