MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

MLB Draft

Post by mouse »

Do you all like Crews enough to sign him to a ML contract. I don't know who is advising him now, but if it's Boras, I'd expect that the demand.
fjk090852-7

MLB Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Skenes threw over 120 pitches last night in the College World Series Game. That kind of stuff makes me wonder if down the road he is a candidate for TJ surgery. Drafting a pitcher 1-1 is a big gamble today.
WildwoodDave2

MLB Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2B27267D747D75787F607A4D0 wrote: Skenes threw over 120 pitches last night in the College World Series Game. That kind of stuff makes me wonder if down the road he is a candidate for TJ surgery. Drafting a pitcher 1-1 is a big gamble today.
I am with you on that. I have always favored position players
GreenWeenie

MLB Draft

Post by GreenWeenie »

Did you think that they should have passed on Cole? 

Maybe Huntington should have passed over Cole so he could take the first position player instead. A guy named Bubba Something. Barely lasted a year.
LumberCo

MLB Draft

Post by LumberCo »

was thinking Crews until I finally saw Skenes pitch, think he could come straight to the majors. thinking maybe them calling up Henry was a precursor to a Skenes pick. or I could be just dreaming :)
WildwoodDave2

MLB Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5069717E796E5F731C0 wrote: was thinking Crews until I finally saw Skenes pitch, think he could come straight to the majors.  thinking maybe them calling up Henry was a precursor to a Skenes pick.  or I could be just dreaming :)

After watching this anemic offense lately, I say Crews
GreenWeenie

MLB Draft

Post by GreenWeenie »

I look at it this way.  If they played games in some laboratory, I would lean toward the stud position player, too.

The problem and fact is- we play our homes at PNC Park, which they often make look like some experimental lab or a Hollywood audition set, but, honest to God, it's our MLB stadium.

I say, get the guy that you think can help this club the most, but I would lean towards the pitcher if I thought that the decision was close.  It may have been why Huntington chose Cole.  Who knows?

Why to I think this way?  Because it's the Pirates. This is 2023. It's not 1950.

Our biggest immediate need is to have excellent pitching.  It's the best way for us to win.  We have bats, though we need more.  We have the ability to get good bats, either within the system already or by trading suspects to get them.

The only way the Pittsburgh Pirates will ever land a stud pitcher or two is by drafting them.  We'll never trade enough to get a premier pitcher.  We absolutely will never pay to lure one to town.  We traded Cole to get Musgrove.  He wasn't a lights out guy....and, we didn't have him for long.

I don't think that the Pirates would pay the asking price to land an untested top pitcher from a foreign team.  I don't recall them having done it.

We can acquire offense.  We can develop some.  But, there is no other way for the Pirates to have premier pitching than through the draft. 

To be clear, though, I said that if I had two guys, one the position player and the other a pitcher....and, I rated them equal or close to equal.  Pitcher is the way I would go just about every time unless the landscape ever changes in the Pittsburgh organization.
UtahPirate

MLB Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

It's getting interesting. Skenes tops the latest MLB Pipeline projections and more than one site have mentioned Max Clark as a possibility suggesting the Pirates may try to repeat the prospect grab of the 2021 draft by working a below slot deal ala Davis.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2023/0 ... crews.html
Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

0B2A3F360E372C3F2A3B5E0 wrote: It's getting interesting. Skenes tops the latest MLB Pipeline projections and more than one site have mentioned Max Clark as a possibility suggesting the Pirates may try to repeat the prospect grab of the 2021 draft by working a below slot deal ala Davis.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2023/0 ... crews.html

one of my friends thinks that Clark has highest ceiling of any player in draft. On the other hand, he is listed as best prospect from Indiana since Brian Bullington. That frightens me.

Got to hope that the Bucco scouts make the right evaluation.
steve49

MLB Draft

Post by steve49 »

I think after his starts in the CWS , it's going to be Paul Skenes . If not they take the 3rd or 4th rated player and save money in thaT slot. I just don't see how you rate Crews over Skenes at this point in time.