MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChillinStation

MLB Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

Max Clark!!!! Is the word on the Street ? That can`t be true, please no. :'(

Cherington building his second wave of the rebuild.
fjk090852-7

MLB Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

745F5E5B5B5E59644356435E5859370 wrote: Max Clark!!!! Is the word on the Street ? That can`t be true, please no. :'(

In my opinion, Clark would be the fourth choice. I am beginning to wonder if Crews has told them he wants some outlandish demands, and then they are reluctant to take Skenes due to the possibility of future injury. If Crews is out I would risk taking Skenes, and if not Langford, and only then I would consider Clark. Everyone was glad when the Pirates got the number one pick back in December, and now we are three days away from the draft, and the Pirates may be taking a player who may not join the Majors until 2026, 2027 or later.
JollyRoger

MLB Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

We all give credit to BC for what was accomplished in the 2021 draft. Drafting Davis #1 saving $2M and spreading it around to get additional higher quality players. The equivalent of possibly 3-4 first round talent.

However taking Davis who was ranked #4 if I recall, was not such a stretch as the Pirates had no high ceiling catchers in their system.

Solometo so far had been the gem that reinforces that draft strategy. Then again what about the others that were given above slot money to sign. Chandler may be a bust, the others are struggling at present.

If BC drafts one of the HS players, it is possible that O’Neil Cruz will be gone before the HS player makes it to the majors and we just keep pushing the timeframe for contending into the future.

IMO you have 2 generational talents both from LSU. You will never be able to get players like this for what you will be giving them as a draft bonus. For once, money CANNOT be a consideration.

I initially was all in on Crews. However I am very intrigued by the possibility of Skenes becoming a 2 way player. I think the risk is worth the reward. Could you imagine if Skenes  comes the next Ohtani???
PMike

MLB Draft

Post by PMike »

7358595C5C595E63445144595F5E300 wrote: Max Clark!!!! Is the word on the Street ? That can`t be true, please no. :'(

I've heard this bouncing around the interwebs... I hear it as a negotiating move from the Pirates. They are really close to a window of competitiveness. It would be really dumb to grab one of the prep guys given their circumstances. They need one of the three college guys to fit into that window. I think they are playing those three (probably the one they want) to get the cost down.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

04212222371C21292B3C4E0 wrote: We all give credit to BC for what was accomplished in the 2021 draft. Drafting Davis #1 saving $2M and spreading it around to get additional higher quality players. The equivalent of possibly 3-4 first round talent.

However taking Davis who was ranked #4 if I recall, was not such a stretch as the Pirates had no high ceiling catchers in their system.

Solometo so far had been the gem that reinforces that draft strategy. Then again what about the others that were given above slot money to sign. Chandler may be a bust, the others are struggling at present.

If BC drafts one of the HS players, it is possible that O’Neil Cruz will be gone before the HS player makes it to the majors and we just keep pushing the timeframe for contending into the future.

IMO you have 2 generational talents both from LSU. You will never be able to get players like this for what you will be giving them as a draft bonus. For once, money CANNOT be a consideration.

I initially was all in on Crews. However I am very intrigued by the possibility of Skenes becoming a 2 way player. I think the risk is worth the reward. Could you imagine if Skenes  comes the next Ohtani???

I’m too unfamiliar with Skenes’ offensive abilities to know whether or not he could be a two-way player at the major league level but I’m pretty sure even if he could be, the Pirates would never find out.  This organization is so restrained, so unwilling to take risks, that the management wouldn’t even consider it.

But the reason they should is because he’d only be here for four to six years anyway. And for that reason, the organization should extract every ounce of talent and energy out of him and all of their draft choices over the few years they’ll have them. Not abuse them, but use them up and then send them on their way through trades.
ChillinStation

MLB Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

I will be fine with Skenes but he starts in AAA next season and not have to work his way up from A+.
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

5D406466680D0 wrote: Max Clark!!!! Is the word on the Street ? That can`t be true, please no. :'(

I've heard this bouncing around the interwebs...  I hear it as a negotiating move from the Pirates.  They are really close to a window of competitiveness.  It would be really dumb to grab one of the prep guys given their circumstances.  They need one of the three college guys to fit into that window.  I think they are playing those three (probably the one they want) to get the cost down.

