About that Liriano trade...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

as long as nutting is running the show we will never be a consistent contender. when you sell top prospects just to save a little cash you have a serious problem. that move killed me as a Pirate fan. Nutting is the root of the problem!!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

063F27282F3809254A0 wrote: as long as nutting is running the show we will never be a consistent contender.  when you sell top prospects just to save a little cash you have a serious problem.  that move killed me as a Pirate fan.  Nutting is the root of the problem!!

Just sayin . . . we HAVE been a consistent contender until this year.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Liriano might be named the starter for the Jays in the wild card game.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Man, sure looks down right bad with Francisco in the playoffs with Jays, and Bucs on outside...This deal has to be one of the worst from the desk of Neal Huntington... >:(
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1E2C20203406252C21242B2C4D0 wrote: as long as nutting is running the show we will never be a consistent contender.  when you sell top prospects just to save a little cash you have a serious problem.  that move killed me as a Pirate fan.  Nutting is the root of the problem!!

We were a contender for a play-off spot ... nothing else more - not a Division title really, not a WS appearance. Great, we got to three consecutive wild card games and won one. However, we didn't continue the generated momentum to improve. That is what got us to now. Now, we are back to where we were in the 22-year losing streak.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

596E78685D7A7572755C5A1B0 wrote: Man, sure looks down right bad with Francisco in the playoffs with Jays, and Bucs on outside...This deal has to be one of the worst from the desk of Neal Huntington... >:(

eh ... it was a move that had to be made.  His body language here was terrible.  He sucked.  The only thing he did well was hit and that should tell you something.  I had no problem trading him and his horrid ERA,and  attitude.  I had problems adding those two prospects, even though they probably didn't have much of a future here.  They could have been packaged off to other organizations in different deals to get something back of some consequence.  Now, we have an inconsequential piece from Toronto back that they didn't see as a future piece at all.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

75656453454549260 wrote: as long as nutting is running the show we will never be a consistent contender.  when you sell top prospects just to save a little cash you have a serious problem.  that move killed me as a Pirate fan.  Nutting is the root of the problem!!

We were a contender for a play-off spot ... nothing else more - not a Division title really, not a WS appearance.  Great, we got to three consecutive wild card games and won one.  However, we didn't continue the generated momentum to improve.  That is what got us to now.  Now, we are back to where we were in the 22-year losing streak.

Are you saying a team that wins 98 games isn't a legitimate world series contender?  Now I'll agree with you as far as momentum and this past offseason go; but the Pirates had just as good a shot last year as anyone else, unless you think that the Mets really were the best team in the NL last year.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

70424E4E5A684B424F4A4542230 wrote: as long as nutting is running the show we will never be a consistent contender.  when you sell top prospects just to save a little cash you have a serious problem.  that move killed me as a Pirate fan.  Nutting is the root of the problem!!

We were a contender for a play-off spot ... nothing else more - not a Division title really, not a WS appearance.  Great, we got to three consecutive wild card games and won one.  However, we didn't continue the generated momentum to improve.  That is what got us to now.  Now, we are back to where we were in the 22-year losing streak.

Are you saying a team that wins 98 games isn't a legitimate world series contender?  Now I'll agree with you as far as momentum and this past offseason go; but the Pirates had just as good a shot last year as anyone else, unless you think that the Mets really were the best team in the NL last year.

To be honest, I didn't even consider us a WS contender once we lost the division race. Why? Because I knew Cole would crap the bed in a loser leave town matchup against Jake the Snake.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1D2A3C2C193E313631181E5F0 wrote: Man, sure looks down right bad with Francisco in the playoffs with Jays, and Bucs on outside...This deal has to be one of the worst from the desk of Neal Huntington... >:(

Horrible trade he was worthless to us but he certainly was worth a lot to other clubs and NH should have know that, that's his job. His stock has went down what other team would want this guy in their FO.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

253D3F38382F3E39242533560 wrote: Man, sure looks down right bad with Francisco in the playoffs with Jays, and Bucs on outside...This deal has to be one of the worst from the desk of Neal Huntington... >:(

Horrible trade he was worthless to us but he certainly was worth a lot to other clubs and NH should have know that, that's his job.  His stock has went down what other team would want this guy in their FO.

Yes, from a "trade" perspective it was horrible. But this was not a trade in the sense that NH thought he was getting a fair return. It was strictly a salary dump. Toronto was willing to pay the salary of an inconsistent and struggling Liriano in exchange for McGuire and Ramirez. For the Pirates, the loss of Liriano was addition by subtraction and the prospects were surrendered so that Toronto paid Liriano. Hutchison was unwanted by Toronto and appears to have been the throw in so that NH could deny it was strictly a salary dump, although he admitted that was "part of the motivation." (I'm guessing that part was about 98% of the motivation.) I hate the deal from the perspective that a team with one of MLB's lowest payrolls should not sacrifice prospects to further reduce that payroll. But I don't judge the "trade" in terms of the return NH received because all he really wanted from Toronto was for them to pay Liriano.