Pirates @ Mets - 7/28 - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The debacle continues yet again today. More bad pitching by Archer as he was god awful in that 1st inning and the defense today was just atrocious. That’s 2-14 now since the All Star Break with the Reds and Mets this week the next 6 games. How much worse does this have to get and how more games have to be lost before maybe somebody will come forward and take responsibility for this absolute mess going on right now.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

686F79717F682F235A7D777B7376347975771A0 wrote: This impressive display of ineptitude recently really couldn't have come at a better time.  Last year's contender/pretender act in July is what gave us Huntington's Folly at the trade deadline.  There should be no delusions this year on what must be done.  Hopefully Huntington uses dynamite now and Nutting nukes the remaining rubble from orbit in the off-season.

Yep.  I’m really sick of this organization’s definition of “contending”.  That’s what Neal assured us of: rather than going all-in on a particular year, manage the asset to be good every year. 

What we’re finding is that “contending” is reserved for those organizations that are run like baseball teams.  The Pirates manage themselves like an accounting firm. 

Just sick of this crap.   

I think it really started in 1992. They let Bods go and decided not to offer arbitration . Think about how outrageous that was . He would never accept it . He would be a bargain if he did. Result of that decision was leaving 2 first round draft picks on the table. The following 27 years with the exception of 2 or 3 have been very ugly.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

383F2E3D2E7F724B0 wrote: This impressive display of ineptitude recently really couldn't have come at a better time.  Last year's contender/pretender act in July is what gave us Huntington's Folly at the trade deadline.  There should be no delusions this year on what must be done.  Hopefully Huntington uses dynamite now and Nutting nukes the remaining rubble from orbit in the off-season.

Yep.  I’m really sick of this organization’s definition of “contending”.  That’s what Neal assured us of: rather than going all-in on a particular year, manage the asset to be good every year. 

What we’re finding is that “contending” is reserved for those organizations that are run like baseball teams.  The Pirates manage themselves like an accounting firm. 

Just sick of this crap.   

I think it really started  in 1992. They let Bods go and decided not to offer arbitration . Think about how outrageous that was . He would never accept it . He would be a bargain if he did. Result of that decision was leaving 2 first round draft picks on the table. The following 27 years with the exception of 2 or 3 have been very ugly.

the Pirates did get a compensation back for Bonds (they took first baseman Charles Rice). They lucked out because Bonds signed before the deadline to offer arbitration was reached. Their first round pick in 1993 was Charles Peterson. the Bucs took Jermaine Allensworth with pick they received for Doug Drabek. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Majo ... ball_draft
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Just another day at the office for TBMTIB.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

331405010419261205040419600 wrote: The debacle continues yet again today. More bad pitching by Archer as he was god awful in that 1st inning and the defense today was just atrocious. That’s 2-14 now since the All Star Break with the Reds and Mets this week the next 6 games. How much worse does this have to get and how more games have to be lost before maybe somebody will come forward and take responsibility for this absolute mess going on right now.

A novice GM knows Archer wasn't worth the cost of Meadows, Glasnow and Baz. Three years ago, sure. Last year, no way. NH gets a pass on a few things like having an owner that won't give him the $$$. However, that was a terrible deal. I have a weird suspicion that NH will try to correct that deal by making a deal with the LAD for Vazquez. I don't trust him. This franchise is going no where. It needs a complete enema - owner, GM and manager. Unfortunately, we will be constipated instead.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

04141522343438570 wrote: The debacle continues yet again today. More bad pitching by Archer as he was god awful in that 1st inning and the defense today was just atrocious. That’s 2-14 now since the All Star Break with the Reds and Mets this week the next 6 games. How much worse does this have to get and how more games have to be lost before maybe somebody will come forward and take responsibility for this absolute mess going on right now.

A novice GM knows Archer wasn't worth the cost of Meadows, Glasnow and Baz.  Three years ago, sure.  Last year, no way.  NH gets a pass on a few things like having an owner that won't give him the $$$.  However, that was a terrible deal.  I have a weird suspicion that NH will try to correct that deal by making a deal with the LAD for Vazquez.  I don't trust him.  This franchise is going no where.  It needs a complete enema - owner, GM and manager.  Unfortunately, we will be constipated instead.

That analogy is perfect! ;D

Well done!
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Luckily enemas are way easier now. You no longer need to pump water through a tube , you can just take an awful tasting drink.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I was at the game today. I told my nephew after the 6 run first that the Pirates would have a comeback but come one run short. I think that we need to trade our closer!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think the Pirates need to move on from Archer as well after this season and not pick up his option. I’ve just seen enough from Archer to know I don’t want him in this rotation moving forward the next few years. It’s always but if it wasn’t for this one inning with Chris Archer or he got blown up this inning but he got it back together after that after he gave up 6 runs in the first. The excuses for this guy are endless and it’s starting to get really old. I don’t think there is anyway the Pirates should pick his option up for next season he has really given the Pirates no reason to do so as well. The best thing to do with Archer is admit this trade was a disaster cut your losses and move on from the guy period.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think I would pick up the option and then look to trade him. There's always someone who thinks they can fix a player. Pitchers are always a premium offering.