We are about 6 weeks away so I thought it would be

a good time to start this thread.

Very good article in todays PG by Jason Mackey- Crews

is the front runner but it also seems to be the best

draft in years.
WildwoodDave2

MLB Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0C32373F2C34343F1F3A2D3E695B0 wrote: We are about 6 weeks away so I thought it would be

a good time to start this thread.

Very good article in todays PG by Jason Mackey-  Crews

is the front runner but it also seems to be the best

draft in years.
Crews is being compared to Bryce Harper who was the First Round pick of the Nationals in 2010 and Rookie of the Year in 2012.
3pirates3

MLB Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

ChillinStation

MLB Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

Like Callis mentioned, I have a bad feeling Pirates cut a deal and draft a less expensive prospect from freaking HS thats 5ft tall and plays 2b :-[ The next Tony Womack awaits.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

If Dylan Crews is as good as being reported, Cherington has to draft him. The team desperately needs an outfielder who’s better than the guys who we’ve seen over the past year and a half. If a team wants to be a serious contender, it has to have multiple stars in its line-up.

All the best teams have more than one guy who can carry a team. The Pirates don’t have that now and I don’t see any of the outfielders who’ve been year the last year and a half who can join with Reynolds to be at least a duel threat. If Crews can be that guy, BC has to take him.

I know a team can’t win without great pitching but, a talent like it’s said Crews is, can’t be passed up.
Bobster21

MLB Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: If Dylan Crews is as good as being reported, Cherington has to draft him.  The team desperately needs an outfielder who’s better than the guys who we’ve seen over the past year and a half.  If a team wants to be a serious contender, it has to have multiple stars in its line-up. 

All the best teams have more than one guy who can carry a team.  The Pirates don’t have that now and I don’t see any of the outfielders who’ve been year the last year and a half who can join with Reynolds to be at least a duel threat.  If Crews can be that guy, BC has to take him.

I know a team can’t win without great pitching but, a talent like it’s said Crews is, can’t be passed up.
I agree. And it's not even worth it for the Pirates to try to draft and develop a stud pitcher. They did that with Cole. Where is he now? He had one outstanding season as a Pirate before being traded while still under control. They knew he wouldn't sign to remain with the team. Free agency limits the Pirates to 4 or 5 years with a player before trading him before he can walk as a FA. Position players can become productive early in their MLB career. But it's very rare for a pitcher to reach his potential that early. If they can't extend Keller, it will be another example of going thru most of the growing pains before another team reaps the reward.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: If Dylan Crews is as good as being reported, Cherington has to draft him.  The team desperately needs an outfielder who’s better than the guys who we’ve seen over the past year and a half.  If a team wants to be a serious contender, it has to have multiple stars in its line-up. 

All the best teams have more than one guy who can carry a team.  The Pirates don’t have that now and I don’t see any of the outfielders who’ve been year the last year and a half who can join with Reynolds to be at least a duel threat.  If Crews can be that guy, BC has to take him.

I agree. And it's not even worth it for the Pirates to try to draft and develop a stud pitcher. They did that with Cole. Where is he now? He had one outstanding season as a Pirate before being traded while still under control. They knew he wouldn't sign to remain with the team. Free agency limits the Pirates to 4 or 5 years with a player before trading him before he can walk as a FA. Position players can become productive early in their MLB career. But it's very rare for a pitcher to reach his potential that early. If they can't extend Keller, it will be another example of going thru most of the growing pains before another team reaps the reward.

Exactly. The odds of the Pirates drafting a pitcher who can return star-like dividends immediately are extremely long. The chances are much better with a position player. It's probably more likely to replace a position player lost to free agency more quickly, also. Star pitching is so, so important to have but a franchise like the Pirates rarely gets the long term use from those guys.
IABucFan

MLB Draft

Post by IABucFan »

1244524649534348455260474D41494C0E43200 wrote: If Dylan Crews is as good as being reported, Cherington has to draft him.  The team desperately needs an outfielder who’s better than the guys who we’ve seen over the past year and a half.  If a team wants to be a serious contender, it has to have multiple stars in its line-up. 

Exactly.  The odds of the Pirates drafting a pitcher who can return star-like dividends immediately are extremely long.  The chances are much better with a position player.  It's probably more likely to replace a position player lost to free agency more quickly, also. Star pitching is so, so important to have but a franchise like the Pirates rarely gets the long term use from those guys.

Their best bet is with guys like Burnett and Liriano. Most of those don't work out, but those two did.

I like the way the rotation shapes up in the future. I really think Oviedo in particular has the stuff to become really, really good, meaning at least a legit #2 starter, quite possibly a legit #1. But, I would like to find a lefty to compliment our righty-heavy rotation, perhaps someone who is looking to resurrect a career, like Liriano.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB Draft

737B784F597C5B543A0 wrote: If Dylan Crews is as good as being reported, Cherington has to draft him.  The team desperately needs an outfielder who’s better than the guys who we’ve seen over the past year and a half.  If a team wants to be a serious contender, it has to have multiple stars in its line-up. 

Exactly.  The odds of the Pirates drafting a pitcher who can return star-like dividends immediately are extremely long.  The chances are much better with a position player.  It's probably more likely to replace a position player lost to free agency more quickly, also. Star pitching is so, so important to have but a franchise like the Pirates rarely gets the long term use from those guys.

Their best bet is with guys like Burnett and Liriano. Most of those don't work out, but those two did.

I like the way the rotation shapes up in the future. I really think Oviedo in particular has the stuff to become really, really good, meaning at least a legit #2 starter, quite possibly a legit #1. But, I would like to find a lefty to compliment our righty-heavy rotation, perhaps someone who is looking to resurrect a career, like Liriano.

I, too, like the youngsters in the rotation at this time, and there seems to be a handful more in the system who it’s said have potential to be pretty good. Currently, I also like Oviedo and I’m really intrigued by Ortiz. His dominating performance a week or so ago was spectacular and I hope indicates what’s to come.
3pirates3

MLB Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »