TPOP on payroll - self imposed payroll cap!?!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PirateGold

Post by PirateGold »

Thought this was a solid article at TPOP on the Pirates payroll.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/whe ... d-pledges/

I thought it was solid and well thought out. Then at the very end, it got unintentionally very funny for me. Quoting the article:

"So it sure seems like it’s Quintana or bust, in terms of additional players to be added prior to Spring Training, because of the Pirates’ self-imposed payroll limitations. "

It's funny because it wasn't all that long ago that, in reaction to my referencing the Pirates internal payroll cap in a different thread, we were admonished in a brand new thread that we needed proof in order to post about the Pirates 'self imposed' payroll restrictions:

http://web.archive.org/web/201212190958 ... ic=11845.0

Thanks to the wayback machine for the archive.

Per the old OBN thread, someone should tell Kevin that, if he is going to claim that the Pirates have a self imposed payroll max, he has to have articles:

1) with quotes from someone in the Pirates management

2) that verifies that there is a cap

3) sets the cap level

Maybe it took 4 years, but it seems that at least part of the fan base has acknowledged that there is, in fact, a self-imposed payroll limit.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Most people and organizations have a spending limit.  I know for a fact I do and I'm guessing most people here do. In fact, I just went over my "self imposed spending limit" when my car unexpectedly broke down, and I'll be paying the price for a long time.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

You are surprised the pirates have a budget?
PirateGold

Post by PirateGold »

Not surprised the Pirates have a budget - like others, I have been proclaiming that for many years. But, back then, I was shocked at the naivete of some posters who, 4 years ago, were in denial about the budget/self imposed cap.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

This is hilarious and only supports the case there is a segment of the fan base who will bury their head in the sand and believe whatever they want no matter the facts.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0424372A2B450 wrote: This is hilarious and only supports the case there is a segment of the fan base who will bury their head in the sand and believe whatever they want no matter the facts.

Just as there is a segment that wants (needs?) to believe in conspiracies . . .
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

lol, "self imposed payroll limitations" aka "budget"
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Wait, the Liriano money was put back into the team? For three players?

Of course every team has a budget. But if a good deal comes along, that budget can be stretched.

Anyone here could have written that article.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think what's different between the Pirates and other teams is that they seem to employ their "self imposed salary limitations" on a player by player basis. They take into account the marginal effectiveness of the individual signings. The Pirates would never do something like what the Braves did, fill their rotation with mediocre $10M vets that would only provide a slight marginal improvement over their in house options.

That said, I assume they have an internal cut off date to move on from the Quintana talks to then pursue another back end rotation option.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: This is hilarious and only supports the case there is a segment of the fan base who will bury their head in the sand and believe whatever they want no matter the facts.

Just as there is a segment that wants (needs?) to believe in conspiracies . . .

What conspiracy? It seems to be widely accepted the Pirates have a self imposed salary cap. Something commented on by posters in this tread, the author of the article and known by many for years. Yet 4 years ago one particular poster refused to believe and started a thread demanding specific facts to prove it.

That's the hilarious part