Next 20 games...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Next 20 games...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

For the Pirates include 6 games with the Brewers both home and away, 3 with the Phillies at home, 2 with the Mariners at home, 3 at Atlanta, and 3 at home against both the Reds and Padres. I will say the Pirates need to go something like 13-7 in these 20 games maybe even a little bit better if they want to really make a strong push and get up there for one of those two wildcard spots. It's definitely doable as well looking at that schedule. A record of 13-7 gets you to 60-52 going into LA to play the Dodgers for 3 games in mid August who are one of the teams you are fighting for a wildcard spot with. I still think the Pirates are in a good position with some of these young pitchers, this lineup, and with this easy schedule the last 70 games to make a decent push in the standings.

I know a lot of people are calling this a bridge year and some people already want to punt on this season and I couldn't disagree more. The Pirates are only 2.5 games out of a playoff spot and when you are that close come late July and early August I feel you have to go for it and still try and get in. You cant just sit back and assume you're going to get there the next year or the year after that. You have to take advantage of it and absolutely cannot take anything for granted.
OrlandoMerced

Next 20 games...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'd say more like 15-5. I know it's only 2.5 games back, but to improve on their standing they need 3 teams to lose every time they win, and every time they lose someone gains on them.
CarolinaBucco

Next 20 games...

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is a real danger week, in my opinion.

Everyone in the baseball world and baseball media is talking about how the Pirates now FINALLY get to the "easy" portion of the schedule. It's just human nature for the players to let up a bit thinking it's "only the Brewers."

Well, I think we've seen enough over the years to know that the Pirates will be lucky to go .500 vs. a steady diet of Brewers, Phillies and Reds.

The Pirates need to be locked in tomorrow night, and treat it like it's a big game vs. Kershaw or Scherzer or the Cards -- and not like it's "just the Brewers."

I am very concerned about the potential of a bad week vs. bad teams.
SteadyFreddy

Next 20 games...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates can't afford a bad week here. You gotta be able to at least win 2 of 3 in both these series and go 4-2 at the very least. Anything less then that I would say would be a huge disappointment. The Pirates need Cole and Liriano to pitch well on this homestand. They both desperately need to pick it up. Their performance so far this season just has not been good enough.
MaineBucs

Next 20 games...

Post by MaineBucs »

The next game the Pirates play will be on July 19; less than 2 weeks before the trade deadline.

With so many games at home, and with days off in between some of the games, I too believe that this is the time when the team needs to make a statement that they are in it to win it. They had a great run before the all-star break and were showing real signs of life. Unfortunately, the team didn't look quite so good in DC. However, this past weekend series will become an afterthought if the Bucs go on a 6-1 or 7-2 game roll over the next 10 days or so.

Anxious to see how the Bucs sort out their current overabundance of mediocrity in the pen and the starting rotation.

Lastly, if the Bucs tank the next 8 games, let's say 2-6 or so, I hope that the team then goes into sell mode and starts to incorporate even more youth into the line-up. For example, Freese could be traded with Harrison and Kang playing 3rd and Harrison and Hanson/Frazier splitting time at 2nd.

UtahPirate

Next 20 games...

Post by UtahPirate »

4E626A6D6641766070030 wrote: The next game the Pirates play will be on July 19; less than 2 weeks before the trade deadline.

With so many games at home, and with days off in between some of the games, I too believe that this is the time when the team needs to make a statement that they are in it to win it.  They had a great run before the all-star break and were showing real signs of life.  Unfortunately, the team didn't look quite so good in DC.  However, this past weekend series will become an afterthought if the Bucs go on a 6-1 or 7-2 game roll over the next 10 days or so.

Anxious to see how the Bucs sort out their current overabundance of mediocrity in the pen and the starting rotation.

Lastly, if the Bucs tank the next 8 games, let's say 2-6 or so, I hope that the team then goes into sell mode and starts to incorporate even more youth into the line-up.  For example, Freese could be traded with Harrison and Kang playing 3rd and Harrison and Hanson/Frazier splitting time at 2nd.

And there's the difficulty in being our GM right now -- and I think a reason for the recent roster move to send Bell down. Are we going to be sellers or buyers at the deadline. This next week will determine which. We tank...

Melancon

Feliz

Freese

Joyce

Jaso

Could all be trading pieces. If we play great then you're looking at some of the young arms going out of the system. Interesting times for NH.