I agree, I think they are trying to get their first choice to agree to an amount before the draft. I don't know the exact slotting numbers but there probably is at least a 500K difference between slots for first and third pick.
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

6F392F3B342E3E35382F1D3A303C3431733E5D0 wrote: We all give credit to BC for what was accomplished in the 2021 draft. Drafting Davis #1 saving $2M and spreading it around to get additional higher quality players. The equivalent of possibly 3-4 first round talent.

I’m too unfamiliar with Skenes’ offensive abilities to know whether or not he could be a two-way player at the major league level but I’m pretty sure even if he could be, the Pirates would never find out.  This organization is so restrained, so unwilling to take risks, that the management wouldn’t even consider it.

But the reason they should is because he’d only be here for four to six years anyway.  And for that reason, the organization should extract every ounce of talent and energy out of him and all of their draft choices over the few years they’ll have them.   Not abuse them, but use them up and then send them on their way through trades.

Skenes didn't even bat once for LSU this year so I think he has no chance to be a two way big league player.
INbuc

MLB Draft

Post by INbuc »

With the draft just two days away, I thought it interesting to revisit the Bucs' prior first round picks since 2006 -- along with later options each year.

06 Brad Lincoln – 4 Clayton Kershaw – 7 Max Scherzer – 11

07 Daniel Moskos – 4 Madison Baumgarner – 10

08 Pedro Alvarez -2 Buster Posey – 5

09 Tony Sanchez – 4 Mike Trout – 25

10 Jamison Taillon - 2 Manny Machado – 3 Chris Sale – 13

11 Gerrit Cole - 1 Francisco Lindor – 8

12 Mark Appel - 8 Corey Seager – 18

13 Austin Meadows – 9 Aaron Judge – 32

14 Cole Tucker - 24 Matt Chapman – 25

15 Kevin Newman - 19 Austin Riley – 41 Walker Buehler – 24

16 Will Craig – 22 Will Smith -32

17 Shane Baz – 12 Drew Rasmussen – 31

18 Travis Swaggerty – 10 Shane McClanahan – 31

19 Quinn Priester -18

20 Nick Gonzales - 7

21 Henry Davis - 1

22 Termarr Johnson - 4

The thing that jumped out to me were the criminally bad selections in 2006, 2007, and 2009. If in just one of those years, had the Bucs selected one of the other options listed here, there is a darn good chance they might have won a World Series in 2013-2015.

The Bucs can't afford to blow this pick. The top three college players have competed in the top NCAA baseball conference and they all succeeded at the College World Series. Any "deal" with one of the HS players would be a complete red flag. I hope they pay the money to get whomever they feel is the best of the three college players.
JollyRoger

MLB Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

0304283F294A0 wrote: With the draft just two days away, I thought it interesting to revisit the Bucs' prior first round picks since 2006 -- along with later options each year.

06  Brad Lincoln – 4     Clayton Kershaw – 7     Max Scherzer – 11

07  Daniel Moskos – 4  Madison Baumgarner – 10

08  Pedro Alvarez -2     Buster Posey – 5

09  Tony Sanchez – 4   Mike Trout – 25

10  Jamison Taillon - 2  Manny Machado – 3     Chris Sale – 13

11  Gerrit Cole  - 1       Francisco Lindor – 8

12  Mark Appel - 8        Corey Seager – 18

13  Austin Meadows – 9   Aaron Judge – 32 

14  Cole Tucker - 24      Matt Chapman – 25

15  Kevin Newman - 19  Austin Riley – 41    Walker Buehler – 24

16  Will Craig – 22         Will Smith -32

17  Shane Baz – 12       Drew Rasmussen – 31

18  Travis Swaggerty – 10  Shane McClanahan – 31

19  Quinn Priester -18

20  Nick Gonzales - 7

21  Henry Davis - 1

22  Termarr Johnson - 4

The thing that jumped out to me were the criminally bad selections in 2006, 2007, and 2009.  If in just one of those years, had the Bucs selected one of the other options listed here, there is a darn good chance they might have won a World Series in 2013-2015. 

The Bucs can't afford to blow this pick.  The top three college players have competed in the top NCAA baseball conference and they all succeeded at the College World Series.   Any "deal" with one of the HS players would be a complete red flag.  I hope they pay the money to get whomever they feel is the best of the three college players.

Thanks for putting this summary together

Looking at the results, the Dodgers made far better picks 4 times while drafting lower than the Pirates.

Pirates should skip the analytics and just pay the Dodgers to draft for them