The They won't be here come Tuesday night thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7B777E736438627F7B79627E6F242656717B160 wrote: I would keep Newman.

Yes, he had a terrible 2021. Couldn't hit the ball out of the infield. And a terrible 2020, but then so did Bryan Reynolds.

He's young still. He hit .300 in 2019. He's hitting .290 now. Whatever problems he had with hard contact last year seem to have been solved. He's not a free agent until 2025.

All those hotshot AAA or AA infielders might not hit their stride until 2026 anyway. If Newman continues to hit well he'll still be good trade bait next year.

Or if Newman still looks good you extend him and trade one of those excess infielders (Bae, Gonzalez, Peguero) for starting pitching, which we desperately need.

These are good points, and the reason why I didn't include Newman on my list. He'd be serviceable until Nick Gonzales is ready to be the everyday 2Bman in a year to year and a half from now.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Looks like The Babe and Maine Bucs had their future vision glasses on, seeing Quintana AND Stratton going.

Bucs didn't do much, which I think surprised us all at least a little bit. I guess a hint of a house clearing didn't really happen, rather the hint of "we don't feel obligated to do anything" seemed closer to the truth.

Yoshi now DFA, so I'd give credit to all on that pick too. Still we have the greatest enigma of the season, that being Josh VanMeter. There was never a need for him, and yet here he remains.

My only speculation is it might have something to do with the grievance the union filed about teams like the Pirates, so they sign a low cost young veteran who's already in journeyman status. Might be why they kept Yoshi around so long too.