ONeil Cruz…

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

ONeil Cruz…

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I haven’t heard anything on him possibly coming up on this off day since we are at the 16 games mark which he had to hit to give him an extra year of free agency. Now that we are at that point my question is what are the Pirates waiting for now?? I know Cruz is only hitting .205 in AAA so far but who really cares at this point. He hit a walk off homerun missile to win the game yesterday for Indy and you just see how much of a difference maker he can be. The only way these guys are gonna improve and get better is to get them up here and play with the Big League club. We don’t need to see guys like Tucker and Alford who stink playing in right field every other day or a guy like Van Meter or Castillo playing out there as well who are totally out of position and not outfielders. You’re at .500 now after 16 games you are playing pretty good and there is a little buzz around the team. Dare I say if you call Cruz up and put him in lineup everyday it might make you a better team then you are now and you might actually win more games than you are doing so right now. Maybe I’m in the minority here but the time is now to make this move. Get the kid up here play him everyday in RF and let’s see what he’s got.
Bobster21

ONeil Cruz…

Post by Bobster21 »

Cruz in the Indy lineup everyday and he's not even making them a better team. He's batting .204. While he's struggling, it's probably not a good idea to have him face a higher level of pitching. As soon as he gets hot I would bring him up but not until then.
GreenWeenie

ONeil Cruz…

Post by GreenWeenie »

I haven't been watching because I don't care about minor leaguers, do I dnk.  I'd just say that, along with him doing well at the plate, I'd be just as willing to make sure that the rest of his play was sound.

To this and every day, I remember how (a certain former general manager) brought Pedro Alvarez up as his bat was hotter than hot in the minors, while he had obvious fatal flaws in other aspects of his trade.

I would also hope that everyone would have Cruz' position nailed down.  It's hard enough to do well at a primary position.  I wouldn't want the guy moved around like some 6-7 pinball.*  Have it figured out before he gets here.

*For those yunguns who dnk what a 'pinball" is, look it up.
fjk090852-7

ONeil Cruz…

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am anxious to see Cruz get called up, but not until he handles AAA pitching. Sure he hit the walk off homer yesterday, but that was his first homer of this season. He needs to get hot with several multiple hit games before he arrives in Pittsburgh. Also concerning another top prospect, Nick Gonzales, he is struggling at Altoona. I know it is only a few weeks into the season, but these high end Pirates prospects better soon begin to produce, or else they may not be the players as advertised.
GreenWeenie

ONeil Cruz…

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm way more excited to see him than I am anxious. I just hope that it's not another hype job.

He seems to have what it takes to do well.
skinnyhorse

ONeil Cruz…

Post by skinnyhorse »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Cruz in the Indy lineup everyday and he's not even making them a better team. He's batting .204. While he's struggling, it's probably not a good idea to have him face a higher level of pitching. As soon as he gets hot I would bring him up but not until then.
I agree with that and I'd tell him that to see if it would get him going.
fjk090852-7

ONeil Cruz…

Post by fjk090852-7 »

726A686F6F78696E737264010 wrote: Cruz in the Indy lineup everyday and he's not even making them a better team. He's batting .204. While he's struggling, it's probably not a good idea to have him face a higher level of pitching. As soon as he gets hot I would bring him up but not until then.
I agree with that and I'd tell him that to see if it would get him going.
If it takes a few more weeks for Cruz to handle AAA pitching that is fine with me. Once he arrives in Pittsburgh I want him to stay, and not have to be sent back to the minors like they had to do with Polanco.