Hosmer contract..,

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Hosmer contract..,

Post by Ecbucs »

785F4E4A4F526D594E4F4F522B0 wrote: That’s the difference. The Brewers and Padres went out and add pieces and spend money. The Padres get Hosmer, while the Brewers get Yelich and Cain. The Pirates want to make you think they spend money when all they do is simply tread water. The Pirates [highlight]biggest free agent signing after a 98 win season was John Jaso.[/highlight] Like I just mentioned that’s not spending money to me that’s treading water and that’s what’s so damn annoying and frustrating with this team.

Freddy - slight correction, Vogelsong was bigger free agent than Jaso. Vogelsong is 6 feet 4 inches 215 pounds while Jaso is only 6'2 and 202. Vogelsong is clearly bigger.
SteadyFreddy

Hosmer contract..,

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The bottom line here is the Pirates don’t spend enough money and their actions show that winning is not a top priority in this organization. They had opportunities to add a top notch free agent pitcher or bat in the lineup and get over the hump possibly the next year in 2016 and they didn’t do it. I don’t give a damn how the Brewers or Padres spent their money in the last few years. Just because they didn’t spend in those years or before doesn’t give the Pirates an excuse to do the exact same thing just cause those teams didn’t.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hosmer contract..,

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: That’s the difference. The Brewers and Padres went out and add pieces and spend money. The Padres get Hosmer, while the Brewers get Yelich and Cain. The Pirates want to make you think they spend money when all they do is simply tread water. The Pirates biggest free agent signing after a 98 win season was John Jaso. Like I just mentioned that’s not spending money to me that’s treading water and that’s what’s so damn annoying and frustrating with this team.

That is something Dog can't comprehend.

It's not that I am not comprehending it, I am asking why these teams who are now near or above the Pirates in payroll weren't questioned last year.  They are still one of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball.  People think the Pirates should be at $125 million, yet the Padres and Brewers aren't at $90 million and are getting praised.  Do you not see the lack of fairness?

This is about Pittsburgh being a 98-win team not that long ago, not making the necessary adds to put them over the top or closer to the top.  Instead, they tanked.  Went the other direction.  Milwaukee, SD and such weren't 98 win teams.  They are putting forth effort, meanwhile Pittsburgh is in tank mode.  I can't stand franchises that think their fan bases are dumb by selling this foolish notion.   Stop defending this junk ownership/management team.  You are either not comprehending a very simple thing, or you have bought into this foolishness the ownership.management group is trying to sell full bore.  Which is it?

The Pirates put in the effort from 2013 -2015.  The Brewers and Padres did not. 

San Diego has had two winning seasons in the last 11 years.  They have never went to the playoffs three years in a row in their franchise history.  But now we are praising them because they now I putting in an effort? 

The Brewers didn't improve on their 96 win season in 2011.

Both of these teams will still have one of the lowest payrolls in all of baseball as it stands now.  They still need to make more moves to get over $100 million.  The Pirates were where these teams want to be. 

I am just being fair.  Where was the criticism the last few years for the Padres and Brewers?  Scott Boras probably didn't have many clients being traded.

I don't think you're being fair, Dog. The Brewers could not help but lose Fielder after 2011 when he signed a mega-deal few teams could match. In 2011, Prince provided 38 HRs, 120 RBIs, .299 BA. That can't be replaced and their win total dropped in 2012. But not because they didn't try. They gave Aramis Ramirez a 46 mil deal and he gave them 27 HRs, 105 RBIs and .300 BA. They signed Aoki from Japan. They replaced problematic Nyjer Morgan with young Carlos Gomez. They increased payroll from 85.5 mil (#17) in 2011 to 97.6 mil (#10) in 2012. They couldn't overcome the loss of Fielder but not because they didn't try. You're comparing that to the Pirates following a 98 win season by replacing Burnett/Happ with Vogelsong and signing Jaso to fill the void at 1B. I don't see how you can call that fair. 

They still have had one winning season since (last year). Weird, that was the year they had the lowest payroll in all of baseball too. They also made one impactful trade last year too. Their moves were bad as they got worse. It wasn't money, but talent evaluation.

The Brewers have never won a World Series. They had the lowest payroll in all of baseball last year. Of course, they had money to spend on two players. They are just above the Pirates right now. They should spend more. I was told real contenders spend at least $100 million on payroll.

