Awesome!
Bobster21

2023 Pirate Hall of Famers

Post by Bobster21 »

Great but why exclude Vern Law?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Great but why exclude Vern Law?

That's a real head scratcher.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

7D2B3D29263C2C272A3D0F28222E2623612C4F0 wrote: Great but why exclude Vern Law?

Great Pirates on that list!

I did send some letters out to several people I guessed might be on the selection committee or had influence asking to consider Vern given is good health at 93. So a little disappointed there. He'll make it, but it would be nice if the timing allowed him to enjoy the honor.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1C3D282119203B283D2C490 wrote: Great but why exclude Vern Law?

I did send some letters out to several people I guessed might be on the selection committee or had influence asking to consider Vern given is good health at 93. So a little disappointed there. He'll make it, but it would be nice if the timing allowed him to enjoy the honor.
I certainly agree- He was very deserving
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I stopped taking these things seriously a while back.  It's not limited to baseball, either. Name any awards show. They apply, too.

I won't say when it began, but these things and "awards" have become popularity contests and campaigns as much as anything.  People need campaign managers to run the circuit and sing their praises.  The standard I use is, is this guy among the best of all time?

Hand me a list of the greatest Pirates Of All Time, Hall Of Famers, call it what you will.  If the names don't include Barry Bonds AND (not 'or') Vernon Law, I wouldn't sign off on it.  Neither should be made to wait, IMO.

Javy

Post by Javy »

1A3B2E271F263D2E3B2A4F0 wrote: Great but why exclude Vern Law?

Given his age and relative health, it would have been prudent to induct him now, rather than later. if the committee was limited to 4, (and I don't know if that was the case), it could have waited another year to induct Friend, as he has already passed. Not to demean Friend in any way, but to your point of allowing him to be on hand and enjoy the moment.

For Groat and Face, they will be able to bask in the glow and that's a great thing for the fans! Tekulve as well.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We don't know all that goes on in a person's life. For all I know, they went with who is available on the date. I hope that's the case.