Harrison Out for Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Harrison Out for Season

Post by MaineBucs »

Sadly, here it is mid-September and the debate is rather to play the 'kids' because we are out of it or to play S-Rod to show that we are still going for it.

I had really hoped for more and I am disappointed that the play-offs are now an after-thought.

For the record --- play either Frazier or Harrison at 2nd and play the other one in LF as the Bucs are trying to groom Hanson as a utility - multi-position player. S-

Rod has played well for the Bucs this year, as have Joyce and Freese, but there is no reason to give any significant playing time at this point in a losing season. ,
Ecbucs

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Ecbucs »

476B63646F487F69790A0 wrote: Sadly, here it is mid-September and the debate is rather to play the 'kids' because we are out of it or to play S-Rod to show that we are still going for it. 

I had really hoped for more and I am disappointed that the play-offs are now an after-thought. 

For the record --- play either Frazier or Harrison at 2nd and play the other one in LF as the Bucs are trying to groom Hanson as a utility - multi-position player.  S-

Rod has played well for the Bucs this year, as have Joyce and Freese, but there is no reason to give any significant playing time at this point in a losing season. , 

yeah, no one who isn't going to be back next year should play any significant amount of time (if any) the rest of this season.
JollyRoger

Harrison Out for Season

Post by JollyRoger »

0A2D3C383D201F2B3C3D3D20590 wrote: I hope they consider trading JHay and dump his ridiculous contract and make Frazier the new 2nd baseman. You're really not losing much by doing this.
I don't know what you are smoking! Ridiculous contract?

He signed a team friendly contract

I know you hate Harrison but be a little bit subjective.

He's been phenomenal defensively. He's hitting in the .280s with a high stolen base percentage. He brings the enthusiasm and 110% effort every game!! Yes. I would like to see him walk more and to cut down on some of the base running blunders. But I will take his aggressiveness on the bases any day over the station to station base running so prevalent on this team. Harrison is the type of player you want on a team. If you want to trade anybody trade some dead weight like Cervelli.
thessy

Harrison Out for Season

Post by thessy »

0B2E2D2D38132E262433410 wrote: I hope they consider trading JHay and dump his ridiculous contract and make Frazier the new 2nd baseman. You're really not losing much by doing this.

He's been phenomenal defensively. He's hitting in the .280s with a high stolen base percentage. He brings the enthusiasm and 110% effort every game!! Yes. I would like to see him walk more and to cut down on some of the base running blunders. But I will take his aggressiveness on the bases any day over the station to station base running so prevalent on this team. Harrison is the type of player you want on a team. If you want to trade anybody trade some dead weight like Cervelli.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but he is being subjective. You need to compare your second basemen with other second basemen, not your catcher. Batting in the .280's only sounds respectable because the rest of the team has been so bad. He's middle of the pack as far as average goes(#6/13 amongst NL 2B). His OBP is the lowest in the NL and Slugging lowest in all of baseball for second basemen - dead last.

He has above average defense and steals a few bases, but sorry man, he's been a stinker this season otherwise. His heart and hustle make him easy to root for, but they don't make up for all the boneheaded moves and terrible offensive production.
SCBucco

Harrison Out for Season

Post by SCBucco »

5A464B5D5D572E0 wrote: I hope they consider trading JHay and dump his ridiculous contract and make Frazier the new 2nd baseman. You're really not losing much by doing this.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but he is being subjective.  You need to compare your second basemen with other second basemen, not your catcher. Batting in the .280's only sounds respectable because the rest of the team has been so bad. He's middle of the pack as far as average goes(#6/13 amongst NL 2B).  His OBP is the lowest in the NL and Slugging lowest in all of baseball for second basemen - dead last.

He has above average defense and steals a few bases, but sorry man, he's been a stinker this season otherwise.  His heart and hustle make him easy to root for, but they don't make up for all the boneheaded moves and terrible offensive production.

Agree with this post 100%. JHay is a guy you root for - for the reasons you mentioned. While his contract could be classified as "team friendly" by many, the Pirates gave him that contract based on the work of one season - his best. The yield since that career year, two years ago, hasn't been good.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

His contract is not team friendly in a few years. Especially, if he stays as the worst offensive second baseman.
Wrathchild

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Wrathchild »

I actually find this thread kind of funny. I'm not a huge Harrison fan. I don't like his offensive game that much and I don't like all of his hustle because I think it contributes to some of his ill-advised baserunning. He shouldn't be batting leadoff. With that said, he's not really hurting the team overall. He has a 1.9 bWAR that is now fourth on the team. Fangraphs likes him a little less, but by any measure he's earned his salary. Whether or not he's the worst offensive second baseman in the NL (that's actually debatable), his defense lifts his value relative to many others at his position.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

I don't know what bWAR is, but, where does he compare to other 2B?

This thread is about Harrison too. Probably why others aren't being mentioned.
Wrathchild

Harrison Out for Season

Post by Wrathchild »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: I don't know what bWAR is, but, where does he compare to other 2B?

This thread is about Harrison too.  Probably why others aren't being mentioned.

The thread is about Harrison; my post was about Harrison.

bWAR is WAR as calculated by the Baseball-Reference formula.

If you look at WAR, which takes into account both offense and defense (I used bWAR), Harrison is middle of the pack in the NL. Certain second basemen that are roughly equal or only marginally better offensively are worse or significantly worse defensively than Harrison.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Harrison Out for Season

WAR and bWAR are the same?

Sorry, I am not really following. I hate the WAR stat in general, never heard of bWAR (why I asked). WAR has way too much emphasis on defense.

Harrison has been pretty good on defense. His range was very good. The best I have ever seen from him before. But his offense was really bad. His offense was one of the worst in the league compared to others who play his position. That is concerning to me. I want a bat over a glove.