Game Thread - July 13 - Bucs @ Marlins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5F61646C7F67676C4C697E6D3A080 wrote: These are Bednar's stats over his last 11 games:

IP: 11

H:  15

R:  11

ER: 11

BB:  6

HBP: 1

HR:  2

K:   14

ERA: 9.00

W-L: 1-2

Saves: 5

Blown Saves: 3

BA against: .313

This wasn't just 1 bad game messing up his stats over that period. He was scored upon in nearly half (5 of 11) of those games. Despite the hype he gets, Bednar right now is more of a liability than the second coming of Mariano Rivera. 

The Marlins made contact with every one of Bednar's fastball's last night.  He threw 3 curves, all of which were taken for balls.  His curve appears easy to spot at this point and is not competitive...thus hitters sit on a fastball that often comes in pretty flat.  Bednar could probably use some rest, and a few bullpen sessions to tighten things up.   

We all know Bednar has been struggling of late but I didn't realize he's been that bad.  Those are pretty sorry numbers.  He's been wild, mostly up out of the zone, and it seems to me his velocity is down a bit, which oftentimes is enough for hitters to take advantage.

And if hitters are laying off his curve, as INbuc pointed out, perhaps he's tipping that pitch.
Maybe Paul Ziese was right!! trade him
Obviously I have done a 180 since yesterday- see the influence

Bobster has on people. Guess that's why he is a moderator :D ;D
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Bednar needs another break. He has not been right since the 8 out save.

Shelton couldn't help himself yesterday after the Bucs score 2 in the top of the 10th and decides to use Bednar 2 nights in a row after he had appeared in 5 of the last 8 games.

Bucs need to follow yesterday's decision by the Jayd to cut ties with Montaya. As I posted the other day, relieve Shelton and the third base coach of their duties after the All-star game. Promote Kelly as the interim manager and bring in Wehner as the third base coach. Rabelo and Cora have been horrid in their decision-making.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Greg Brown just mentioned that last night Bednar had "a rare blown save." I think 3 in the last 11 opportunities is not "rare."
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0C20282F2403342232410 wrote: Bednar needs another break.   He has not been right since the 8 out save.

Shelton couldn't help himself yesterday after the Bucs score 2 in the top of the 10th and decides to use Bednar 2 nights in a row after he had appeared in 5 of the last 8 games.

Bucs need to follow yesterday's decision by the Jayd to cut ties with Montaya.  As I posted the other day, relieve Shelton and the third base coach of their duties after the All-star game.  Promote Kelly as the interim manager and bring in Wehner as the third base coach.  Rabelo and Cora have been horrid in their decision-making.
would be a good idea but you know it won't happen