The Pirate who most irritated, aggitated, you the wrong way

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

There have been some Pirate players who really got my goat. One that comes to mind is Jimmy " The Whale" Anderson. He

was a left-handed starting pitcher who pitched for Bucs from 1999-2002. His record as a Bucco was 24-42, ERA at 5.17, started 89 games. Also gave up 50 homeruns, yielded over 593 in 520 innings. He was told numerous times to work on his weight, but he never paid any attention to it. He was anything but fun to watch toe the old pitching rubber. He literally fell off the mound at a game attempting to move to his right and field a grounder. I was amazed that Lloyd McClendon didn't kill him with his bare hands! Finally, Bucs released him in Dec 2002. It seemed like every time I got tickets to travel to Pittsburgh to see a game, he would pitch. I felt literally cursed...

What former Bucco really got your goat?

Bucs fan in GA :D
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think the only Pirate I ever booed was Bert Blyleven, when he returned from jumping the team in mid-season.  He's in the Hall of Fame now, so I guess he could give a rat's patoot what I think.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Derek Bell.

I also found Jeff Locke very annoying because in the midst of pitching awful he would remind us that he was an All-Star and say that he wasn't pitching badly overall.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I was at a game that Jimmy Anderson pitched, where the temperature at starting time was 95 degrees. He gave up five runnings in the first inning, before recording an out if i recall. I had an invitation to some other plans that I backed out of because I wanted to see that game. AARGH! I held Jimmy Anderson personally responsible for many years.
Quail

Post by Quail »

First guy that came to mind was Jimmy Anderson. He not only sucked at baseball but he somehow managed to do it in such an irritating way that he was like a human rash. When he pitched the Pirates should have been directed by the CDC to give out free bottles of Calamine lotion to those in attendance. :D
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Without a doubt it has to be Bob Nutting
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Quail, your comment cracked me up. I detested Jimmy as well. The guy was terrible. Then again, the Buccos were pretty bad back in the late 1999, early 2000 years... :D Still a funny comment on CDC and Calamine Lotion, LOL! Good One!
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I thought about this, and, honestly, no one. As long as a player wears a jersey that says "Pirates" on the front, I like him and root for him. Granted, I now have a list of three players that would violate that rule for me (Chris Coghlan, Bryce Harper, and Ryan Braun). But, if you play for the Bucs, I root for you. Jung Ho Kang is starting to rub me the wrong way though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Manager: Lloyd McClendon. I can't believe he was given another chance to coach in the majors for the 2017 season.

Old Player: Emil Brown. I thought he was a good talent. He just had no clue out there on the field. None. He never threw to the right base.

Current Player: Josh Harrison. Is it possible for a player to try too hard? He still plays like a like Little Leaguer. gets in too many run downs, runs when he shouldn't, swings in bad situations. He has way too many mental errors. He needs to slow down a bit and realize he isn't the "star" and just be a piece of the team as a whole.

Mental errors kill me. I wish I had the talent growing up as these guys did. Their mental errors make them hard to watch at times.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

IABucs, The three you listed him indeed push my buttons and get my goat over the past few years. Coglan's dirty slide into Kang was not cool and the response was poking fun...And he tried the same thing again the WS against the Indians this season. The guy is a dirty baserunner. Braun is someone who pushes my buttons as well. He and Fielder really drove me nuts back when the Brewers killed us. Bryce Harper is a big hot dog. Hate for Cutch to have to play in the same outfield as Harper.

Cool that you don't have a dislike for any Buccos!

Bucs Fan in GA