The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears both sides will meet together on Monday. That could be a good thing, since they will sit down together to discuss their proposals. Hopefully this meeting will be the beginning to an agreement so ST can start on time.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

767A7B2029202825223D27100 wrote: Appears both sides will meet together on Monday. That could be a good thing, since they will sit down together to discuss their proposals. Hopefully this meeting will be the beginning to an agreement so ST can start on time.

I'll go contrary to my habits of waiting to comment after agreements. Just posting what I've heard on MLBNR this afternoon, that is, on a high level basis, that the player's union's counterproposal was presented today and that they had some amount of "give" (for lack of a better word) on some issues. If I understand correctly, the union's not as steadfast in seeking changes to the length of time in arbitration and free agency. Apparently, the players don't think those issues are as important to their overall hopes as some others things they're discussing. The analysts felt that there's some amount that the two sides are at least listening to each other to see what else they can come to terms on.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

043126262D1426262D2A26430 wrote: Appears both sides will meet together on Monday. That could be a good thing, since they will sit down together to discuss their proposals. Hopefully this meeting will be the beginning to an agreement so ST can start on time.

I'll go contrary to my habits of waiting to comment after agreements.  Just posting what I've heard on MLBNR this afternoon, that is, on a high level basis, that the player's union's counterproposal was presented today and that they had some amount of "give" (for lack of a better word) on some issues.  If I understand correctly, the union's not as steadfast in seeking changes to the length of time in arbitration and free agency.  Apparently, the players don't think those issues are as important to their overall hopes as some others things they're discussing.  The analysts felt that there's some amount that the two sides are at least listening to each other to see what else they can come to terms on.

Appears there was some progress with today’s negotiations. The Players Union dropped their demand to change the time when players reach Free Agency. In my opinion that is big concession, because lowering the time players reach Free Agency would hurt small market teams like the Pirates. I also read that the two sides are going to meet again tomorrow. Maybe ST may begin on time. Let’s hope!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It's not really a concession.  Neither side can concede something that they don't have.  The union stopped seeking it.

I'm not sure that a change in when teams lose control of a player would have that much of a long term effect.  Using a past example, it's natural to think that we'd lose a Gerrit Cole one year sooner than we did.  But, it would also mean that the guys we traded him for would have begun a year earlier, too.

It's not like the franchise was going to change its mind on whether they were going to keep the guy.  It's not like another year was going to make the player decide to stay.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

MLB Reportedly Expresses Willingness To Cancel Games As Lockout Continues
mouse

Post by mouse »

I suspect that's part of the normal negotiation process. They are saying they aren't going to be pushed around and the players are saying their equivalent of that, but the point is they are still speaking. Each has stopped pretending the other's position is so absurd that meetings aren't worth having. We should start to see movement in the next week or so.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

77565E775C54330 wrote: MLB Reportedly Expresses Willingness To Cancel Games As Lockout Continues
Seems both sides have valid arguments. Does anyone lean in favor of either one and why?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

003E3B33203838331336213265570 wrote: MLB Reportedly Expresses Willingness To Cancel Games As Lockout Continues
Seems both sides have valid arguments. Does anyone lean in favor of either one and why?

I don't favor either side. All I want is baseball featuring a way that small-market clubs can produce WS Championship teams on par with big-market, big-spending clubs. And outlaw Scott Boras and his Corporation.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

52737B527971160 wrote: MLB Reportedly Expresses Willingness To Cancel Games As Lockout Continues

I don't favor either side.  All I want is baseball featuring a way that small-market clubs can produce WS Championship teams on par with big-market, big-spending clubs.  And outlaw Scott Boras and his Corporation.

Scott Boras will sue on grounds that his ability to make a living is being adversely affected :D
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

42636B426961060 wrote: MLB Reportedly Expresses Willingness To Cancel Games As Lockout Continues

I don't favor either side.  All I want is baseball featuring a way that small-market clubs can produce WS Championship teams on par with big-market, big-spending clubs.  And outlaw Scott Boras and his Corporation.

I second the Boras comment. The guy has damaged baseball irreparably, he is driven by unrestrained greed.