Hill Pitching a Pefect Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

6461666068627B666F7C7A770E0 wrote: Rogers should have sent Hill out for the bottom of the 10th only if the Dodgers had scored a run in the top of the 10th.  It was a bad decision IMO on the part of Roberts to send him out.  But I'll take it!  :)
I agree with you. I supposed since he was under 100 pitches they thought he would be fine.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think Roberts was reacting to the last time Hill had a no hitter going and Roberts removed him in the seventh or so (blister on finger) and was regretting not giving him the chance to get the win in that game. It's a classic case of 'you just can't win,' no matter what you do.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I loved watching last night's game. Hill was dominant. He was so dominant that I wanted him to pitch the perfect game, even if it meant that the Pirates lost yet another game.

I also think that the Manager made the right call to send Hill out for the 10th. He was still pitching well in the latter innings and his curve left most Pirate hitters standing in the box wondering what just happened. The only reason I would not have sent him back out would have been if Hill had asked out of the game because of fatigue or injury concerns.

Trevor Williams, aided by some really nice defense, pitched a hell of a game. His control was off the first few innings but he then settled into a good routine. When some on this Board talk about Williams they often lump him in with the likes of Hutchinson, Kuhl, Brault and others as potential options for the 5th spot in the rotation. While Williams likely is not a top of rotation starter, his pitching has improved through-out the year and it appears that he can be a very valuable starter for the Pirates next year and beyond.

Lastly, J-Hay. He looked more lost than anyone else when Hill would through a high fastball mixed in with his devastating curve. Good for him to get just enough of one in the 10th to make everyone feel good for at least a day.

Great game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I can't believe anyone would say Hill shouldn't have gone out for the 10th. The guy is 37 (38 next march), had a chance for MLB immortality with a no-hitter, was still going strong thru 9 and was still under 100 pitches. You can't pull a guy at a time like that, pitching the game of his life, because of a pitch count, especially when he was starting the 10th at only 95 pitches.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

There was no way he was going to pitch 2 more innings, so after the Dodgers didn't score in the top of the 10th, he should not have gone out there.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Harvey Haddix Lite. Harvey pitched 12 perfect innings against the Braves on May 26, 1959 before losing the perfect game and the game in the 13th inning. Error, sacrifice bunt, walk and an apparent 3 run homer by Joe Adcock. Final score was 1-0 as Adcock passed Aaron on the bases.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D484F49414B524F4655535E270 wrote: There was no way he was going to pitch 2 more innings, so after the Dodgers didn't score in the top of the 10th, he should not have gone out there.
That's probably true. But looking at it from LA's perspective, he's unhittable so why not let him go 1 more? I suspect he was coming out if he gave up a hit anyway. And if he had an extremely quick inning, say less than 10 pitches, he might just have gone out for an 11th at under 105 pitches if LA had scored in the 11th. Sending him out for the 10th at least keeps open the possibility however slight.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

122F222532342F727178400 wrote: Harvey Haddix Lite. Harvey pitched 12 perfect innings against the Braves on May 26, 1959 before losing the perfect game and the game in the 13th inning. Error, sacrifice bunt,  walk and an apparent 3 run homer by Joe Adcock. Final  score was 1-0 as Adcock passed Aaron on the bases.
Aaron didn't see the ball go over the wall and thought the ball was in play with the runner ahead of him scoring the winning run. So he trotted off the field while Adcock circled the bases. That constituted passing the runner and the HR was changed to a double.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Cliff Lee was the last starter to go into the 10 inning. Antonio Bastardo got the loss for Lee giving up one run.

Hill should have gone until he gave up a hit or if he asked to come out. I'm surprised people think he shouldn't have started the 10th. His pitch count was under 100 and has a great offense to get him a run at any moment.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: I think Cliff Lee was the last starter to go into the 10 inning. Antonio Bastardo got the loss for Lee giving up one run.

Hill should have gone until he gave up a hit or if he asked to come out. I'm surprised people think he shouldn't have started the 10th. His pitch count was under 100 and has a great offense to get him a run at any moment.

I agree, had no problem with him going out for tenth inning. He was cruising and in complete control.

Did JHay say anything about looking for a particular pitch or a pitch in a particular spot? His power surge has been impressive this year.