Melancon to Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Melancon to Nats

Post by CarolinaBucco »

First of all, I'm sad to see Melancon go. He has been SUPERB for a long time. I'm a bit bummed out by it, and it FEELS like the white flag is being waved because he's been so good.

On the other hand, Ken Rosenthal just posted this after talking to an NL hitter:

NL hitter: “2 mos. of Melancon for five yrs of Rivero? What a deal for Pirates. Rivero has all the stuff you need.” Rivera, Hearn both hit 100.
psuinpgh21

Melancon to Nats

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Not exactly a Chapman-esque haul, but two young lefties who can bring it. Rivero will probably take Watson's spot in the pen and Hearn was Washington's #28 prospect pre-season and is averaging about 12 K/9 so far.
rucker59@gmail.com

Melancon to Nats

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5674677A797C7B74576076767A150 wrote: First of all, I'm sad to see Melancon go. He has been SUPERB for a long time. I'm a bit bummed out by it, and it FEELS like the white flag is being waved because he's been so good.

On the other hand, Ken Rosenthal just posted this after talking to an NL hitter:

NL hitter: “2 mos. of Melancon for five yrs of Rivero? What a deal for Pirates. Rivero has all the stuff you need.” Rivera, Hearn both hit 100.

Rivero may turn out well.  Or not.  Another up and down bullpen arm that may be a headcase. But regardless, I can't believe THIS is the return anyone was expecting for Mark.  The Nationals are wanting to win now and gave away two fungible pieces.  The pirates FO on the other hand, hands over their best closer in forever to a team they possibly would have to beat in order to "win now". 

Right now I'm really frustrated.  I'm going to hold off on any further judgement because maybe the Pirates will still be buyers.  But this hardly looks like a move a contending team would make.

Exchange the Jolly Rodger for a White Flag?  Hoist the colors indeed....
Speedloader88

Melancon to Nats

Post by Speedloader88 »

Strong baseball move. This will be unpopular, but Melancon, while spectacular by the numbers, was concerning me. I can't put my finger on it, but I have a gut feeling he is vulnerable. I have a negative opinion of closers as a whole and Mark seemed to prove my feeling wrong most of the time, but I have felt that this was a year that the wheels might come off. We have now gotten a young arm that seems intriguing with 5 years of control and if Mark does come undone then it will be in Washington.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Melancon to Nats

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't like trading with a team they are competing against. I wish Hearn was closer to the majors, but the Pirates drafted him before.

I guess it is good to get something for him. I hope this doesn't mean they are Selling everyone. Watson can close. I hope a Starter is brought in. And might still need another Bullpen Pitcher too.

Time will tell. I liked Melancon. He was very good for the Pirates.
Quail

Melancon to Nats

Post by Quail »

Mixed feelings...

Sorry to see Melancon go but it's a good move for the Pirates going forward. Getting two talented, young, cost-controlled pitchers for a closer who would be moving on in a couple of months is the right thing to do. It kinda sucks though because we're not a better team right now for having done it.
Steve19981

Melancon to Nats

Post by Steve19981 »

I actually withheld Rivero from the mix when I was commenting on what I would like to see back from the Nats in a return for Melancon thinking there was no way they're trade him for two months of the Shark. As it turns out, they did.

Pirates get two power arms for a guy they were going to lose in two months.

That said, this isn't a Chapman return not even close unless the Pirates think they can develop Hearn as a starter and see him a B pitcher. Of course, it is more than I would have expected if they had traded him in the offseason. I also don't think
CarolinaBucco

Melancon to Nats

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Long-term, I think this is clearly a good, smart move by the Pirates. Two potential high-end power lefties for a very good closer you were going to lose in two months.

Short-term, it all hinges on Tony Watson (I'm assuming Watson will move to the 9th). If Watson can step up and be a lock-down closer (admittedly that is a big if), then this is a good trade and Melancon will be a distant memory.

Another note ... NH has earned the benefit of the doubt based on his history of trades involving closers ... Hanrahan, Grilli, Melancon.
Wrathchild

Melancon to Nats

Post by Wrathchild »

Since I was vocal yesterday, I'll provide a comment now that it's done. The trade makes baseball sense in a vacuum but, if there is no corresponding move to get better now, it is psychologically damaging and extremely ballsy in the sense that it has a real chance to seriously blow up in the Pirates' face if Melancon just happens to close out a playoff series against the Pirates. With that said, Rivero is quite good. His ERA is up this year but his FIP continues to be very good. Although Hearn holds some interest, he's not even doing all that great in A ball. Maybe he becomes good but probably not. This trade focuses on a good major leaguer who will likely help the Pirates for a few years. I respect that but you can't make your team less likely to make and succeed in the postseason when you're not out of it. But, there are reports that the Pirates are still looking for a starter. We'll see how it all shakes out.
PirateGold

Melancon to Nats

Post by PirateGold »

5B796A77747176795A6D7B7B77180 wrote:

Another note ... NH has earned the benefit of the doubt based on his history of trades involving closers ... Hanrahan, Grilli, Melancon.

Don't agree with this. Returns have been mixed IMHO - not in the space where I give him the benefit of the doubt with respect to how he handles closers. Here's a brief rundown of the closers in the NH era...

Capps - left via FA following '09 instead of NH dealing him at the deadline off of a 99 loss team. I thought this was a big mistake at the time. Nats signed him and flipped him for Wilson Ramos.

Dotel - got JMac and Lambo from LAD. A decent trade that would look better if JMac hadn't gone south

Hanrahan - great trade

Grilli - Frieri was horrible. In a vacuum, this trade is horrible. It doesn't look so bad because Melancon has been great and Grilli has battled injuries. Regardless, an awful return for a guy pitching effective innings for a contender in 2016. Grilli has an ERA+ over 120 in over 100 IP since being traded.

Melancon - remains to be seen.

I say the haul for Hanrahan has been better than how the Melancon trade works out.