AA/AAA

2.09 ERA

0.79 WHIP

51 innings pitched

8 BB

77 K’s

His fastball has hit 100 MPH

Look at his control!!!!

With the recent draft haul, if we still had Baz, the Farm System would probably be rated #1. Heard reports that the system may be #2 or #3 after the draft, pending signings
CarolinaBucco

Shane Baz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That works out well for us because this team doesn't need any more starting pitching.

Baz was your typical PTBNL throw-in.

Seriously, since when is a No. 1 pick who throws 100 mph a PTBNL ???

I thought all PTBNLers were non-prospects, afterthoughts.

Not No. 1 starters who throw 100 !!

I've always considered the Aramis Ramirez trade as the benchmark for worst Pirates trade of the modern era.

But this one is somehow even worse. Much worse.
Bobster21

Shane Baz

Post by Bobster21 »

0321322F2C292E21023523232F400 wrote: That works out well for us because this team doesn't need any more starting pitching.

I've always considered the Aramis Ramirez trade as the benchmark for worst Pirates trade of the modern era.

I agree that this one was worse. The Ramirez "trade' was strictly a financial deal. The Pirates had run afoul of MLB rules on revenue vs payroll and were forced to unload salary ASAP. They had worked a deal sending Kris Benson to Atlanta but at the last minute he hurt his arm. By subtracting the salaries of Ramirez and Lofton and adding only the salaries of Jose Hernandez, a LMG in the immortal Bobby Hill and a minor leaguer they promptly released, they got their finances in order. It was a dismal trade from a baseball standpoint but it was not made for baseball reasons.

The Archer trade was strictly a baseball deal. Huntington somehow thought the addition of a fading Archer was worth Meadows, Glasnow and Baz. It was irrational and irresponsible from a baseball stsandpoint.
JollyRoger

Shane Baz

Post by JollyRoger »

You could probably make a case that if the Bucs still had those players, Meadows in RF, Glasnow and Baz in the starting rotation that they would be battling the Reds for 2nd just behind the Brewers. That trade alone set the Bucs timetable to compete back 3 years.
BenM

Shane Baz

Post by BenM »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: That works out well for us because this team doesn't need any more starting pitching.

I agree that this one was worse. The Ramirez "trade' was strictly a financial deal. The Pirates had run afoul of MLB rules on revenue vs payroll and were forced to unload salary ASAP. They had worked a deal sending Kris Benson to Atlanta but at the last minute he hurt his arm. By subtracting the salaries of Ramirez and Lofton and adding only the salaries of Jose Hernandez, a LMG in the immortal Bobby Hill and a minor leaguer they promptly released, they got their finances in order. It was a dismal trade from a baseball standpoint but it was not made for baseball reasons. 

The Archer trade was strictly a baseball deal. Huntington somehow thought the addition of a fading Archer was worth Meadows, Glasnow and Baz. It was irrational and irresponsible from a baseball stsandpoint.

And on top of that, none of the guys he traded had reached their arbitration years. They were cheap and under team control. It wasn't like they were impending free agents.
Ecbucs

Shane Baz

Post by Ecbucs »

wouldn't it be ironic if Baz turns out to be NH's best number 1 pick?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Shane Baz

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

270100170111620 wrote: wouldn't it be ironic if Baz turns out to be NH's best number 1 pick?

Indeed it would.  However, if that trade had not been made, Huntington might still be the GM.  And if that's the case, Baz likely would've floundered like Glasnow did here and never reached his potential.  The best thing that happened to Baz (and Meadows and Glasnow) was that he got away from Huntington and his people.
rucker59@gmail.com

Shane Baz

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7F5A59594C675A525047350 wrote: You could probably make a case that if the Bucs still had those players, Meadows in RF, Glasnow and Baz in the starting rotation that they would be battling the Reds for 2nd just behind the Brewers. That trade alone set the Bucs timetable to compete back 3 years.

That hurts. But great point.
steve49

Shane Baz

Post by steve49 »

4163706D6E6B6C63407761616D020 wrote: That works out well for us because this team doesn't need any more starting pitching.

When the trade was made it was said that the PTBNL was of significant value. So we did have a hint ... not that it means anything or makes it any more palatable .
BellevueBuc

Shane Baz

Post by BellevueBuc »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: That works out well for us because this team doesn't need any more starting pitching.

The Pirates were exempt from that rule. Which is actually worse if it was money driven.  McClatchy's inept handling of the finances is how we ended up with Nutting.

The Archer trade, also was not a move the GM wanted to make, and also money driven. Frank Coonley forced the trade because the Pirates needed marketable players to sell tickets.