An Additional Bench Player Needed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2C20217A737A727F78677D4A0 wrote: At this time there appears to be 12 position players who have locks to come north in April. They are as follows: Cervelli, Diaz, Bell, Harrison, Mercer, Moran, Marte, Polanco, S. Rod, Nava, Freese, Frazier. Players like Moroff, Luplow and Osuna have a chance to fill the one remaining opening, but I would prefer if the Bucs would sign another veteran to take the final spot. A player who could fill that position would be Cameron Maybin. A spring training trade of Harrison could change the complexion of the 13 position players, but as it now stands I would hope that they attempt to bring in another veteran outfielder.

Absent a few notables, all we have on this roster are bench players. We don't need another. We need to add a good player, as in a starter that helps.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

545F575B5E5F440107704951585F5F1E535F300 wrote: As long as the FO is still trying to sell the idea that they are not rebuilding and can compete, they are not going to move Harrison on the heels of the unpopular Cutch and Cole trades. I'm sure they're concerned about season ticket sales. But as the season progresses and they can no longer pretend to be competing, they are likely to deal him with an explanation that the season did not go as planned so they are making moves to benefit them in the near future.

That is a bad strategy in my opinion.  No one goes to see Harrison play.  Season tickets are already down.  Why not get all the negative press at once than open up that book again come late July? 

Harrison also plays a position where they have guys to take over too.  Just do it now, get it over with!

It is a bad strategy and is further evidence that TBMTIB is not working in Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

507677607666150 wrote: As long as the FO is still trying to sell the idea that they are not rebuilding and can compete, they are not going to move Harrison on the heels of the unpopular Cutch and Cole trades. I'm sure they're concerned about season ticket sales. But as the season progresses and they can no longer pretend to be competing, they are likely to deal him with an explanation that the season did not go as planned so they are making moves to benefit them in the near future.

That is a bad strategy in my opinion.  No one goes to see Harrison play.  Season tickets are already down.  Why not get all the negative press at once than open up that book again come late July? 

Harrison also plays a position where they have guys to take over too.  Just do it now, get it over with!

It is a bad strategy and is further evidence that TBMTIB is not working in Pittsburgh.
This is my opinion; not a statement by the FO. But I can't believe they are going to deal Harrison at this point after dealing with the bad PR from the Cole, Cutch deals by saying they will compete rather than rebuild---and then trade Harrison.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Bad deal neal has far too much ego to trade JHay now that he's said he won't.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

When did he say he wasn't going to trade Harrison?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: When did he say he wasn't going to trade Harrison?

"Josh Harrison, in our minds, is going to be a big part of our winning club going forward". After he asked for the trade.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2E272F3E304A0 wrote: When did he say he wasn't going to trade Harrison?

"Josh Harrison, in our minds, is going to be a big part of our winning club going forward". After he asked for the trade.   

Ugh. Thanks, I didn't know that.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

That's typical GM-speak. If they find a good deal they will trade him. With the volume of free agents still available, though, they probably will not find a good deal. I think they are better off waiting till mid-season and see what's up then.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

202522242C263F222B383E334A0 wrote: That's typical GM-speak.  If they find a good deal they will trade him.  With the volume of free agents still available, though, they probably will not find a good deal.  I think they are better off waiting till mid-season and see what's up then.

That's what I wanted to say, but I am not allowed to use that term. Harrison is still in the rumor mill (Yankees, Red Sox) and was brought up as an option for the Mets before they signed T. Frazier.