NL Division Series - Dodgers vs Giants

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

0D33363E2D35353E1E3B2C3F685A0 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

Oh my, Possum, you're not forgetting 1951, are you?

At his age he probably can forget entire years lol

Possum and I are the same age- Bobby Thompson- seems like yesterday- " Giants win the Pennant" Giants win the Pennant"

What's time's shuffleboard?  ;) 
Shuffleboard? Possum and I can still play Corn Hole with the best of them. We are defending our championship at Madison Square Garden later this month ;D :D

What happened? Did the WW Convention Center go out of business? :)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Speaking of Straying Threads. Phil Rizzuto here. Holy cow. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4F6E664F646C0B0 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

1951 does not count because it was not a real post-season playoff as we see now.  It was simply a 3 game series to determine the winner of the NL pennant due to a tie in NL standings at the end of the season.  If you want to be a purist Doc then my statement above is invalid. 

By the way, I was only 3 yrs old and still learning what baseball was all about and I still had my baby teeth.  My dad was jumping for joy after Thompson's "Shot Heard Around the World"!

I admit I'm a baseball purist so I do count the '51 playoff because it came "post" season. In fact, I regard that three game series more of a playoff than I do the current Wild Card games. A one game playoff runs counter to the way baseball is played throughout the 162 game regular season, and in every other playoff round. It's like having the first round of the NFL playoffs with games lasting only one quarter.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

1951 does not count because it was not a real post-season playoff as we see now.  It was simply a 3 game series to determine the winner of the NL pennant due to a tie in NL standings at the end of the season.  If you want to be a purist Doc then my statement above is invalid. 

By the way, I was only 3 yrs old and still learning what baseball was all about and I still had my baby teeth.  My dad was jumping for joy after Thompson's "Shot Heard Around the World"!

I admit I'm a baseball purist so I do count the '51 playoff because it came "post" season.  In fact, I regard that three game series more of a playoff than I do the current Wild Card games.  A one game playoff runs counter to the way baseball is played throughout the 162 game regular season, and in every other playoff round.  It's like having the first round of the NFL playoffs with games lasting only one quarter.

I can't disagree with you on this. Now tell me you are against the DH, like I am!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

At his age he probably can forget entire years lol

Possum and I are the same age- Bobby Thompson- seems like yesterday- " Giants win the Pennant" Giants win the Pennant"

What's time's shuffleboard?  ;) 
Shuffleboard? Possum and I can still play Corn Hole with the best of them. We are defending our championship at Madison Square Garden later this month ;D :D

What happened?  Did the WW Convention Center go out of business?  :)

Wildwood Convention Center is too small= only holds 8500
2drfischer@gmail.c

1D3C341D363E590 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

I admit I'm a baseball purist so I do count the '51 playoff because it came "post" season.  In fact, I regard that three game series more of a playoff than I do the current Wild Card games.  A one game playoff runs counter to the way baseball is played throughout the 162 game regular season, and in every other playoff round.  It's like having the first round of the NFL playoffs with games lasting only one quarter.

I can't disagree with you on this.  Now tell me you are against the DH, like I am!

The DH is un-American. So is Interleague play.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

045244505F45555E534476515B575F5A1855360 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

I can't disagree with you on this.  Now tell me you are against the DH, like I am!

The DH is un-American.  So is Interleague play.

My goodness, I forgot that one.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3D351C373F580 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

So is a ghost runner to begin extra innings or 7-inning doubleheader games.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

So is having a team that can't get the deed done in 9. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: After a big walk-off win against the Cards, the Dodgers & Giant lock horns [highlight]in the first-ever playoff series between the two teams.[/highlight]  Post your thoughts and reactions below in this best of 5 games series.

And the replay system. I have no use for that, either.