Who is the #6 prospect for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Hello Newman, you win #5. Well, just about everyone agrees who the top 5 prospects in the organization are. Looks like someone (thanks Mods) expanded the field to up to 15 entrants. I'd like to stay at 10, though. So I added Taylor Hearn, Clay Holmes, and Yeudy Garcia, all pitchers with upside this time.

The top 5 prospects selected by yinz guys. All levels are from last year, no idea where Keller will be this year (for one)

#1- Austin Meadows, OF, 21, AAA

#2- Tyler Glasnow, SP, 23, AAA

#3- Josh Bell, 1B/OF, 24. MLB

#4- Mitch Keller, SP, 20, A+

#5- Kevin Newman, 23, SS, AA
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

I think this is where the poll will get interesting. A lot of guys that could be 6-12 in my opinion, in any order. I went with Craig. I like the upside of the bat.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I went with Tucker. I think the conventional pick is Hayes, he has an established floor because he seems almost certain to stick at 3B. Tucker's ceiling as a speedy switch hitting shortstop is very enticing. But this choice is very volatile, because if he posts another 20% K rate, sub .700 OPS in Bradenton, then his projections tank.

Kingham is also in the mix for this spot, combo of a high floor and proximity to the majors makes him quite valuable.

Guys like Clay Holmes and Garcia aren't in the vicinity yet for me.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

7C4C405B5B4641624E5C5C2F0 wrote: I think this is where the poll will get interesting. A lot of guys that could be 6-12 in my opinion, in any order. I went with Craig. I like the upside of the bat.

Went with Hayes, for the same reason as you. He's 3 years younger and at the same level. Craig should move up quicker, but you never know.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Voted for Cole Tucker because he has a goofy smile.

PMike

Post by PMike »

I picked Kingham. I have always liked him. Plus, I saw him at State College way back in the day.

I don't know why Kingham keeps getting dumped as a back of the rotation starter. He has some stuff. He throws in the mid to upper 90s and allegedly has solid command, maybe slightly worse than Taillon. He is another one of these tall guys (6'6") who very much throws down hill and makes his fastball seem even faster than it is. He has pretty solid number all through the minors considering he was playing young for most levels. The TJ slowed him down, but he has worked with Taillon to follow a similar path of strength training and mental prep. I think there is good reason to expect/hope for a solid career.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hayes due to his upside.

I had Hayes before Newman.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... P#advanced

I think Kingham's strikeout rate throughout his minor league career would make people question his ability to be more than an inning eater type at the ML level.
PMike

Post by PMike »

09342A272822290B2334252322460 wrote: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... P#advanced

I think Kingham's strikeout rate throughout his minor league career would make people question his ability to be more than an inning eater type at the ML level.

That is certainly true. I guess it is a bit ironic when you compare his minor league stats with Taillon. Kingham has about 140 more innings, but many of their stats are very comparable.

*All minor league stats:

ERA

Kingham: 3.32

Taillon: 3.49

WHIP

K: 1.17

T: 1.16

H/9ip

K: 8

T: 8

BB/9

K: 2.5

T: 2.4

K/9

K: 7.7

T: 8.5

K/BB

K: 3.11

T: 3.53
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Taillon also made significant adjustments to his delivery while he was rehabbing, and came back looking like a completely different pitcher in 2016. P2 did some really great work documenting the changes he made and explaining the issue with his old delivery.

Taillon took that huge back leg dip out of his delivery and as a result his fastball played much better.