Can The Bucs Compete In 2018

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Until Nutting & Co. show they even have an interest in competing, I don't see how we can assume there's a way that can happen next year. Nothing that happened this year suggests they are even remotely interested.

The weird thing is that, with the upcoming regional sports TV contract (the old Root), Nutting really should be worried about competing. The team's TV ratings are down twenty (!) percent this season from last year.

Their next RSN contract comes up in 2019 (I don't know if it is before of after the season.)

It is in Nutting's interest NOW to change that viewership by putting a competitive team on the field in order to enhance his negotiation on a probable decade plus TV contract.

But, it looks like he's not going to do that.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The media contract probably doesn't matter too much to Nutting. Our FO is repeatedly on record that it's a very good contract for a market our size. Not just Frank, but Neal too (see below)

In order to keep the schitck going, we have to keep receiving the welfare money from the rest of the league.   There are 13 teams paying for at least 35% of our ML payroll through revenue sharing.  Considering that 13 teams are banned from receiving any of the money in the pool at all as of 2015, I'm guessing it's more like half our payroll we're getting from it. 

NH Jan 2016 on the fan:

“Our attendance has risen,” Huntington said. “We’ve set the franchise record each of the last two years, and that is awesome, and it’s a testament and tribute to our fan base. The reality is our attendance still sits in the middle of the pack for the industry. We have a good television contract for the size of the market, but it still sits below the large markets…so there is a limit as payroll rises.”"

On why that didn't matter with KC? same interview

NH 2 : “The Kansas City Royals also had a much higher attendance to build upon as they go forward. Their jump in attendance was significantly higher than ours, and as a result, they’ve generated more revenue to put back into the team. We will continue to spend what we take in, and whatever the fans generate for us, and whatever the revenue sharing is…we’ll continue to pour that right back into the team and the organization.”

Over the 5 years before his statement, the Pirates had an attendance of 11,230,369 compared to 9,880,094 for the Royals.   

The Pirates were 17th in league revenue in 2014 and running at 38% payroll to revenue ratio,  the bottom of baseball
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I don't believe we can compete with this FO, and with the 4 year contract looks like Nutting doesn't care. He will start caring shortly when attendance is way down and the TV contract are up for renewal. However it will be to late with another year of this below average play. So sad this was a great organization and now I'm not sure it will survive with this poor leadership. I remember the time I couldn't wait for the playoffs and world series. I really don't care now, that's where this sorry season has left me, thanks Clint and Neal, you really deserve your new contracts.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

28212938364C0 wrote: The media contract probably doesn't matter too much to Nutting.  Our FO is repeatedly on record that it's a very good contract for a market our size.  Not just Frank, but Neal too (see below)

In order to keep the schitck going, we have to keep receiving the welfare money from the rest of the league.   There are 13 teams paying for at least 35% of our ML payroll through revenue sharing.  Considering that 13 teams are banned from receiving any of the money in the pool at all as of 2015, I'm guessing it's more like half our payroll we're getting from it. 

NH Jan 2016 on the fan:

“Our attendance has risen,” Huntington said. “We’ve set the franchise record each of the last two years, and that is awesome, and it’s a testament and tribute to our fan base. The reality is our attendance still sits in the middle of the pack for the industry. We have a good television contract for the size of the market, but it still sits below the large markets…so there is a limit as payroll rises.”"

On why that didn't matter with KC? same interview

NH 2 : “The Kansas City Royals also had a much higher attendance to build upon as they go forward. Their jump in attendance was significantly higher than ours, and as a result, they’ve generated more revenue to put back into the team. We will continue to spend what we take in, and whatever the fans generate for us, and whatever the revenue sharing is…we’ll continue to pour that right back into the team and the organization.”

Over the 5 years before his statement, the Pirates had an attendance of 11,230,369 compared to 9,880,094 for the Royals.   

The Pirates were 17th in league revenue in 2014 and running at 38% payroll to revenue ratio,  the bottom of baseball

Sickening. They're just out right liars.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3532242C2235727E07202A262E2B6924282A470 wrote:

Sickening.  They're just out right liars.

Like a criminal who has to lie when questioned by the police, TBMTIB is beyond the point where they can tell the truth anymore.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

PATHETIC: In 3 games vs. rotten Reds starting pitching, the Pirates bats did this:

19.2 innings

1 run

21 strikeouts

That is embarrassing. And laughable. The 3 Reds starters were not good.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

The team threw in the towel a month ago.

Horrible way to finish a season
notes34

Post by notes34 »

15303333260D30383A2D5F0 wrote: The team threw in the towel a month ago.

I agree they've quit!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7C7D6677612126120 wrote: The team threw in the towel a month ago.

I agree they've quit!

That's not surprising. I've been complaining (lot of complaining this season that suddenly seems justified) about the character of this team being poor. Marte (uber talent, poor role model; im convinced he's had a negative impact on Polanco), Jaso, Polanco - all with too many episodes of very poor effort. Management from all appearances NEVER held them accountable. In fact, Jaso (a graduate of the "Nuttington College of Public Relations") basically mocked fans that had the gall to question his lack of effort.

How can anyone be surprised this team quit? Management quit a long time ago.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

When Harrison went down for the season; there was no longer any spark. When that spark was extinguished, all that was left was a smoldering pile of dung.