What Led you to Becoming a Pirates Fan?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I have often wondered what led posters to become followers of our beloved Battling Buccos/

I became a Pirates fan for a couple reasons:

-My Grandpa who raised me worked for US Steel for a short time before moving to SE Ohio

-loved the pirate logo

-kids used to mock me as my first name is part of an old comic strip, Terry and The Pirates
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Genetics. My Gr-Grandfather is buried next to Honus Wagner and my dad still has his ticket stub from the '60 WS.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Born and raised in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. I root for all my hometown teams. Baseball is my favorite sport, so I became a bigger Pirates fan.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Had no choice. Dad listened to Gunner and Possum every game on KDKA and I had to listen too. Got to enjoy it and begged him to take me to a game for my 10th bday. And that he did. I have not missed going to a Bucs game in the 59 yrs (counting 2017) since. Just love my Bucs.
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

The black and gold uniforms,seeing them on tv I was hooked on the spot when I was a little kid
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Was eight years old when they won the 1960 World Series. Went to my first game at Forbes Field with my Dad and Uncle in 1961. Began to really begin to follow them in 1962 by listening to Bob Prince and Jim Woods on KDKA radio. Baseball has been a big tradition in my family for years, and it is my favorite of all major sports.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

6F6371716077617164636C020 wrote: The black and gold uniforms,seeing them on tv I was hooked on the spot when I was a little kid
Same for me. I was 13 years old the summer of '79 and have been on them since. :)
BenM

Post by BenM »

Born into it.

My grandfather worked a shift at J&L (a steel mill for you youngsters) where he would go to sleep listening to the games on radio. As a very young kid, that was also around my bedtime. So whenever we visited, my parents would send me to bed with him.

Right after the Pirates won in '79, my dad put on the Sister Sledge album and the whole family danced to "We are Family". I still have that album and can't wait to play it once they win again.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

First --- How can you not be a Pirates fan?

I grew up in central PA and my father followed the Pirates. I am not sure why he did (never asked), because folks could be fans of the Pirates, Phillies, Orioles or even the Yankees in that area.

Clearly heard about Maz's home run when I was in elementary school and my first game was at Forbes. I also idolized Clemente.

Saying that growing up, it was pretty certain that Clemente would always be a Pirate. Can't imagine what it would be like for me today to be a young tyke and to wake up and find out if the player who I likely would now idolize,

Clearly different times now, but the Bucs are still the Bucs.

Cl
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Grew up near SLC and loved watching Clemente when the Pirates were on the Saturday game of the week. He played with a joy and passion I found infectious as an 8-year old little leaguer in 1963. And my baseball hero was actually a true hero. I could never turn my back on his team. You can find my brick near the Honus Wagner statue and the 1888 marker -- "Roberto Forever the Henderson's of Farmington Utah"