Bullpen Changes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Bullpen Changes

Post by MaineBucs »

I see where Yajure and Howard were optioned to AAA to reach the 26 player roster limit and that Fletcher was sent to AAA and Banda re-activated.

With the roster now down to 'only' 13 pitchers, 8 of whom are identified as relievers, Shelton must begin to let his starters go longer.

It also may be a good idea to identify additional position players on the roster (other than Castillo) who are willing to do mop-up duty and get shellacked in a game that is clearly out of reach.
Bobster21

Bullpen Changes

Post by Bobster21 »

Sam Howard's career has been marked by an inability to throw strikes. So it's no surprise that in a total of 3 innings this season he walked 4. But it seemed odd that his appearance on April 27 was in the 9th inning with Bucs trailing 2-1. A high leverage situation for a pitcher known for walks who allowed another run that inning on a HBP and 3 walks. A week later he's back in AAA. It doesn't say much for Shelton's judgment to use a pitcher in that situation whose status as an MLB pitcher is on such shaky ground that a week later he's back in the minors.
MaineBucs

Bullpen Changes

Post by MaineBucs »

Similar situation with Yajure the other day when Shelton brought him in in the 9th to try and get the last out after Stratton couldn't close it out. Yajure promptly gave up a hit to help put the game further out of reach.

Yajure hopefully as future value to the team. Howard and Fletcher should be potential DFA's if the Bucs need more roster space.
fjk090852-7

Bullpen Changes

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The last few games the Bucs have been using David Bednar for two innings to close out the game. I am an older fan and watched Dave Guisti, and Teke pitch multiple innings, but lately closers have only pitched one inning. I hope they don’t burn Bednar out by using him for multiple innings. I am not sure if the Pirates have started to lose confidence in Chris Stratton, and if so they should add Yerry De Los Santos to the roster, and use him as a set up pitcher. De Los Santos has pitched really well at Indy this season. It is too bad that Cederland is still recovering from TJ surgery, because he could fill the set up role.
Bobster21

Bullpen Changes

Post by Bobster21 »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: The last few games the Bucs have been using David Bednar for two innings to close out the game. I am an older fan and watched Dave Guisti, and Teke pitch multiple innings, but lately closers have only pitched one inning. I hope they don’t burn Bednar out by using him  for multiple innings. I am not sure if the Pirates have started to lose confidence  in  Chris Stratton, and if so they should add Yerry De Los Santos to the roster, and use him as a set up pitcher. De Los Santos has pitched really well at Indy this season. It is too bad that Cederland is still recovering from TJ surgery, because he could fill the set up role.
The only thing I like about Shelton is that he doesn't assign strict roles to the relievers. You noted Giusti and Teke and they had long careers pitching multiple innings. I don't think Bednar will be burned out being used this way. I've always believed it is counterproductive to pigeonhole relievers into very particular roles and then lose games because a reliever couldn't be used in a particulate situation. Bednar and Stratton have both been used for 1 or 2 inning outings and both have entered games in the 7th, 8th or 9th innings. Crowe has a save as well because it was not someone else's role to always get the save. The BP should always be used in the best manner to win that game that day. Sometimes a game will be lost in the 7th or 8th if then reliever reserved for 9th inning saves isn't used to get out of a jam.

I don't like when Shelton arbitrarily pulls an effective starter to have the BP pitch half the game. But I like that when the game is on the line in the later innings, he seems to go with the logical reliever for the situation even if it's not consistent with the closer-era roles.
DemDog

Bullpen Changes

Post by DemDog »

Yajure is on 7-day IL with back problems so he is not available.
fjk090852-7

Bullpen Changes

Post by fjk090852-7 »

56777F567D75120 wrote: Yajure is on 7-day IL with back problems so he is not available.
I might have confused you, not Yajure who the Bucs acquired from the Yankees, but Yerry De Los Santos a Dominican player the Bucs signed a few years ago. I believe he is closing games for Indy. Also they would have to make room on the 40 man roster if they decide to bring him up.
WildwoodDave2

Bullpen Changes

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F3E361F343C5B0 wrote: Yajure is on 7-day IL with back problems so he is not available.
We did not realize that you are a retired chiropractor :D
johnfluharty

Bullpen Changes

Post by johnfluharty »

704E4B43504848436346514215270 wrote: Yajure is on 7-day IL with back problems so he is not available.
We did not realize that you are a retired chiropractor :D

It may be that he is just extremely familiar with back injuries. He's like a zillion years old after all.