MLB rule question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

MLB rule question

Post by Bobster21 »

Does anyone know the answer to this:

Game goes into the 10th inning tied 0-0. The home team has an perfect game after 9 innings. Visiting team begins 10th with ghost runner at 2B. The first batter grounds out and ghost runner takes 3B. The second batter flies out and ghost runner scores. The third batter strikes out. Home team has now retired all 30 batters they faced but trail 1-0. Home team doesn't score and loses game 1-0.

Does it get recorded as a perfect game? Despite scoring a run, every batter was retired. 30 up, 30 down. Is it now possible to pitch a perfect game but lose? Or does the automatic placement of a ghost runner at 2B ruin the perfect game?
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB rule question

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base. On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base. On the other hand, he did allow a run. I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.
Surgnbuck

MLB rule question

Post by Surgnbuck »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Does anyone know the answer to this:

Game goes into the 10th inning tied 0-0. The home team has an perfect game after 9 innings. Visiting team begins 10th with ghost runner at 2B. The first batter grounds out and ghost runner takes 3B. The second batter flies out and ghost runner scores. The third batter strikes out. Home team has now retired all 30 batters they faced but trail 1-0. Home team doesn't score and loses game 1-0.

Does it get recorded as a perfect game? Despite scoring a run,  every batter was retired. 30 up, 30 down. Is it now possible to pitch a perfect game but lose? Or does the automatic placement of a ghost runner at 2B ruin the perfect game?
I don't think the ghost runner counts against a pitchers ERA. So I'd say, yes with an ***

I love this question because this is a very plausible scenario. As this is the stupidest rule in baseball, one I won't give any consideration to, I hope it happens.
Surgnbuck

MLB rule question

Post by Surgnbuck »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.
see, we can agree on some stupid rule changes :) :) This is the dumbest thing baseball has ever done. Go to using ties then after say 12-14 innings play or better yet, SUSPEND the effing game, save the bullpens for another day, they can be part of a DH. If the teams don't meet later that year, than like a lot of games needing made up, do so if necessary
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB rule question

6B4D4A5F565A4D5B53380 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.
see, we can agree on some stupid rule changes :) :)  This is the dumbest thing baseball has ever done. Go to using ties then after say 12-14 innings play or better yet, SUSPEND the effing game, save the bullpens for another day, they can be part of a DH. If the teams don't meet later that year, than like a lot of games needing made up, do so if necessary

I agree, this is a really dumb rule but, for me, just as dumb as the DH and Interleague play. I despise how they’ve made the game worse for me. This ghost runner change is just as bad.
Surgnbuck

MLB rule question

Post by Surgnbuck »

356375616E74646F627547606A666E6B2964070 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.
see, we can agree on some stupid rule changes :) :)  This is the dumbest thing baseball has ever done. Go to using ties then after say 12-14 innings play or better yet, SUSPEND the effing game, save the bullpens for another day, they can be part of a DH. If the teams don't meet later that year, than like a lot of games needing made up, do so if necessary

I agree, this is a really dumb rule but, for me, just as dumb as the DH and Interleague play.  I despise how they’ve made the game worse for me.  This ghost runner change is just as bad.
not a fan of the DH but as I've pointed out, it would be a null discussion had it not been an issue of money, because it would have been instituted in 1920's. It's been around 50 years now, gotten used to it.

I was okay with interleague play if it was just a home and home series, rotating each year. Luck of the draw who you get.

This thing is the dumbest ever though. Not that far behind were 7 inning DH's. All that stuff was to reduce injuries and stuff, yet they had no problem truncating ST this season to get in a full schedule. Spare me the "we care about the players" stuff, and spare me the, "we're ready to go" stuff the players throw out there.

I hope 2023 will be normal, but we already know robo umps are coming (feelings on that?), larger bases, shift bans.

2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB rule question

1B3D3A2F262A3D2B23480 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.

