Who is the #2 prospect for 2017?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Kinda a low turnout for the #1 poll, only 32 votes. Austin Meadows wins handily with 59% of the vote, close race for second. Since it looks like it's going to be 8 options, adding Cole Tucker

#1 Austin Meadows
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I voted Glasnow, but my expectations have definitely been tapped down. He looked overwhelmed.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6463757D7364232F56717B777F7A3875797B160 wrote: I voted Glasnow, but my expectations have definitely been tapped down.  He looked overwhelmed. 

I agree, but he is still very young. He needs that third pitch.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think Glasnow was exactly what we thought he was when he came up last year. The thing that stood out to me was that he lost too many pitches. He's still a work in progress, if he gets to the point where he can command his pitches, he'll be an ace. I think if he stays at this level, he's at least Charlie Morton.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0A3729242B212A082037262021450 wrote: I think Glasnow was exactly what we thought he was when he came up last year.  The thing that stood out to me was that he lost too many pitches.  He's still a work in progress, if he gets to the point where he can command his pitches, he'll be an ace.  I think if he stays at this level, he's at least Charlie Morton.

No, he's ready now. The front office is LYING when they say he needs to stay down and develop a changeup.

Lying.

For some reason.

CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

I voted Glasnow since I voted him #1. I think he still has ace upside and ace pitching prospects are rare. We need to be patient though. He reminds me of Randy Johnson in size and in his pitch development. It took RJ some time to reach his potential. I think it could be Tyler's 4th year before we see him start to be consistent. As much as I'd love to add Quintana, I will hate to see Glasnow go if he's part of the trade. Now, a WS will get me past any regrets. ::)
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

0C3E32322614373E3336393E5F0 wrote: I think Glasnow was exactly what we thought he was when he came up last year.  The thing that stood out to me was that he lost too many pitches.  He's still a work in progress, if he gets to the point where he can command his pitches, he'll be an ace.  I think if he stays at this level, he's at least Charlie Morton.

No, he's ready now.  The front office is LYING when they say he needs to stay down and develop a changeup. 

Lying. 

For some reason. 

I disagree with that. I'm sure that Glasnow could work out his issues at the ML level and that he could have some effective starts right away for the Pirates.

But why waste service time with him working things out when he could be doing that in the minors and so he pitches more effective innings at the ML level.

I think especially in the situation Glasnow is in right now, if you bring him up to the majors, he would never be able to use his changeup against live hitters, he's never going to want to throw the pitch either. So he comes up and has to rely on his two strong pitches, and that generally doesn't work for SP's. With him only being 23, and with him having his last two seasons interrupted by injury, I have no problem sending him back to Indy, at least until he can use that third pitch in a game. Otherwise he's going to end up in the bullpen if you try and put him in the ML rotation too soon.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0E332D202F252E0C2433222425410 wrote: I think Glasnow was exactly what we thought he was when he came up last year.  The thing that stood out to me was that he lost too many pitches.  He's still a work in progress, if he gets to the point where he can command his pitches, he'll be an ace.  I think if he stays at this level, he's at least Charlie Morton.

No, he's ready now.  The front office is LYING when they say he needs to stay down and develop a changeup. 

Lying. 

For some reason. 

I disagree with that.  I'm sure that Glasnow could work out his issues at the ML level and that he could have some effective starts right away for the Pirates.

But why waste service time with him working things out when he could be doing that in the minors and so he pitches more effective innings at the ML level.

I think especially in the situation Glasnow is in right now, if you bring him up to the majors, he would never be able to use his changeup against live hitters, he's never going to want to throw the pitch either.  So he comes up and has to rely on his two strong pitches, and that generally doesn't work for SP's.  With him only being 23, and with him having his last two seasons interrupted by injury, I have no problem sending him back to Indy, at least until he can use that third pitch in a game.  Otherwise he's going to end up in the bullpen if you try and put him in the ML rotation too soon.

I agree, sorry I quoted you. I was being sarcastic. I'm just recalling to last Spring/Early summer when the fanbase was railing against the management team. They decided that they were lying when they said that he needs a changeup. That he should be a big league pitcher "right now" and that they were keeping him down because of some unknown yet certainly nefarious scheme. I guess they were lying about him and not Taillon because . . . reasons, I guess? Oh yeah, it was because people want to believe the worst of them and fit their theories to fill that.

Now here it is maybe a year later and he still hasn't a good pitch selection. At least most people see that now. Hopefully people will remember this the next time a player isn't called up the second an outsider fan is certain he is ready. Maybe the Pirates aren't so stupid/"cheap"/evil/knows less than you after all.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Ha, I would have been able to detect the sarcasm if arguments of that ilk weren't being made on a routine basis.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yes, even on this board it was the consensus opinion, and here we're typically a lot more rational that they are "out in the wild." ;)