I just don't get the praise for the Brewers (and now the Padres) while knocking down the Pirates in the process. The Brewers should be doing this. They should have done more last year as they could have won the division. The Brewers failed to win in their last window of opportunity. It looks like their window is opening up again. The Pirates just closed their window. I just hope it doesn't take 11 years to get that window back open. But if it does, I expect that praise and job well done come year 12.
SteadyFreddy

Hosmer contract..,

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Brewers at least this year went and made a move after having a quality 86 win season by trading for Yelich who is a damn good player, and signing Cain as well who is an All Star player. They are at least going for it by making these kinds of moves. Signing Jaso,Vogelsong,and getting Jon Niese for Neil Walker who was your starting 2nd baseman on that 98 win team and a key component is not going for it and telling me you really want to win.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hosmer contract..,

75524347425F60544342425F260 wrote: The Brewers at least this year went and made a move after having a quality 86 win season by trading for Yelich who is a damn good player, and signing Cain as well who is an All Star player. They are at least going for it by making these kinds of moves. Signing Jaso,Vogelsong,and getting Jon Niese for Neil Walker who was your starting 2nd baseman on that 98 win team and a key component is not going for it and telling me you really want to win.

Why are you bringing up 2016 and not 2013, 2014, 2015? Didn't the Pirates go for it in those years?

I like what the Brewers did this past off season. I hope they do more. They have the money since they saved a ton last year. Their payroll is still very low for a team who is in "contention".
mouse

Hosmer contract..,

Post by mouse »

About four years ago the Padres signed every free agent in sight, winning the offseason in a walk-away. They had a terrible year and are still digging out from under those contracts. So spending money isn't the magic cure-all.
PMike

Hosmer contract..,

Post by PMike »

6368606C6968733630477E666F6868296468070 wrote: The Brewers at least this year went and made a move after having a quality 86 win season by trading for Yelich who is a damn good player, and signing Cain as well who is an All Star player. They are at least going for it by making these kinds of moves. Signing Jaso,Vogelsong,and getting Jon Niese for Neil Walker who was your starting 2nd baseman on that 98 win team and a key component is not going for it and telling me you really want to win.

Why are you bringing up 2016 and not 2013, 2014, 2015?  Didn't the Pirates go for it in those years?   

I like what the Brewers did this past off season.  I hope they do more.  They have the money since they saved a ton last year.  Their payroll is still very low for a team who is in "contention". 

The Brewers had lots of room to add payroll because they (wisely) dropped the bottom out over the last few years. They don't pay $5-10 million a pop for marginal players. They Pirates need to immediately drop players like Hudson, Freese, and S-Rod. Let young and cheap players play and see what you have. Milwaukee found out what they had in Santana by doing that.
SteadyFreddy

Hosmer contract..,

Post by SteadyFreddy »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: The Brewers at least this year went and made a move after having a quality 86 win season by trading for Yelich who is a damn good player, and signing Cain as well who is an All Star player. They are at least going for it by making these kinds of moves. Signing Jaso,Vogelsong,and getting Jon Niese for Neil Walker who was your starting 2nd baseman on that 98 win team and a key component is not going for it and telling me you really want to win.

Why are you bringing up 2016 and not 2013, 2014, 2015?  Didn't the Pirates go for it in those years?   

I like what the Brewers did this past off season.  I hope they do more.  They have the money since they saved a ton last year.  Their payroll is still very low for a team who is in "contention". 

They went and got Byrd and Morneau in 2013 which won them one wildcard game and no playoff series. They really didn’t make any moves to help themselves in 2014 and lost a wildcard game at home. And in 2015 they went and got Happ which turned out to be a good move and could have probably traded Glasnow who was in high high demand  to get a guy like Price that year who maybe would have beat Arietta in the wildcard game and once again they lost at home. So while they had success in 2013-2015 let’s nit act like they win all these division titles and pennants in those years. At the end of the day they had nothing to show for it and accomplished nothing, and like I mentioned before did absolutely nothing to build off of that 98 win team in 2016. The Pirates,Nationals and Mariners are the only teams since 1979 to not have won at least a pennant and played in a World Series. So yea when your going on almost half a century of not playing in the World Series like the Pirates are now I want more being done by management.
rucker59@gmail.com

Hosmer contract..,

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

::)

Well, here we go again....

Just insane.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hosmer contract..,

716C484A44210 wrote: The Brewers at least this year went and made a move after having a quality 86 win season by trading for Yelich who is a damn good player, and signing Cain as well who is an All Star player. They are at least going for it by making these kinds of moves. Signing Jaso,Vogelsong,and getting Jon Niese for Neil Walker who was your starting 2nd baseman on that 98 win team and a key component is not going for it and telling me you really want to win.

The Brewers had lots of room to add payroll because they (wisely) dropped the bottom out over the last few years.  They don't pay $5-10 million a pop for marginal players.  They Pirates need to immediately drop players like Hudson, Freese, and S-Rod.  Let young and cheap players play and see what you have.  Milwaukee found out what they had in Santana by doing that.

Correct. Not many are realizing this.