QO to be 16.7MM next year

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Would you extend to Melancon at that? I wouldn't. I think I'd keep my ear to the ground regarding offers if the pitching trade market remains so seller-friendly.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Might have to offer him that.

It will depend on who else you bring in. Individually, he wouldn't be worth $16 million (no relief pitcher is worth that), but if you package him and another guy for like $19 million, might be worth it.

If the Pirates fall out of it, I think Melancon will be a waiver deal. That sucks because you don't get too much in return usually, but better than nothing.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Now I suppose we could try to re-sign him after the year, though it's not likely. I think that if we were to offer him that qualifying offer he takes it and runs, because nobody's going to pay 16.7 plus a first rounder for MM.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

If you do trade Melancon you better make damn sure you get back at least a quality to above average Major League starting pitcher, and at least one AAA player that is pretty close to being Major League ready. If you can guarantee me I would get both of those back I would very much consider dealing Melancon.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5E79686C69744B7F686969740D0 wrote: If you do trade Melancon you better make damn sure you get back at least a quality to above average Major League starting pitcher, and at least one AAA player that is pretty close to being Major League ready. If you can guarantee me I would get both of those back I would very much consider dealing Melancon.

I'd want a solid bullpen guy with multiple years either as part of this or a different deal.  I don't think you'd get a starter but who knows.  I was ready to just let the season ride out with him here, but if the returns for trades continue to be high I'd be willing to adjust.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

685A56564270535A57525D5A3B0 wrote: Now I suppose we could try to re-sign him after the year, though it's not likely.  I think that if we were to offer him that qualifying offer he takes it and runs, because nobody's going to pay 16.7 plus a first rounder for MM.

I'm hoping the pirates extend Mark 2 years. I want the best closer in the business in 17 and 18. Mark is the best in the game.

I have no idea what it would take to extend him, but it won't be $16.5M. I bet he'd take a bit less to remain with the Pirates.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

331405010419261205040419600 wrote: If you do trade Melancon you better make damn sure you get back at least a quality to above average Major League starting pitcher, and at least one AAA player that is pretty close to being Major League ready. If you can guarantee me I would get both of those back I would very much consider dealing Melancon.

There is no chance you would get that return.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Agree.

Closers are still failed Starters. Teams want Starters first.