Who is the #6 prospect for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

516C727F707A71537B6C7D7B7A1E0 wrote: Taillon also made significant adjustments to his delivery while he was rehabbing, and came back looking like a completely different pitcher in 2016.  P2 did some really great work documenting the changes he made and explaining the issue with his old delivery.

Taillon took that huge back leg dip out of his delivery and as a result his fastball played much better.

Right on. That's why I referenced the Taillon/Kingham relationship beyond similar life experiences. Kingham has worked out with Taillon and said something to the effect of wanting to model his rehab like Taillon. Hopefully that doesn't only mean regaining muscle, but a new dedication to the craft and mechanics wherever necessary.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

033E202D22282301293E2F29284C0 wrote: I went with Tucker.  I think the conventional pick is Hayes, he has an established floor because he seems almost certain to stick at 3B. Tucker's ceiling as a speedy switch hitting shortstop is very enticing.  But this choice is very volatile, because if he posts another 20% K rate, sub .700 OPS in Bradenton, then his projections tank.

Kingham is also in the mix for this spot, combo of a high floor and proximity to the majors makes him quite valuable.

Guys like Clay Holmes and Garcia aren't in the vicinity yet for me.

I went with Tucker here too. I'm writing off some of the offensive numbers at Bradenton because he was recovering from a tough injury. This will be a big year for him to establish himself as a solid prospect. Looking forward to see what's he's got as his ceiling is really high I believe.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I picked Hearn. Largely based this on fangrphs blurb. He is risky at this stage but has highest ceiling of remaining prospects
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

4F726C616E646F4D6572636564000 wrote: Taillon also made significant adjustments to his delivery while he was rehabbing, and came back looking like a completely different pitcher in 2016.  P2 did some really great work documenting the changes he made and explaining the issue with his old delivery.

Taillon took that huge back leg dip out of his delivery and as a result his fastball played much better.

So let me get this straight....we were taught to bend the back knee when delivering the pitch, now you're suppose to be more straight up?  I can see where this would change the plane slightly, but what other benefit would this create? I don't sub to P2 perhaps they mentioned why in there??
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Taillon had an exaggerated dip that gave the fastball a couple extra mph, but the plane was flat (or elevated, or something I'm not close to an expert, but it made the pitch very hit-able). When I read the article there was some former 2010-2012 era reliever that threw real hard but still got smashed that came to mind.

I would suggest trying youtube or MiLB.com to check out some early Taillon videos compared to his delivery last year. The difference is quite pronounced. I think the new delivery gave him much better command of the fastball and it has a more downward plane.