Nontender deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Nontender deadline

Post by GreenWeenie »

4B666B7A7D6C7B3B38090 wrote: When it comes to the confidence that the team has in Yoshi as a solution, I think that one year tells us more than the $4 million does. 

So, if they need someone with him, then, if not Moran, who would it be?
We don't know if 1 year was all that was offered or if it was all Yoshi would accept to stay a Pirate. If he has a good year he can get big money elsewhere as a FA.

You're right. We don't know what was offered. But, make those numbers sing a better song, and maybe the guy gets to thinking that a longer deal suddently looks better to him.
Bobster21

Nontender deadline

Post by Bobster21 »

Gamel signed for 1.8 mil.
DemDog

Nontender deadline

Post by DemDog »

674A47565140571714250 wrote: Gamel signed for 1.8 mil.

Can he catch? ;) ;) ;) ;)
Surgnbuck

Nontender deadline

Post by Surgnbuck »

0E2F270E252D4A0 wrote: Gamel signed for 1.8 mil.

Can he catch?   ;) ;) ;) ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhDzvjy0nAg
Surgnbuck

Nontender deadline

Post by Surgnbuck »

I like the Gamel signing. Without a legacy to start the season in right field, I think the competition is going to be a good thing for filling out the remaining outfield slots.

BellevueBuc

Nontender deadline

Post by BellevueBuc »

456865747362753536070 wrote: Tuesday, November 30 is now the deadline to nontender arb eligible players. The Pirates have 8 arb eligible players: Ben Gamel, Bryan Reynolds, Chad Kuhl, Chris Stratton, Colin Moran, Jacob Stallings, Kevin Newman, and Steven Brault.

Jason Mackey in the PPG suggests the Bucs may nontender Newman, Moran, Kuhl and Brault.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2111290082

Rumbunter predicts Brault and Kuhl are the most vulnerable.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/11/24/pittsb ... -deadline/

Obviously two of those players are gone, and really no surprise. They signed two players to replace them that are slightly cheaper, probably not better.

Kuhl is an easy one to see gone, they put him in the bullpen and have a ton of young pitchers that can do what he does, which is pitch ok sometimes.

Newman can go as well. No bat, and no reason to think he will hit. Played good defense one year.
fjk090852-7

Nontender deadline

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Contracts to players must be tendered by 8 o’clock tonight, and I would expect a bunch of roster moves between that time and 11:59 tomorrow night when the CBA expires. I could see the Pirates watching the list for potential relief help, and possibly a backup first baseman and DH. With all the signing the Mets have done they may non tender a bat which could serve as a DH for Pittsburgh.
Ecbucs

Nontender deadline

Post by Ecbucs »

Newman back 1.95 million, Kuhl non-tendered. according to MLB Trade Rumors.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
MaineBucs

Nontender deadline

Post by MaineBucs »

Hmnn.

Well, I was on target with the designation of Moran, but clearly missed the mark on Kuhl, Brault, and Newman. .250 is not a very good percentage.

While 1.95 million is not a zillion dollars, I am not quite sure why the Bucs are bringing Newman back. His complete lack of providing any offense was startling, even though his defense bordered on spectacular. Hopefully he can rediscover some of his 2019 stroke and become a more well rounded player in 2022. Regardless, like many other current Pirates, he likely is little more than a placeholder for 2022.
Ecbucs

Nontender deadline

Post by Ecbucs »

2E020A0D0621160010630 wrote: Hmnn.

Well, I was on target with the designation of Moran, but clearly missed the mark on Kuhl, Brault, and Newman.  .250 is not a very good percentage.

While 1.95 million is not a zillion dollars, I am not quite sure why the Bucs are bringing Newman back.  His complete lack of providing any offense  was startling, even though his defense bordered on spectacular.   Hopefully he can rediscover some of his 2019 stroke and become a more well rounded player in 2022.  Regardless, like many other current Pirates, he likely is little more than a placeholder for 2022.

Maybe Newman and Tucker will switch roles with Newman playing a lot of outfield. (just kidding).

With non-tender of Kuhl do Bucs now have an open space on 40 man roster?