4/11 game thread vs Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

504D696B65000 wrote: I, too, think Glasnow was really let down by his teammates.  He gave up a couple of hard hits, but they were really deep into the inning (>25 pitches).  I was also very frustrated with the pitch calling for Glasnow.  He doesn't shake calls off (which is good).  I think he is told to trust the call.  However, he threw all fastballs to Baez until the strikeout curve ball.  Then he didn't throw another curveball until Bryant came up.  The pitch selection was way too FB heavy early and got him predictable.  Then, they would only mix in the curve in predictable moments.  It's like they were afraid it would be so good Cervelli couldn't catch it.  They didn't call for a change up at all.  I was very frustrated with their pitch calling for Glasnow.  I don't know who calls the game, Cervelli or the bench, but they set him up to fail.

That's a good observation.  His fast ball was moving up and in on lefties too.  That is some strange movement and why he can be special. 

I always watch the Catcher's mitt and see how much it moves.  That is an indicator to me if a pitcher is hitting his spots or at least what was called.

Was Glasnow's glove shake new too?
PMike

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by PMike »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: I, too, think Glasnow was really let down by his teammates.  He gave up a couple of hard hits, but they were really deep into the inning (>25 pitches).  I was also very frustrated with the pitch calling for Glasnow.  He doesn't shake calls off (which is good).  I think he is told to trust the call.  However, he threw all fastballs to Baez until the strikeout curve ball.  Then he didn't throw another curveball until Bryant came up.  The pitch selection was way too FB heavy early and got him predictable.  Then, they would only mix in the curve in predictable moments.  It's like they were afraid it would be so good Cervelli couldn't catch it.  They didn't call for a change up at all.  I was very frustrated with their pitch calling for Glasnow.  I don't know who calls the game, Cervelli or the bench, but they set him up to fail.

That's a good observation.  His fast ball was moving up and in on lefties too.  That is some strange movement and why he can be special. 

I always watch the Catcher's mitt and see how much it moves.  That is an indicator to me if a pitcher is hitting his spots or at least what was called.

Was Glasnow's glove shake new too?

He's been doing the glove shake since spring training. Last night was interesting on Cervelli's glove placement. He really just kept it low middle and let Glasnow throw all around. Of course, Baez was on base from the beginning. Maybe Cervelli didn't want to give anything away. I didn't really think Glasnow threw a bad pitch until the 2-2 fastball to Bryant. That thing was down the middle. In that at bat, Glasnow had thrown a first pitch curve (predictable) for a ball and then threw two fastballs to get it to 1-2. Everyone knew a curve was coming and Bryant did a great job laying of a really good pitch. The 2-2 pitch, IMO, should have been another curve because it would have been more unexpected. Instead it was a fastball and Glasnow left it down the middle.
Bobster21

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

All of the Pirates' relievers have horrible ERAs. At this early stage, that can be the result of 1 bad outing. But Neverauskas and Smoker rarely have a good one. Neverauskas has been scored upon in 4 of 6 outings. And that's when he's only in a game for 1 inning or less. His ERA of 11.57 and WHIP of 2.143 are very reflective of his performance thus far. Smoker hadn't yielded an ER until last night but he was letting inherited runners score. He's allowed base runners in 4 of his 5 games with totals of 9 hits and 2 walks in 4 innings and an ERA of 9.00, WHIP of 2.750. Neither belongs in MLB and they are dragging the team down.
dmetz

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dmetz »

Glasnow is always too heavy on his  fastball.  He's trying to get ahead so that hitters can't just take his curve when he 1-hops it.  I was told that he went back to throwing his fastball with a natural cut.   Whatever has happened, his control has greatly improved both inside and outside the zone.  Whether or not it's moving, I don't know.  Looks flat as a board to me. He's still getting squared up way too much.

The entire staff is too heavy on their fastball and our organizational philosophy is too fastball heavy imo lol.   

Miss bats, don't hit bats.   Nobody other than Taillon goes deep into outings anyway, what difference does this pitch to contact stuff make anyway?

PMike

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by PMike »

193439282F3E29696A5B0 wrote: All of the Pirates' relievers have horrible ERAs. At this early stage, that can be the result of 1 bad outing. But Neverauskas and Smoker rarely have a good one. Neverauskas has been scored upon in 4 of 6 outings. And that's when he's only in a game for 1 inning or less. His ERA of 11.57 and WHIP of 2.143 are very reflective of his performance thus far. Smoker hadn't yielded an ER until last night but he was letting inherited runners score. He's allowed base runners in 4 of his 5 games with totals of 9 hits and 2 walks in 4 innings and an ERA of 9.00, WHIP of 2.750. Neither belongs in MLB and they are dragging the team down.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you think of Neverauskas performance from last year? He was pretty solid.
INbuc

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by INbuc »

130E2A2826430 wrote: All of the Pirates' relievers have horrible ERAs. At this early stage, that can be the result of 1 bad outing. But Neverauskas and Smoker rarely have a good one. Neverauskas has been scored upon in 4 of 6 outings. And that's when he's only in a game for 1 inning or less. His ERA of 11.57 and WHIP of 2.143 are very reflective of his performance thus far. Smoker hadn't yielded an ER until last night but he was letting inherited runners score. He's allowed base runners in 4 of his 5 games with totals of 9 hits and 2 walks in 4 innings and an ERA of 9.00, WHIP of 2.750. Neither belongs in MLB and they are dragging the team down.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what do you think of Neverauskas performance from last year?  He was pretty solid.

