Whitley Suspended 50 Games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

042924353223347477460 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

How do other teams trade for opposing team's top prospects?
This article says not a single top 100 prospect has been traded this off season. Teams are reluctant to part with them.

Ouch, non of the guys the Pirates got are in their top 10. That's pretty damning.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5A777A6B6C7D6A2A29180 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

This article says not a single top 100 prospect has been traded this off season. Teams are reluctant to part with them.

If the NL MVP doesn't bring back a team's top prospect, we are to think Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen should have? Even if many here think Cole is not an ace and McCutchen is on the downside of his career?

*Bobster, I wish you would stop defending our GM.

*sarcasm

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

How do other teams trade for opposing team's top prospects? I don’t care about other teams and what they do I’m talking about the Pirates. Other teams sign free agents like the Mets did with Frazier and Bruce who the Pirates could have afforded. Other teams make trades for guys like Ozuna and don’t give up their top prospects. The Pirates do none of that and never get anything of substance back that can help the Major League roster and make a big impact right away. This GM is a mouthpiece for Nutting and the Pirates will never get to the next level with this guy as their GM. Huntington has reached his expiration date here as far as I’m concerned.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

735445414459665245444459200 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

How do other teams trade for opposing team's top prospects? I don’t care about other teams and what they do I’m talking about the Pirates. Other teams sign free agents like the Mets did with Frazier and Bruce who the Pirates could have afforded. Other teams make trades for guys like Ozuna and don’t give up their top prospects. The Pirates do none of that and never get anything of substance back that can help the Major League roster and make a big impact right away.

You said trade for other team's top prospect(s).

I can try to help in answering my own question. A team would need a top talent in order to receive a top talent in return.

Do you think Cole or McCutchen would return such a prospect from any team? Before you answer, please note that Stanton and Ozuna did not return that value either.

Now you probably think I am being ridiculous in defending a GM who I am not a fan of at this point. In reality, you are being a little ridiculous and going out of your way to bash Huntington for not trading for Whitley while using less talent than the Marlins.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

that article is from 12/19 though. Don't know if any were dealt after that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

A big problem with trades these days is that they are usually made for salary relief (Stanton) or because a player's remaining time is limited (Cutch). The primary compensation to Miami for Stanton was that NY took that enormous contract away from the Marlins. The Marlins were not in a position to ask for both that and the Yankees top prospects. The cheap Pirates were not going to spend to keep Cutch after 2018. So SF traded for 1 year of his services. A team won't surrender their best prospects for 1 year of a player. Cole and Ozuna were traded with 2 years of control and did not come with mega salaries. That should be worth more but it's still just 2 years of control. How many teams are willing to see their top prospects starring for other teams long after their 2-year term with the guy they received has passed. At least in the off season. What could seem like a reasonable risk before the season begins could turn bad if things just don't go as expected and then you've lost your top prospects. But by midseason, teams know what their status is and whether they may be just 1 players away for a legit chance at a WS and they may make a bolder trade.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: A big problem with trades these days is that they are usually made for salary relief (Stanton) or because a player's remaining time is limited (Cutch). The primary compensation to Miami for Stanton was that NY took that enormous contract away from the Marlins. The Marlins were not in a position to ask for both that and the Yankees top prospects. The cheap Pirates were not going to spend to keep Cutch after 2018. So SF traded for 1 year of his services. A team won't surrender their best prospects for 1 year of a player. Cole and Ozuna were traded with 2 years of control and did not come with mega salaries. That should be worth more but it's still just 2 years of control. How many teams are willing to see their top prospects starring for other teams long after their 2-year term with the guy they received has passed. At least in the off season. What could seem like a reasonable risk before the season begins could turn bad if things just don't go as expected and then you've lost your top prospects. But by midseason, teams know what their status is and whether they may be just 1 players away for a legit chance at a WS and they make a bolder trade.   

Yes, very true. Good post and explanation.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: Doesn’t matter because Neal Huntington has proved he has absolutely no clue at all how to acquire other teams top prospects for his top players. It’s always “well we tried to get this guy or that guy but it didn’t work out. Huntington is all talk and no action as far as I’m concerned. My opinion of him has really went completely down the toilet after this last off-season. He is not the GM that is gonna turn this team around again and get them back to the playoffs.

How do other teams trade for opposing team's top prospects? I don’t care about other teams and what they do I’m talking about the Pirates. Other teams sign free agents like the Mets did with Frazier and Bruce who the Pirates could have afforded. Other teams make trades for guys like Ozuna and don’t give up their top prospects. The Pirates do none of that and never get anything of substance back that can help the Major League roster and make a big impact right away.

You said trade for other team's top prospect(s). 

I can try to help in answering my own question.  A team would need a top talent in order to receive a top talent in return. 

Do you think Cole or McCutchen would return such a prospect from any team?  Before you answer, please note that Stanton and Ozuna did not return that value either.

Now you probably think I am being ridiculous in defending a GM who I am not a fan of at this point.  In reality, you are being a little ridiculous and going out of your way to bash Huntington for not trading for Whitley while using less talent than the Marlins. Huntington doesn’t get good prospects or good Major League talent in return in any trades he makes is my point. He is absolutely terrified to trade any of his own top prospects or even mid range prospects for quality Major League talent. Think it would have been a good idea to trade Glasnow back in 2015 when they won 98 games and tried to go all out like the Royals did that year when they went out and got Cueto, and they could have gotten another starting pitcher or position player in return that could have helped them win the division instead of having to face Arietta in the wildcard game who was ridiculous that entire season. I’ve given Huntington the benefit of the doubt for years same with Hurdle. But not anymore. They both signed their names to 4 year contracts knowing the kind of owner they are working under and the conditions they have to work with. So moving forward I don’t believe a word that comes out of either of their mouths and these two no longer have any sympathy from me. They made their bed with Bob Nutting and they both now can lay in it and suffer.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

60475652574A75415657574A330 wrote: Yep sign Huntington for another 10 years for not including him the Cole deal and for the Bryce Brentz pickup yesterday. Simply phenomenal.

I love this post ... a lot. It would have been fitting with the way this winter has gone if Whitley was included in the deal in place of Musgrove.