HBP: 1

HR: 2

K: 14

ERA: 9.00

W-L: 1-2

Saves: 5

Blown Saves: 3

BA against: .313

This wasn't just 1 bad game messing up his stats over that period. He was scored upon in nearly half (5 of 11) of those games. Despite the hype he gets, Bednar right now is more of a liability than the second coming of Mariano Rivera.
Bobster21

Game Thread - July 13 - Bucs @ Marlins

Post by Bobster21 »

You could look at the starting lineup and see they had very little chance to win the game. I don't think Shelton wanted to lose. But I believe he can't tell the difference between a good or a bad lineup or between productive and unproductive players. If you watch the games under the assumption that Shelton lives in a mindless fog, his decisions actually make sense.
mouse

Post by mouse »

A lot of playing time decisions now are trade-deadline based. They don't care if they win, they're just hoping to get *something* for the debris on the roster.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F6D777167020 wrote: A lot of playing time decisions now are trade-deadline based. They don't care if they win, they're just hoping to get *something* for the debris on the roster.
They could DFA VanMeter and Tsutsugo and they probably wouldn't get picked up. I don't think a team will offer anything for them except someone the other team is trying to get rid of.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: These are Bednar's stats over his last 11 games:

IP: 11

H:  15

R:  11

ER: 11

BB:  6

HR:  2

K:   14

This wasn't just 1 bad game messing up his stats over that period. He was scored upon in nearly half (5 of 11) of those games. Despite the hype he gets, Bednar right now is more of a liability than the second coming of Mariano Rivera. 

The Marlins made contact with every one of Bednar's fastball's last night. He threw 3 curves, all of which were taken for balls. His curve appears easy to spot at this point and is not competitive...thus hitters sit on a fastball that often comes in pretty flat. Bednar could probably use some rest, and a few bullpen sessions to tighten things up.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Marisnick was about 15 feet from the plate when the catcher caught the ball and turned and waited for him in the 10th. Rabelo has a tendency to send runners with no chance of scoring. Wehner said "You'll take it. You'll take a 2 run lead with David Bednar coming in." But a 2 run lead in extra innings is basically a 1 run lead since the ghost runner practically guarantees 1 run. Chavis was on deck when Rabelo senselessly ended the inning. Why not let another batter try to add another run instead of sending a runner with no chance to score and ending the inning that way?

I know it's easy to say managers and coaches don't make that much difference. They certainly can't make a bad team into a good one. But looking at Shelton's lineup in this game and Rabelo's decision to send Marisnick with 2 outs and no chance to score, you can see how poor managing and poor coaching can make a difference.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0D0A263127440 wrote: These are Bednar's stats over his last 11 games:

The Marlins made contact with every one of Bednar's fastball's last night.  He threw 3 curves, all of which were taken for balls.  His curve appears easy to spot at this point and is not competitive...thus hitters sit on a fastball that often comes in pretty flat.  Bednar could probably use some rest, and a few bullpen sessions to tighten things up.   

We all know Bednar has been struggling of late but I didn't realize he's been that bad.  Those are pretty sorry numbers.  He's been wild, mostly up out of the zone, and it seems to me his velocity is down a bit, which oftentimes is enough for hitters to take advantage.

And if hitters are laying off his curve, as INbuc pointed out, perhaps he's tipping that pitch.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0E584E5A554F5F54594E7C5B515D5550125F3C0 wrote: I'd rather lose a game 19-2 than the way the Pirates lost last night.
Exactly- even 21-1 :D
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

184E584C435949424F586A4D474B434604492A0 wrote: These are Bednar's stats over his last 11 games:

The Marlins made contact with every one of Bednar's fastball's last night.  He threw 3 curves, all of which were taken for balls.  His curve appears easy to spot at this point and is not competitive...thus hitters sit on a fastball that often comes in pretty flat.  Bednar could probably use some rest, and a few bullpen sessions to tighten things up.   

We all know Bednar has been struggling of late but I didn't realize he's been that bad.  Those are pretty sorry numbers.  He's been wild, mostly up out of the zone, and it seems to me his velocity is down a bit, which oftentimes is enough for hitters to take advantage.

And if hitters are laying off his curve, as INbuc pointed out, perhaps he's tipping that pitch.
Maybe Paul Ziese was right!! trade him
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3F697F6B647E6E65687F4D6A606C6461236E0D0 wrote: These are Bednar's stats over his last 11 games:

don't these numbers conincide with when he had an injury (back?)?