I agree, this is a really dumb rule but, for me, just as dumb as the DH and Interleague play.  I despise how they’ve made the game worse for me.  This ghost runner change is just as bad.
not a fan of the DH but as I've pointed out, it would be a null discussion had it not been an issue of money, because it would have been instituted in 1920's. It's been around 50 years now, gotten used to it.

I was okay with interleague play if it was just a home and home series, rotating each year. Luck of the draw who you get.

This thing is the dumbest ever though. Not that far behind were 7 inning DH's. All that stuff was to reduce injuries and stuff, yet they had no problem truncating ST this season to get in a full schedule. Spare me the "we care about the players" stuff, and spare me the, "we're ready to go" stuff the players throw out there.

I hope 2023 will be normal, but we already know robo umps are coming (feelings on that?), larger bases, shift bans.

I’m not a fan of technology replacing humans in a sport, but I understand the goal of wanting to get every call right. So, if that’s the goal, why not have the game scrutinized by dozens of cameras and have video decide each call? Why the need for umpires at all?

I like that there’s a human element. Players make mistakes, so can umpires. No one dies when they do.
Surgnbuck

MLB rule question

Post by Surgnbuck »

306670646B71616A677042656F636B6E2C61020 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.

I’m not a fan of technology replacing humans in a sport, but I understand the goal of wanting to get every call right.  So, if that’s the goal, why not have the game scrutinized by dozens of cameras and have video decide each call?  Why the need for umpires at all? 

I like that there’s a human element.  Players make mistakes, so can umpires.  No one dies when they do.

I think those who want robo umps should take a good long thought, because how has replay always worked out well? Get the umps graded out better, make them call the strike zone. Looking at most games, they get most of them right. Maybe some egregious bad call, not an on the line thing. Speaking of which, who decides where that line should be?
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB rule question

765057424B4750464E250 wrote: Interesting question, the answer to it being made even less clear by the definition of a perfect game, which states that a pitcher allows no hits, runs, or a batter to reach base.  On the one hand, the pitcher did not allow a runner to reach base.  On the other hand, he did allow a run.  I hope this situation arises and MLB makes such a stupid ruling that they’re forced to eliminate he ghost runner fiasco altogether.

I’m not a fan of technology replacing humans in a sport, but I understand the goal of wanting to get every call right.  So, if that’s the goal, why not have the game scrutinized by dozens of cameras and have video decide each call?  Why the need for umpires at all? 

I like that there’s a human element.  Players make mistakes, so can umpires.  No one dies when they do.

I think those who want robo umps should take a good long thought, because how has replay always worked out well? Get the umps graded out better, make them call the strike zone. Looking at most games, they get most of them right. Maybe some egregious bad call, not an on the line thing. Speaking of which, who decides where that line should be?

Exactly. Didn’t replay start out with the intent of changing the really bad calls? Now they’re looking at a runner being tagged out because his pinky finger lifted off the bag for a nano second. To me, it’s impossible to draw the line as to where to stop. Baseball’s not a video game and, while I think it’s a perfect game, it’s not perfectly played or arbitrated. That’s okay with me.
Bobster21

MLB rule question

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm in favor of HP ump having a piece in his ear to signal balls vs strikes. They can decide on whichever system they want to determine that and then use it. Batters will have to adjust to it, but it's better than adjusting to every different ump who calls it differently. Ball/strike calling has gotten worse over the years as the speed of pitching has increased. We're asking umps to make a split second decision on 95-100 mph FBs not to mention breaking balls that may or may not have hit some part of the plate. And it's not just a ball 4 or a strike 3 call. Missed pitches early in the count change the entire AB. It makes a big difference to both batter and pitcher being 0-2 rather than 1-1. or 2-1 rather than 1-2. These umpiring mistakes happen throughout every game and can have a huge impact. The ump would not be replaced. He is needed behind the plate to call foul tips, check swings, HBP, catcher's interference, balks, and plays at the plate. But they need help with ball/strike calling.