Neverauskas was better last year. And maybe part of his struggles this year are the weather -- who knows. But this team has been blessed with the great start every team strives for. Don't give away early season games waiting for certain players to play through their struggles---and nowhere is this more important to a baseball team than the bullpen. It is demoralizing to build a lead to see it be given away. Send down Never, and whoever else can't be relied on at this point. Win as many games now as we can as preserve as much of our lead in the standings as we can.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

3B323A2B255F0 wrote:

The entire staff is too heavy on their fastball and our organizational philosophy is too fastball heavy imo lol.   

Miss bats, don't hit bats.   Nobody other than Taillon goes deep into outings anyway, what difference does this pitch to contact stuff make anyway?

I could be wrong, but I always thought the phrase "pitch to contact" was for ground balls and weak contact.  Of course, you want guys to strike out.  That is why Huntington goes after the big framed, hard throwing pitchers.  They are usually the strike out guys.

I wonder if hitters are changing in general.  A hanging curve ball has always been the pitch to crush and hitters waited for it.  It came in slower, hung over the middle of the plate.  Now, it seems the junk pitcher is gone and hitters are hitting more fastballs than ever.

I am a big fan of the sinker (low and away) and the split finger fastball.  It is very hard to drive those pitches.  They get swung and missed or soft contact occurs.
Ecbucs

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by Ecbucs »

052825343322357576470 wrote: All of the Pirates' relievers have horrible ERAs. At this early stage, that can be the result of 1 bad outing. But Neverauskas and Smoker rarely have a good one. Neverauskas has been scored upon in 4 of 6 outings. And that's when he's only in a game for 1 inning or less. His ERA of 11.57 and WHIP of 2.143 are very reflective of his performance thus far. Smoker hadn't yielded an ER until last night but he was letting inherited runners score. He's allowed base runners in 4 of his 5 games with totals of 9 hits and 2 walks in 4 innings and an ERA of 9.00, WHIP of 2.750. Neither belongs in MLB and they are dragging the team down.

IIRC, Smoker has come in to face a lefty a couple times as first batter and failed to retire him. He has to be on a very short leash. He has no track record of being successful in majors.
dmetz

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

Post by dmetz »

5A51595550514A0F097E475F565151105D513E0 wrote:

I could be wrong, but I always thought the phrase "pitch to contact" was for ground balls and weak contact.  Of course, you want guys to strike out.  That is why Huntington goes after the big framed, hard throwing pitchers.  They are usually the strike out guys.

I wonder if hitters are changing in general.  A hanging curve ball has always been the pitch to crush and hitters waited for it.  It came in slower, hung over the middle of the plate.  Now, it seems the junk pitcher is gone and hitters are hitting more fastballs than ever.

I am a big fan of the sinker (low and away) and the split finger fastball.  It is very hard to drive those pitches.  They get swung and missed or soft contact occurs.

Oh I understand.  I said something critical about the org approach and philosophy so here comes Dog to their defense..

NH goes after those types of bullpen pitchers.  Big right handers who throw 98 and can't hit the broadside of a barn.  We have the market cornered. 

I'm talking about starters mostly.  name me one currently who's a strikeout pitcher, other than Taillon?

I'm sure you are a big fan of the sinker, the Pittsburgh Pirates have loved the sinker for the past 5-6 years and based their organizational pitching philosophy on it.  I don't like ML pitchers throwing fastballs that often, of which a sinker is one type. if ML pitchers have proven one thing to me over the past 10 years, it's that they can and will hit fastballs. it doesn't matter how hard you throw them or on what "downward plane" or what. if you don't keep them guessing, they will get to it.

This whole "launch angle revolution" stuff is hitters swinging more upwards in adjustment to the "downward plane"

Nobody throws the split finger in any quantity anymore, so might as well like the screwball as far as that goes.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 game thread vs Cubs

69606879770D0 wrote:

Oh I understand.  I said something critical about the org approach and philosophy so here comes Dog to their defense..

NH goes after those types of bullpen pitchers.  Big right handers who throw 98 and can't hit the broadside of a barn.  We have the market cornered. 

I'm talking about starters mostly.  name me one currently who's a strikeout pitcher, other than Taillon?

I'm sure you are a big fan of the sinker, the Pittsburgh Pirates have loved the sinker for the past 5-6 years and based their organizational pitching philosophy on it.  I don't like ML pitchers throwing fastballs that often, of which a sinker is one type.  if ML pitchers have proven one thing to me over the past 10 years, it's that they can and will hit fastballs.   it doesn't matter how hard you throw them or on what "downward plane" or what.  if you don't keep them guessing, they will get to it. 

This whole "launch angle revolution" stuff is hitters swinging more upwards in adjustment to the "downward plane"

Nobody throws the split finger in any quantity anymore, so might as well like the screwball as far as that goes.   

I wasn't defending anything. Asking simple questions. But since I asked, it is all defensive.

Sorry for asking...party on dude!

I will wait for someone more respectful to jump in.